Sponsored by:

Valentine Radar Detector Savvy Option

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Valentine Radar Detector Savvy Option

I have read a lot of readers chat about the difficulty installing radar detectors.
Valentine offers an option for its detectors called "Savvy".

This option plugs directly OBD port under the dash of all vehicles produced fron 1996 to present.

This option not only let's you have a keyed power supply, but you have a dial to adjust the speed that the detector kicks in full alert. It still works below the set speed but acts when an alert is sensed as if you instantly hit the mute button.

If you order with a new Valentine Radar Detector the cost is $49. extra. If you forget to like I did, it is $69.+ freight of $9.95.

Great option to make install easy. Just run wire up windshield molding and to spot you want to mount. 15 minutes maximum.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:51 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
I have read a lot of readers chat about the difficulty installing radar detectors.
Valentine offers an option for its detectors called "Savvy".

This option plugs directly OBD port under the dash of all vehicles produced fron 1996 to present.

This option not only let's you have a keyed power supply, but you have a dial to adjust the speed that the detector kicks in full alert. It still works below the set speed but acts when an alert is sensed as if you instantly hit the mute button.

If you order with a new Valentine Radar Detector the cost is $49. extra. If you forget to like I did, it is $69.+ freight of $9.95.

Great option to make install easy. Just run wire up windshield molding and to spot you want to mount. 15 minutes maximum.
Very interested in this. I just googled the link. http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/ Cool stuff! Hoping someone here may have used this for some direct feedback on the use and install.

Last edited by beachcomber; 07-08-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:01 PM
OthmanAlJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we please get a pic of the set up I currently have a Cobra XRS9570 but was thinking of upgrading to the v1 since people have been saying that theyve had the same unit for 10-15 years and it still works great and the only reason I bought the cobra was basic detection and it was cheap and in the recommended products during an amazon purchase .

Wanted to see the best setup for when I get my c7
Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by OthmanAlJ
Can we please get a pic of the set up I currently have a Cobra XRS9570 but was thinking of upgrading to the v1 since people have been saying that theyve had the same unit for 10-15 years and it still works great and the only reason I bought the cobra was basic detection and it was cheap and in the recommended products during an amazon purchase .

Wanted to see the best setup for when I get my c7
Just go to there web sight and look up the option Savvy
www.valentine1.com
Old 07-08-2014, 01:42 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

My V-1 is old but I bought the Savvy for the C7 in September. Installation couldn't be easier, it works great. A couple quirks are non-issues:

1) when you open a door or trunk the V-1 powers up but it times out; car can sit a month and the battery is still up.

2) with the Savvy plugged into the ALDL port OnStar cannot remotely read your tire pressures and certain other data...but who cares about that?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:17 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
2) with the Savvy plugged into the ALDL port OnStar cannot remotely read your tire pressures and certain other data...but who cares about that?
Did you have to unplug an OnStar port to plug the Savvy into the OBD port?
Old 07-08-2014, 02:40 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
Did you have to unplug an OnStar port to plug the Savvy into the OBD port?
No. You just plug it into the OBD port. It will not let OnStar
read your cars "vital signs" however, which it does on a monthly
schedule.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:13 PM
OthmanAlJ
Advanced

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
Just go to there web sight and look up the option Savvy
www.valentine1.com
looked as soon as I saw this no setup pics on a c7 with the savvy and radar
Old 07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed the Savvy last week and it works well with the aforementioned quirks. Beat the heck out of tearing apart the trim to run wires and the low speed mute works quite well.

Well worth the cost IMHO.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:29 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Default Sorry No Pics

Originally Posted by OthmanAlJ
looked as soon as I saw this no setup pics on a c7 with the savvy and radar
I am sorry I have no pics, but it is a very simple plug in.

As said in a previous thread, the Onstar service reporting which is pooled once a month will not report some items such as tire pressure.
This all happens automatically when you start the car the first time.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Kayir
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the cord that comes with it long enough that you can mount the actual V1 anywhere? could you use a blendmount and run the wire along the headliner and down to the OBD port?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:13 PM
ddman718
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kayir
Is the cord that comes with it long enough that you can mount the actual V1 anywhere? could you use a blendmount and run the wire along the headliner and down to the OBD port?
Yes... I believe the cord that comes with it is either a 7ft or 8ft cord and it's long enough to make it up through the roof liner... over to the for pillar.... and down to the port. I have this set up and it took me about 10min to do. Much better than running wires all the way to the back of the trunk. Another forum member had pics of his setup a while back. If you do a search I'm sure you can find it. I will take some pics of mine later on
Old 07-08-2014, 04:18 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by Kayir
The cord that a Valentine Radar Detector uses is a standard 4 wire telephone wire. The one that comes with the radar detector is long enough to go from the OBD plug under the dash to anywhere on the windshield.

By the way the Savvy option as far as I know is for the Valentine only,
Old 07-08-2014, 04:50 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Doesn't this make it a 'no-brainer' for a radar install? Why go through all the trouble of removing all the trim and tapping into an alternative source? This seems like a great way to go and the detector (from what I read) is one of the best. Hmm.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:20 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

I'll echo other responses here. I have the v1 with a blendmount and the Savvy. Works great and very easy to install. I also can't imagine why people tear apart the dash to install their V1. The ability to change the speed sensor to different auto mute speeds is very convenient.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 PM
pbarrows
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by ddman718
Yes... I believe the cord that comes with it is either a 7ft or 8ft cord and it's long enough to make it up through the roof liner... over to the for pillar.... and down to the port. I have this set up and it took me about 10min to do. Much better than running wires all the way to the back of the trunk. Another forum member had pics of his setup a while back. If you do a search I'm sure you can find it. I will take some pics of mine later on
My installer installed my passport max and wired it to the homelink in the rear view mirror. It does power up when you open the door or trunk but turns off after a few minutes. Was an easy install and he didn't have to go all the way to the back or remove any dash parts. Doesn't effect any of the systems in the car at all.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:57 PM
ddman718
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbarrows@me.com
My installer installed my passport max and wired it to the homelink in the rear view mirror. It does power up when you open the door or trunk but turns off after a few minutes. Was an easy install and he didn't have to go all the way to the back or remove any dash parts. Doesn't effect any of the systems in the car at all.
I'm sure that way is much cleaner looking but also the benefit of doing it by running the wire all the way to the OBD port is because that's where you have to hook savvy up to and that's a Really good piece of equipment if you like a quiet V1... especially in city driving. But for the Passport Max which you have it makes sense tapping into the mirror

Get notified of new replies

To Valentine Radar Detector Savvy Option

Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Installed pics

For reference, here are some installed pics of the Valentine One head unit on a Blendmount holder, the SAVVY plugged into the OBD, and the remote unit velcroed to the dash. Honestly, there's not much to see... It's pretty clean and easy. You can do it all yourself. The only extra tool that will help you is a plastic pry/push tool to shove the cord under the very stiff trim around the windshield. I bought a cheapo E-Prance kit from Amazon, which does the job nicely:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7XNQHG http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7XNQHG

I experimented with putting the remote unit on the left of the steering wheel, just under the trunk release switch. I kept hitting my knee on it when I got in and out of the car, so I moved it to the right of the wheel. I can spot the display through the steering wheel and it's easier to press the mute button. The remote unit is not at all necessary for operation. I find it easier than reaching up to the rearview mirror to mute the alarm and it makes the display lights less intrusive in your field of vision.

HEAD UNIT ON THE BLENDMOUNT, ATTACHED BELOW REARVIEW MIRROR

SAVVY UNIT PLUGGED INTO OBD PORT (please excuse dirt on floor!)

REMOTE UNIT GLUED TO DASH

Old 07-09-2014, 12:43 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by CaryKen
For reference, here are some installed pics of the Valentine One head unit on a Blendmount holder, the SAVVY plugged into the OBD, and the remote unit velcroed to the dash. Honestly, there's not much to see... It's pretty clean and easy. You can do it all yourself. The only extra tool that will help you is a plastic pry/push tool to shove the cord under the very stiff trim around the windshield. I bought a cheapo E-Prance kit from Amazon, which does the job nicely: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7XNQHG

I experimented with putting the remote unit on the left of the steering wheel, just under the trunk release switch. I kept hitting my knee on it when I got in and out of the car, so I moved it to the right of the wheel. I can spot the display through the steering wheel and it's easier to press the mute button. The remote unit is not at all necessary for operation. I find it easier than reaching up to the rearview mirror to mute the alarm and it makes the display lights less intrusive in your field of vision.

HEAD UNIT ON THE BLENDMOUNT, ATTACHED BELOW REARVIEW MIRROR

SAVVY UNIT PLUGGED INTO OBD PORT (please excuse dirt on floor!)

REMOTE UNIT GLUED TO DASH

Very neat install. I was wondering why the need for the hidden remote?

Do you live in an area that radar dectors are against the law
Old 07-09-2014, 12:56 PM
OthmanAlJ
Advanced

Thanks Ken thats exactly what I was looking for, wanted a complete idiot proof method of routing every wire because ive never done something like this, my cobra setup was basically connect wire to power and stick it on the center of the dash with the wire just hanging there lol

Quick Reply: Valentine Radar Detector Savvy Option