C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's Interior Heat with Transparent Roof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:53 PM
C8gman
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

Have always went with a solid top on all 5 of my vettes. Texas heat gets my solid roof cars hot enough as it is!

Although, I did go with a ceramic window tint this time on my C7 so hopefully that helps with the 100+ temps we are about to start seeing!
Old 07-06-2014, 06:59 PM
AustinVettes
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
Funny... We've had transparent roofs for all 5 of ours, including the C7, and have never had a problem with them. The C5 used to get quite hot in full sun, but the C6's and the C7 do great even in sunny Southern California desert sun. Had both tops for the second C5 and both C6's and never use them.

Just drove across country in our new C7, transparent top only, and never had an issue. AC works great, and while you can definitely feel the difference it isn't bad at all. Well worth the view, and wouldn't have it any other way myself.

Never have understood the comments about 'unbearable', etc.

To each their own.
100 degree temps are the norm during summers in Austin. A few summers ago, we had over 60 days of 100+ degree temperatures.

Pulling out of the garage and driving in those temps is easy. I have an SUV with a panoramic sunroof, and the air conditioner can keep up without any issues.

The problem is when you leave your car out in the sun all day at the office parking lot. Even in my non-glass roof corvettes, sometimes you get in your car and the heat inside takes your breath away. The shifters can be too hot to touch on occasion.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:06 PM
C8gman
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinVettes
100 degree temps are the norm during summers in Austin. A few summers ago, we had over 60 days of 100+ degree temperatures.

Pulling out of the garage and driving in those temps is easy. I have an SUV with a panoramic sunroof, and the air conditioner can keep up without any issues.

The problem is when you leave your car out in the sun all day at the office parking lot. Even in my non-glass roof corvettes, sometimes you get in your car and the heat inside takes your breath away. The shifters can be too hot to touch on occasion.

Well said. Sometimes it's not even all-day - just 2-3 hours can have that effect!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:18 PM
396tears
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

for me .. not as hot as the c5 was

air con cools it down quickly enough

i drive with roof off and the air con on about 1/3
and the seat venting on 2

even the wife likes it (with her hat on of course)

my hair(s) doesn't even get messed up!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Funny... We've had transparent roofs for all 5 of ours, ... and have never had a problem with them.
Our last 4 coupes have had transparent tops; and wouldn't have it any other way. Living in Ohio, and none of those coupes being daily drivers... it's easy to avoid "oven baking" days.

But... I'm not numb to the reality that in certain parts of the country - it can be too hot for transparent tops.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 PM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

The Inland Empire in Southern California gets just as hot, although fortunately not as humid. Owned Corvettes for nearly 15 years now, daily drivers, so not unfamiliar. Interiors closed up get very hot regardless of transparent or solid top. Fortunately the remote start is a nice addition allowing for some pre-cooling prior to having to enter the cabin.

Still stand on my previous position - lots of experience with this and very happy with mine.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 AM
Rcpylon
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transparent Roof

I have a c 7 with a transparent roof for 9 months in Orlando FL. The aircond. cools the car down very fast. I love the car and the roof.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Wiscane
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

... What color interior do you have ?

Originally Posted by Rcpylon
I have a c 7 with a transparent roof for 9 months in Orlando FL. The aircond. cools the car down very fast. I love the car and the roof.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey ATX C7! Summer is definitely here in central TX and I'm still enjoying my transparent roof. Had the 2 roof option on my C6 and never used the painted top. I just like the open car feeling that the transparent roof provides. I purchased the cheapo roof shade from Wally World ($6.99) as an interim step before the custom shade became available. I works so well I have not bothered to purchase the custom shade from DSV. However, my car does not sit outside for hours on end so the cheapo shade (w/ the a/c) continues to work for me

I used the aftermarket DSV roof shade on my C6 transparent top for many summers in FL & TX heat with excellent results and would highly recommend this product as it essentially makes the trans roof = to the painted top wrt heat transmission...for many of us the transparent roof is the ONLY option!

Last edited by beepster; 07-07-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Funny... We've had transparent roofs for all 5 of ours, including the C7, and have never had a problem with them. The C5 used to get quite hot in full sun, but the C6's and the C7 do great even in sunny Southern California desert sun. Had both tops for the second C5 and both C6's and never use them.

Just drove across country in our new C7, transparent top only, and never had an issue. AC works great, and while you can definitely feel the difference it isn't bad at all. Well worth the view, and wouldn't have it any other way myself.

Never have understood the comments about 'unbearable', etc.

To each their own.
I second your experiences....never had a problem as some have described....
Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 AM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by beepster
Hey ATX C7! Summer is definitely here in central TX and I'm still enjoying my transparent roof. Had the 2 roof option on my C6 and never used the painted top. I just like the open car feeling that the transparent roof provides. I purchased the cheapo roof shade from Wally World ($6.99) as an interim step before the custom shade became available. I works so well I have not bothered to purchase the custom shade from DSV. However, my car does not sit outside for hours on end so the cheapo shade (w/ the a/c) continues to work for me

I used the aftermarket DSV roof shade on my C6 transparent top for many summers in FL & TX heat with excellent results and would highly recommend this product as it essentially makes the trans roof = to the painted top wrt heat transmission...for many of us the transparent roof is the ONLY option!
Good info--thanks!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Hot.....get a internal shade for it.....sold by vendors here...
Yep. Best of both worlds.

The tinted transparent top looks better IMO. During cooler days (or months) you can remove the shade and enjoy the extra sunlight and great views. The transparent top REALLY opens up the cockpit. When the hot summer days roll around, you can simply keep the shade in place to cool down the car. When it comes time to order my C7.. I already know I'll be checking the box for the transparent top only.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:43 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I learned that lesson on my C5. I'll never get the transparent roof again as long as I live in a hot climate.

Or get an insert as other posters have mentioned.
and a good windshield sunscreen. I have the thick/insulated/uv reflective for both my C5 and C7. They work well.

After the 1st couple summers w/ my C5 and the melted brain that followed I bought one of those 'static cling' perforated plastic things for the underside of the clear roof - supposed to help cut down interior heat while leaving some visibility..visibility yes, heat reduction - Not really.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:06 AM
ViperC4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my c4 i have the transparent top...it cooks me...i bought a cover.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 AM
ddman718
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very hot!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:14 AM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Just take the top to your local tint shop and have them use the ceramic window tint. It will amaze you how well it's works to keep out the heat and you can still see throughout it.

Quick Reply: How's Interior Heat with Transparent Roof?