Sponsored by:

Goofy Dip Stick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Quick99
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Goofy Dip Stick?

I know the answer to all questions can be found here!

So, here goes. C7, Car #24302, non Z51, Auto, 3100 miles. When checking my oil level I am mystified as to the actual amount of oli in the crankcase because one side of the graduated weight reads Full and the other side reads 1/3 Full -

Yes the dip stick is fully in the tube and the car is level in the garage so why do I get two drastically different readings from the same goofy dip stick?

And, if this is by design do I now average the readings, use one side and ignore the other, or say the hell with it and let it run dry..

Your sage advise is welcome..
Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yes, it goes in on an angle, turn the stick 360 degrees before pulling it back out.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:29 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If you rotate the dipstick, you are just making it read the highest level all the way around so you might as well just read the high side of the stick.
The true level would be half way between the high and low readings.
Not sure why GM made the stick go in the crankcase at such a steep angle.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

GM dipsticks have frustrated me for years! The dipstick on my old C5 was ridiculous, the level would always show completely full, so I would think I wasn't burning oil but when I drained it at oil change time I would measure what came out and find that it was down a quart. So I just stopped using the dipstick completely and would just top it up based on mileage (I knew the car used about a quart every 6000 miles so I'd just add about 1/4 qt every 1500 or so) Lucky for me, my C6 only uses about 1/10th of a quart of oil every 2000 miles, so I really don't need to check the dipstick at all, I'll just continue to measure how much comes out at oil change time so I know how much oil needs to be added in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Goofy Dip Stick?

Quick Reply: Goofy Dip Stick?