Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner from LA (former BMW M fan)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:21 PM
mattkim85
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner from LA (former BMW M fan)

Greetings everyone,

I am a new member from Los Angeles, and this is my 1st corvette, also my first American car. A little background of cars goes from an Acura RSX(6MT), Honda S2000(6MT), Nissan 370Z(6MT), E93 M3(6MT), E92 M3(DCT), and currently drive an F10 M5(DCT) & Arctic White 3LT Z51 Coupe (7MT).

Honestly, I was skeptical at first because the only seat time I ever had in an American car were those of a typical run down car from a Hertz or Enterprise. But after a lot of research (but no seat time), I decided to pull the trigger.

The process was very easy. I looked at the Vendors on this forum and made some calls. Finally found a dealer out of state (MO) that had the color and options that I wanted and haggled for a couple minutes to get a couple thousand off, then put a deposit over the phone. Filled out a credit app online and got the finalized paperwork to be signed via Fedex overnight. The car was due the following week and I found a car transportation company to pick up and deliver.

Car was delivered to my doorstep 7/1 3:30 AM (Yes AM). It had some delays because of some door issues with the truck but it made it just in time for my little getaway to Palm springs. Next morning I was off and i wont lie, it was torture, trying to control my right foot AND tell my brain I must follow the break in procedure. But eventually on the drive back I failed miserably, and havent looked back ever since. (400 miles on the clock)

Here are my personal opinions of the car:

The seats were "comfortable" given they are competition seats. They hug you extremely well in the corners but me being a average sized guy at 5'10" 180lbs, it was a little tight. Not like aching after a 2 and a half hour trip through traffic, but still tight. Also I don't know if my seating posture is off, but my left buttocks would go numb if i dont readjust my butt for a long time. I might consider trading my seats for touring seats if it keeps bugging me, but so far hasnt really been an issue.

Also the rev match feature is very useful. I am not a professional driver nor a track junkie. I quit trying to heel and toe on my M3 and didnt plan on trying with the vette. But the rev match is pretty slow compared to the rev match feature on the 370Z that i had a while back. Meaning the revs wont kick up fast enough on an aggressive down shift (Like from 6 - 3 at 60 mph). Other than that the shifter feels fine and after a couple of days, I don't get lost shifting from 4 to 5th.

Exterior is subjective but I love it. I like how it gets alot of attention and personally, this was the strongest selling point of the car. I don't think i have ever gotten this many thumbs up with any of my previous cars.

The navi..........sucks. Its horrible. Its slow, needs a deep FIRM press to do anything, and leaves fingerprints everywhere and its driving me nuts. I realized that having to firmly press it and wait for it to react is a very easy way to get into a car accident. I didnt realize how long i was keeping my eyes off of the road. Also it keeps changing its mind on how it wants to "navigate" me to a destination...

Magnetic Ride is a must. I have been spoiled from my previous M cars with adjustable dampers and this car doesnt dissappoint. The change in personality with a turn of a **** is cool and you can really feel the difference. I personally think in touring mode, it feels just as good in the bumps as my lowered M5 in Sport Mode.

Dual exhaust is a must as well, unless you plan on going aftermarket. And the sound is second to none. I think it sounds as good, if not better as the previous M3 V8s.

Torque is also very good. It doesnt come on alarmingly like my M5 but it is linear and I personally like that better.

I personally dont get why you dont get a sensor on the door to "lock" the doors. I know you can unlock it by reaching in the handle, but am I missing something here?

Minor gripes aside, I really like this car. its fast, sexy, "comfortable", and just a blast to drive.

Here are some horrible pics
Attached Images     
Old 07-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Congrats Matt.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Great review. Beautiful car! I agree with your point about the slowness of the navi, a software update should hopefully fix that one day. What do you mean that the looks are subjective?

I'd love to see more of the M5, that's a sick car and I want one!!
Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,106 Likes on 6,184 Posts

Thanks for the review and

Not sure I understand your "lock sensor" statement. You can set the locks to lock automatically when you shut the doors (after a few seconds delay).
Old 07-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

On some cars, BMWs included, if you push a button on the door handle or press down on the actual door handle itself, the doors lock. But you're right, the car has a lock feature after you exit the vehicle so there is no need to press a button to lock the doors.

Last edited by Mfserge; 07-06-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:54 PM
mattkim85
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mfserge
On some cars, BMWs included, if you push a button on the door handle or press down on the actual door handle itself, the doors lock. But you're right, the car has a lock feature after you exit the vehicle so there is no need to press a button to lock the doors.
Yeah I think i read that in the manual. But i personally want the confidence of locking it myself so i have peace of mind..
Old 07-06-2014, 10:01 PM
mattkim85
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mfserge
Great review. Beautiful car! I agree with your point about the slowness of the navi, a software update should hopefully fix that one day. What do you mean that the looks are subjective?

I'd love to see more of the M5, that's a sick car and I want one!!
Cant wait for the update!

And I forgot which forum i was in to call the looks subjective! my bad!

The M5 is a different beast. Its stupid fast for what it is and comfortable. It definitely doesn't get as much thumbs up as the vette though.
Attached Images    
Old 07-06-2014, 10:05 PM
MrGTC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome, Matt! I'm debating between a delivery by rail to a local dealership or delivery by truck like you. I'm ordering my vette out of state like you. The Chevy dealers are just ridiculous in LA. Which truck company did you go with?
Old 07-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mattkim85
The M5 is a different beast. Its stupid fast for what it is and comfortable. It definitely doesn't get as much thumbs up as the vette though.
OH YEA!!!!! I love that, what a car!!! Congrats on owning two amazing cars both of which are two totally different animals but both insanely awesome.

Tint would look great on that badboy!!

Just wait till you see how many thumbs up and comments you get in the C7, it's crazy, fun, scary etc.

Last edited by Mfserge; 07-06-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:26 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Welcome! Thanks for a well thought out review. You will LOVE this car.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:27 PM
mattkim85
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MrGTC
Welcome, Matt! I'm debating between a delivery by rail to a local dealership or delivery by truck like you. I'm ordering my vette out of state like you. The Chevy dealers are just ridiculous in LA. Which truck company did you go with?
I used Montway which is a broker I believe. Ace American Transportation is who I ended up with (By going through Montway). They took 4 more days than what they initially told me, giving me excuses left and right. But the car is here without a scratch so that is all that matters now. $1400 shipped from MO.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:24 AM
MrGTC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Montway which is a broker I believe. Ace American Transportation is who I ended up with (By going through Montway). They took 4 more days than what they initially told me, giving me excuses left and right. But the car is here without a scratch so that is all that matters now. $1400 shipped from MO.
Thanks for the details

I have to wait three more months for my '15
Old 07-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,106 Likes on 6,184 Posts

Yeah I think i read that in the manual. But i personally want the confidence of locking it myself so i have peace of mind..
You can have it honk the horn or flash the lights when it locks to give you that confidence. I have mine set to honk so that I can hear it as I walk away.

There is a door lock button on the inside of the door that you could press while exiting.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:24 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome Matt. I own a BMW 335i, and use it for my daily driver. It has over 161K miles on it, 2007, I am the original owner, and love the car. This was my first and last BMW. I am most likely going back to purchase a Mini, as it was much more fun to drive. I own a 2014 Corvette Convertible and this is my 8th Corvette. The BMW is just too expensive to maintain for small parts. For example to change a battery you MUST bring it back to the dealer to adjust the computer to assure it accepts the new battery, price for battery and install about $400. Replace a battery on any Corvette, price of the battery. That is one of many examples. I keep the BMW as the DD because its comfortable, decent mileage, and good performance, but most of all its paid for.

Once you get more involved with your Corvette, you will see why the Corvette is so popular. They are not the best cars in the world, but they are American, popular, and head turners.... Welcome to the Corvette family.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:41 PM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet ride!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:09 PM
gateman7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on an awesome car !

I thought I was an early bird with a 6:50 AM home delivery, until I read your post. 3:00 in the morning is CRAZY but when you want this car you do what you have to. I ordered mine in March and took delivery on 7/3 also an Arctic White 3LT Z51 Coupe.

Best of luck to you with your new C7 and I absolutely agree it is difficult not to press further down with your right foot.

Enjoy every mile and stay safe.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:16 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Received 190 Likes on 182 Posts

Congrats on your car man. If you had to chose between the M5 and C7 what do you think you would pick. That would be one hard decision.

Get notified of new replies

To New owner from LA (former BMW M fan)

Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the C7 club!!

And I just love it that you picked the best color combinations!
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Greetings everyone,

I am a new member from Los Angeles, and this is my 1st corvette, also my first American car.
The navi..........sucks. Its horrible. Its slow, needs a deep FIRM press to do anything, and leaves fingerprints everywhere and its driving me nuts. I realized that having to firmly press it and wait for it to react is a very easy way to get into a car accident.
Hi Matt, welcome aboard. The C7 is also my first American sports car in a long time, ever since an unpleasant lemon experience with an '85 Fiero that I won't bore you further with.

Anyhow, in an effort to be useful: the touch sensitivity of the nav screen is adjustable. It drove me nuts until I figured this out. Setting the touch to be much more delicate also cuts down on the fingerprints!

Enjoy your ride--looks great.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:55 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Great looking Vette Matt. I've owned my fair share of M cars as well (E46M3, E60 M5 and two E92M3's). Loved every one of them and think they are wonderful cars. Looking forward to early next spring to picking up a C7 myself.

Much like I'd never own a C7 as a DD, I'd never own an M3/M4 for a fun weekend car. They are just too pedestrian looking. Having said that, I don't think there is a better performance oriented daily driver than the M3. It does so many things so well. It just doesn't have that "WOW" factor like the Vettes have.

I'd spec my C7 exactly the way you have specced yours. Enjoy it man!!!!!

Quick Reply: New owner from LA (former BMW M fan)