Sponsored by:

My Grand Plan for a C7.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:57 AM
Beachhz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Grand Plan for a C7.

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum for obvious reasons I will state below but I currently own a 2014 Mazda 6 and I'm very interested in the C7.

It's been my dream to one day own a C7 ever since I saw the release about a year and a half ago and recently I have thought about actually purchasing one once my current lease is up. I'm currently attending FAU and have a full time job at Papa Johns as a delivery driver (with tips, reimbursement and paychecks I make about $30,000 a year working 30 hours a week). Obviously if I got this car I would get another job, I'm just working here during college because good hours, decent pay and its fun. Being a college student at home, I have almost zero expenses so I save about 50-75% of my pay every month.

I've actually rented a Velocity Yellow 3LT Z51 from a friend of mine in Miami and it was even better than I thought. The 50 mile drive back from Miami was heaven. I'd put it up there with one of the best days so far. But I've decided I don't need all the stuff in the 3LT so below is what I've decided on.

Here's what I'm wondering. I'm currently 8 months in on a 2014 Mazda 6 lease that is 42 months. It will be up June 18th, 2017. I'm wondering what would be the best way to approach affording a C7 when my lease is up, but here is what I thought would be the best way.

On average I save $1500 a month. So I save up until around December of 2016. By then I should have around $40,000 saved up, which is my goal (give or take a few weeks). Since I bought my Mazda from Lou Bachrodt and they have a neighbor Chevy dealership I was hoping maybe they would wave my last few months payments if I stick with them. With $40,000 down, 3% APR and a 5 year loan, I can reach my goal of a $425 a month payment which is only a little bit more than my current payment on my Mazda lease.

Torch Red 1LT w/ Z51 Package - $62,725
-Jet Black Leather Interior
-Black Split 5-Spoke Wheels
-Red Painted Brake Calipers
-Carbon Flash Mirrors/Spoiler
-Transparant Roof Panel
-Performance Exhaust
-6 Speed Auto Transmission
http://gyazo.com/ac989c9f4a67084c5b8f75fff1f11ef8

Am I crazy? And what do you guys think about my build

-Brandon
Old 07-08-2014, 01:01 AM
Beachhz
Instructor

Oops, posted picture with wrong interior, but I'm sure ya get the point
Old 07-08-2014, 01:02 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

There's no telling what thing will be like three years from now. You should be asking these questions when you're MUCH closer to the end of your lease.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:15 AM
MrGTC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome, Brandon! Here's my suggestion: stick with your savings plan and reassess your goals and wishes at the end of every year. I say this because there will be plenty of nice new cars coming out over the next few years that you may like as well. Also, you never know if your tastes and preferences in life may change (ie. pick up sailing, go traveling, etc.). As a young man with potentially $40k saved up in a few years, there are many things you can do with that money.

Ps. The 2015 model stingrays will be using an 8 speed auto instead of the 6 speed I like the options you chose though.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:56 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Beachhz
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum for obvious reasons I will state below but I currently own a 2014 Mazda 6 and I'm very interested in the C7.

It's been my dream to one day own a C7 ever since I saw the release about a year and a half ago and recently I have thought about actually purchasing one once my current lease is up. I'm currently attending FAU and have a full time job at Papa Johns as a delivery driver (with tips, reimbursement and paychecks I make about $30,000 a year working 30 hours a week). Obviously if I got this car I would get another job, I'm just working here during college because good hours, decent pay and its fun. Being a college student at home, I have almost zero expenses so I save about 50-75% of my pay every month.

I've actually rented a Velocity Yellow 3LT Z51 from a friend of mine in Miami and it was even better than I thought. The 50 mile drive back from Miami was heaven. I'd put it up there with one of the best days so far. But I've decided I don't need all the stuff in the 3LT so below is what I've decided on.

Here's what I'm wondering. I'm currently 8 months in on a 2014 Mazda 6 lease that is 42 months. It will be up June 18th, 2017. I'm wondering what would be the best way to approach affording a C7 when my lease is up, but here is what I thought would be the best way.

On average I save $1500 a month. So I save up until around December of 2016. By then I should have around $40,000 saved up, which is my goal (give or take a few weeks). Since I bought my Mazda from Lou Bachrodt and they have a neighbor Chevy dealership I was hoping maybe they would wave my last few months payments if I stick with them. With $40,000 down, 3% APR and a 5 year loan, I can reach my goal of a $425 a month payment which is only a little bit more than my current payment on my Mazda lease.

Torch Red 1LT w/ Z51 Package - $62,725
-Jet Black Leather Interior
-Black Split 5-Spoke Wheels
-Red Painted Brake Calipers
-Carbon Flash Mirrors/Spoiler
-Transparant Roof Panel
-Performance Exhaust
-6 Speed Auto Transmission
http://gyazo.com/ac989c9f4a67084c5b8f75fff1f11ef8

Am I crazy? And what do you guys think about my build

-Brandon
First, don't forget to budget your insurance. I'm guessing there will be a considerable difference from your Mazda 6.

Unless you are going to do some track racing, drop the Z51 and save some money. Many on the board here will say this and I would tend to agree. I do not have a Z51 package and highway handling is still great.

All Black interior in the Florida sun and heat?? I would opt for the Red for something a little cooler, but that's me. Your call of course.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Black wheels, but again, your call.

You'll love the performance exhaust. I drive in the Sport mode all the time for the sound.

I'm also partial to the stinger stripe on the hood too. It breaks up the the Red real nice.

Just one "old guy's" opinion.

Good luck!!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:06 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

The transparent roof ruins the look of the car. That roof line looks much better with some paint on it. Go with the standard painted/transparent combo so you can get both looks.

If you like black wheels, good choice with carbon flash option. I personally hate black wheels, but if you like them then get them.

It's what you like. Get what you want.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:07 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Except for if you want yellow paint and adrenaline red seats. That is an abomination. Don't ever do that. That is not allowed.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 AM
murtro
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mpuzach
There's no telling what thing will be like three years from now. You should be asking these questions when you're MUCH closer to the end of your lease.

Meets girl, she finds out he has bank, he thinks she is cute, new corvette dream becomes a lower priority than dates, a ring, mortgage, diapers, etc. Settles for a truck and eventually a C5. Hmmmm....sounds familiar.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Along4theRide
CF Old Timer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Except for if you want yellow paint and adrenaline red seats. That is an abomination. Don't ever do that. That is not allowed.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 AM
quadeddie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brandon,

You see people on this forum who are real enthusiasts and I think you're just aiming for validation.

Getting a $70k car when you're only making $30k a year? Not very smart. Save your money, get out of your parent's basement and be a man. Get a real job, get some good savings then maybe 10 years down the road start looking at depreciating assets like this.

You know what $70k is in investment terms? It's retirement when you're 65 if you invest it now (at college age).

But, you're not going to like my post, so carry on and buy your stupid car.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-08-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Name calling is not allowed.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:49 AM
ColJack
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by quadeddie
Brandon,

You see people on this forum who are real enthusiasts and I think you're just aiming for validation.

Getting a $70k car when you're only making $30k a year? Not very smart. Save your money, get out of your parent's basement and be a man. Get a real job, get some good savings then maybe 10 years down the road start looking at depreciating assets like this.

You know what $70k is in investment terms? It's retirement when you're 65 if you invest it now (at college age).

"
From another "old man now living on his retirement savings

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-08-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:53 AM
Nate GM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think you could definitely do it. But my advice would be to not make the decision yet. Start saving every single penny that you earn until your lease is up. And once you have 40-50k and your lease is up, you can decide on whether you still really want the car or not.

I'm 19 and was able to afford this car by working hard for several years and saving every penny. If I can do it, anyone can. Good luck Brandon!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:55 AM
Nate GM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murtro
Meets girl, she finds out he has bank, he thinks she is cute, new corvette dream becomes a lower priority than dates, a ring, mortgage, diapers, etc. Settles for a truck and eventually a C5. Hmmmm....sounds familiar.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 AM
Beachhz
Instructor

Originally Posted by murtro

I don't really plan on getting married until late 20's, don't plan on rushing into a relationship and then having it end. Learned from my dad, lol.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:38 AM
Beachhz
Instructor

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Yea I understand, I'm just a plan ahead kind of guy, plus I'd like to have an idea of how much it will cost.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:41 AM
Beachhz
Instructor

Originally Posted by quadeddie
Brandon,

What I'm making at the time has nothing to do it, I just thought id toss that in there. I'm not looking for validation, I'm just looking for ideas on how to go about this, like I said. I'm not going to wait until I'm 40 to get a car, when I can afford it now if I play my cards right. I can't believe I'm saying this, but you only live once so I'm going to take advantage of it.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-08-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:44 AM
Beachhz
Instructor

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
First, don't forget to budget your insurance. I'm guessing there will be a considerable difference from your Mazda 6.

Unless you are going to do some track racing, drop the Z51 and save some money. Many on the board here will say this and I would tend to agree. I do not have a Z51 package and highway handling is still great.

All Black interior in the Florida sun and heat?? I would opt for the Red for something a little cooler, but that's me. Your call of course.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Black wheels, but again, your call.

You'll love the performance exhaust. I drive in the Sport mode all the time for the sound.

I'm also partial to the stinger stripe on the hood too. It breaks up the the Red real nice.

Just one "old guy's" opinion.

Good luck!!
I don't plan on tracking it, but without Z51, I have to purchase the spoiler and wheels separately. Plus my current car has a black interior, with some tint and a windshield shade I think it will be fine. But I do appreciate the feedback

Oh, and the insurance shouldn't be a problem. I got some quotes just for an idea, it's only a little more than my mazda because they consider my car a sports car (lol). Plus I'll be older so hopefully it will be lower. Worse scenario, I put it on my dads and give him the money each month.

Last edited by Beachhz; 07-08-2014 at 03:48 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My Grand Plan for a C7.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 AM
level6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beachhz
What I'm making at the time has nothing to do it, I just thought id toss that in there. I'm not looking for validation, I'm just looking for ideas on how to go about this, like I said. I'm not going to wait until I'm 40 to get a car, when I can afford it now if I play my cards right. I can't believe I'm saying this, but you only live once so I'm going to take advantage of it.
So get out of your lease, there are ways, and just get your c7 now. You'll enjoy the vette experience so much, you'll figure out how to pay for it.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:18 AM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by level6
So get out of your lease, there are ways, and just get your c7 now. You'll enjoy the vette experience so much, you'll figure out how to pay for it.

Yeah do this with a base car. save money and buy real estate young man!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:39 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

First, congrats on having your life in order and a plan at such a young age. You're wise to even consider these things instead of just jumping in before figuring it all out.

Second, I apologize for some of my fellow forum members who do not understand basic courtesy and decency and who feel the need to call you an idiot. It's unfortunate.

Third, to the actual car stuff; I think that you picked some solid options for a minimalist build. If you're never going to track it and not getting the magnetic ride, I'd drop the Z51 and get the appearance package which starts in 2015 and upgrade to 2LT. It's worth it for most people in the long run. Consider the painted roof, but realize that later you can get a second one to accessorize should you not get it first. I have black interior in mine (well, I will, as I get it today) and live further north than you do but having riden in a black interior in the sun I can say that the ventilated seats are incredible. They might not be in the 1LT, I don't remember, but it's make the upgrade worth it alone to me if I were further south. Torch red is gorgeous with black interior in my opinion and the same setup that I bought. I also got black rims and red calipers, but a convertible. You've got good taste

Good luck in whatever you decide. These cars will likely be made for 7 years or more, so do keep that in mind and don't rush yourself. Time is on your side my friend.

Quick Reply: My Grand Plan for a C7.