Sponsored by:

Performance exhaust noise reduction non Z51

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:50 PM
philip513
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Performance exhaust noise reduction non Z51

Hi - hope you folks can help me as I just spent 45 minutes "chatting" with Corvette.com and have no confidence in the answer that I received.
I am ordering a 2015 Stringray NON- Z51. Thinking about including the Code NPP performance exhaust.
I test drove a Z51 last week with performance exhaust. When I dailed down the Mode Select **** on the console it quieted the exhaust substantially.
My question is: does the Mode Select **** quiet the performance exhaust on the non-Z51 car?
Please no guesses as this is a major concern to me as I live in a quiet neighborhood and don't want to unset any neighbors.

Thanks for you response.

Phil in FL
Old 07-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Of course it does. "Z51" has nothing to do with it.
Slip mode dial into "Tour" or lower and the valves close.
Only open in Sport or Track unless you Select the always open box on the DIC.

My car is a non Z51 and I switch things frequently....Like coming into the neighborhood as you mention.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM
surfnkd
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The mode switch quiets except for the initial start up. Sounds sweet!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:09 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Very quiet in Tour, more aggressive in Sport .. major rumble in Track. Very nice setup ..
Old 07-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 916 Likes on 478 Posts
Tech Contributor

Z51 is a handling and lube package - it has nothing to do with the exhaust, you get the exhaust with the z51 package for 2015 but a non z51 will have to get the NPP option if oyu want to hear quiet/loud settings in the car. You have no control over the exhaust on a non NPP base car.

But don't get paranoid, the non z51 non NPP car sounds nice and tame going thru a neighborhood, it won't bother a soul. It only gets aggressive sounding when you hammer it...
Old 07-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Dan Delena
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
Of course it does. "Z51" has nothing to do with it.
Slip mode dial into "Tour" or lower and the valves close.
Only open in Sport or Track unless you Select the always open box on the DIC.

My car is a non Z51 and I switch things frequently....Like coming into the neighborhood as you mention.
+1
Old 07-22-2014, 03:01 PM
c7neb
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by philip513
Hi - hope you folks can help me as I just spent 45 minutes "chatting" with Corvette.com and have no confidence in the answer that I received.
I am ordering a 2015 Stringray NON- Z51. Thinking about including the Code NPP performance exhaust.
I test drove a Z51 last week with performance exhaust. When I dailed down the Mode Select **** on the console it quieted the exhaust substantially.
My question is: does the Mode Select **** quiet the performance exhaust on the non-Z51 car?
Please no guesses as this is a major concern to me as I live in a quiet neighborhood and don't want to unset any neighbors.

Thanks for you response.

Phil in FL
No worries! The NPP is very quiet in a non-z51 car when you want it to be. I am only a few miles from you off of rte. 64 if you want to meet and hear it.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:10 PM
philip513
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default NPP Exhaust

Thanks folks, you're great!! My wife loves the NPP exhaust pipes. I'm the one concerned about irritating my neighbors. I have an "order" in with Sunset and will verify that I want NPP when they call before the order actually goes to GM. I think that will be in a couple of weeks.

Appreciate the off to listen to yours. I test drove a Z51 w/ NPP and it sounds great open and good when toned down. Just wanted to make sure that I would get that in my non-Z51 with NPP.

Phil
Old 07-22-2014, 05:28 PM
c7neb
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks folks, you're great!! My wife loves the NPP exhaust pipes. I'm the one concerned about irritating my neighbors. I have an "order" in with Sunset and will verify that I want NPP when they call before the order actually goes to GM. I think that will be in a couple of weeks.

Appreciate the off to listen to yours. I test drove a Z51 w/ NPP and it sounds great open and good when toned down. Just wanted to make sure that I would get that in my non-Z51 with NPP.

Phil
Anytime, Phil!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Phil,

The NPP is not that noisy, even when open all the time. I wouldn't let those HOA gestapo in those Lakewood Ranch communities worry you about whether your Stingray is too loud. When I lived in the Inlets, I got a letter for the HOA telling me I had to fluff my mulch. I moved to Siesta Key and have no HOA or mulch.

I teach at the med school in Lakewood Ranch and would be happy to show you my non-Z51 with the NPP exhaust.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Thanks folks, you're great!! My wife loves the NPP exhaust pipes.
The NPP is the best of both worlds, because in "Tour" mode, it is actually quieter than the non-NPP when just loafing along; and in "Sport" and "Track" modes it growls pretty good.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Most of the time I drive around in Sport mode and love the NPP sound. On a long trip recently I used the Touring mode for a large portion of the trip and that was simply to see if my gas milage would be better than the Sport mode. To me it seemed that it made no difference.

However at the track I used Track mode and it was awesome!!!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

If you do a search under my name I posted a sound clip of the stock non NPP exhaust on my car at acceleration and idle. It's a pretty good sound all around. Frankly I think it's a great balance for what you are trying to accomplish and save yourself $1200.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance exhaust noise reduction non Z51

Quick Reply: Performance exhaust noise reduction non Z51