Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Along4theRide
CF Old Timer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Default Need your input: Coupe vs Convertible

Ok, it's time to place the order for the 2015, but just when I think I knew exactly what I wanted, Z-51 LT3 coupe (my previous new Vette was '01 C5 Z51 convertible) the wife and I stopped at the dealer today and she hopped into a new Convertible. Wow, she gave me the look like we should be going with the vert. Now I'm totally torn. I want her happy, but it's going to be my car. I believe that the coupe better suits me and I will get more enjoyment from the car.

I'm interested if any previous convertible owners went with the coupe, any regrets? And perhaps vice-versa, any previous coupe owners go topless?

I have been fortunate enough to drive a good friends 2014 non-Z51, LT3, coupe, and I was sold on it and soon as I took it on the highway. But the convertible was beautiful. Decisions ... decisions...

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:55 AM
Greenkirby21
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i prefer the coupe because you can make it a targa when needed : ). Its not the same as full convertible, but its good enough for me! Also, I'm not a fan of how the C7 convertible looks with the top on, and in general I'm not a fan of convertibles because the roof material looks bad over time and can tear

My opinion of course,
Old 07-06-2014, 01:06 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Of the 4 vettes we have owned in the last 10 years, 3 have been verts. Currently we have a '13 427 Convertible and a C7 convertible. There are only two drawbacks, as I see it.

First, if you ever want to run your car at the track, a vert will probably need a roll-cage installed, for anything but parade laps or test-n-tune nights at the drag strip.

Second, the coupes will carry about twice the luggage on a road trip. My wife won't go for more than a weekend in one of the verts, as there just isn't room for all the "necessities." We could do a week long trip in my C5 coupe.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I have a problem with the convertible's A-frame (windshield) collapsing, in case of a rollover. Other than that, I could warm-up to the Corvette convertible.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:15 AM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

I have always been a fan of convertible Corvettes over the C5 and C6 coupes. This time I think the C7 stands out the most as a coupe.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:22 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

The wife and I cruised the Mississippi River roads on the 4th. Lost count of all the verts. Saw 2 coupes + mine equals 3.
I've missed a vert for 30 years. 23 yrs with my T tops has not erased the vert experience. We rented a C7 vert for a day and the answer was clear..... We take delivery in a week!
Old 07-06-2014, 01:23 AM
andoneward
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Once it is in your driveway then it won't matter because it will be beautiful and make you smile everyday. I drive with the targa top off all the time and the ladies like it too with raising their hands in the air along with wind blown hair. Plus, the coupe is cheaper! Win-win!
Old 07-06-2014, 03:16 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Coupe
Old 07-06-2014, 04:57 AM
MeanDean43
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Skid Row Joe, OK Joe, how are you figuring that the windshield A piller is any stronger on the coupe than it is on the convertible? I will grant you that I would probably be stronger if the car was actually a hard top, (and it had a solid welded frame under the roof), but with the removable roof I think you are 100% wrong with your answer!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:23 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Along4theRide
... my previous new Vette was '01 C5 Z51 convertible ... it's going to be my car. I believe that the coupe better suits me and I will get more enjoyment from the car. ...

I have been fortunate enough to drive a good friends 2014 non-Z51, LT3, coupe, and I was sold on it and soon as I took it on the highway. But the convertible was beautiful.
First, full disclosure: I'm a total vert lover. My C6 is a vert and my C7 on order is a vert. That said, my advice for you is: Get the coupe. Why? You've driven em both. You've owned a vert. You know everything there is to know. And you've chosen a coupe. So that's the answer. You were a vert guy at one time. You're a coupe guy now. Maybe you'll be a vert guy again someday. But you're not now.

The vert-coupe argument shall be eternal. There is no right or wrong answer. Ya gotta go with your gut.

One last thought. My opinion only. Top down, the vert has the lines of a bullet.

Enjoy your new Vette, whichever body style you get.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:49 AM
ESPO C7
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Along4theRide
Ok, it's time to place the order for the 2015, but just when I think I knew exactly what I wanted, Z-51 LT3 coupe (my previous new Vette was '01 C5 Z51 convertible) the wife and I stopped at the dealer today and she hopped into a new Convertible. Wow, she gave me the look like we should be going with the vert. Now I'm totally torn. I want her happy, but it's going to be my car. I believe that the coupe better suits me and I will get more enjoyment from the car.

I'm interested if any previous convertible owners went with the coupe, any regrets? And perhaps vice-versa, any previous coupe owners go topless?

I have been fortunate enough to drive a good friends 2014 non-Z51, LT3, coupe, and I was sold on it and soon as I took it on the highway. But the convertible was beautiful. Decisions ... decisions...

Thanks for the input.
I have owned both in the past. Never thought I would buy another coupe after owning convertibles. But this c7 just looks better as a coupe. The roof lines are wonderful. I get a lot more attention with the coupe. Downside is that I seldom take roof off. Not as easy as pushing a button. Plus the coupe with top off is not the same feeling as a convertible. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:27 AM
thealien
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

convertible
Old 07-06-2014, 06:31 AM
visegrip
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like the convertible but to me the coupe looks loads better and as someone pointed out the removeable roof panels are pretty nice.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:48 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 470 Likes on 252 Posts

There is no right or wrong answer, just opinions, but you can't go wrong either way.

I started out on a mission to find a Base Coupe for $55K, but when I saw the Base Convertible for $60K I had to have it.

Unless it is over 90+ degrees with burning sun overhead or under 50 degrees I put that top down.

If I get uncomfortable as long as I am doing under 30 I put the top back up in 20 seconds with the push of a button.
If it starts to rain, same thing.

With a coupe I know I would never have the top off.

Plus my wife likes the Waterfall in between the seats.

Drawback of the convertible, not much luggage room, two soft carry-ons and a laptop case or two.

If you have a bad back (like I do), getting in and out with the top down is 10x easier.

I personally am not a fan of the Coupes rear window, the convertible takes care of that.

Last edited by yell03; 07-06-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 AM
thebiglittledog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ESPO C7
I have owned both in the past. Never thought I would buy another coupe after owning convertibles. But this c7 just looks better as a coupe. The roof lines are wonderful. I get a lot more attention with the coupe. Downside is that I seldom take roof off. Not as easy as pushing a button. Plus the coupe with top off is not the same feeling as a convertible. Just my 2 cents worth.
Help me understand? you said you have a C7 coupe and you get more looks that a vert? do you own a vert also? Or you just speckulating that you get more looks
Old 07-06-2014, 08:06 AM
thebiglittledog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

my C6 13 GS was a coupe, I live in Dallas and have good weather 9 mounts out of the year a had my targa top off most of the time also had both top and mostly used the clear when i used one, so i went with the laguna Blue kalahari LT3 Z51 vert, picked it up June 19th and have had the top down every day, normally up when going to dinner with my wife. Love this car get up every morning trying to fine a reason to go take a drive ,
Old 07-06-2014, 08:24 AM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

I had a coupe on order last year. Dealer received a conv in a dealer trade that we went in to see. Really didn't think we could take a trip in a conv; but decided that the conv was a bird in the hand so we bought it. A bit more cost, but you only live once so they say. Couldn't be happier with it. Wife just loves to put top down and go for a drive. Have taken 2 week long trips with it. She has one carry-on suitcase to pack her items in. I have 2 soft sided cases for me. If you leave the top up, you have room for 4 items; but we plan to put top down at times so pack accordingly. Power top is the deal; just push a button for up or down. Here is TX with hot weather, rides with top up are quiet and cool.

Photo 048

Photo 050

Get notified of new replies

To Need your input: Coupe vs Convertible

Old 07-06-2014, 08:30 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Since it's going to be your car, I'd get the coupe. She'll b happy to ride in it with the pop-top off. C7 coupe lines are too nice to lose with a convertible IMO.

I have a whole list of reasons to not own a convertible where I live in South Florida. These are however personal and open to debate so no sense in listing them.

I'm ordering a 2015 and each time I ask my wife, what she thinks about this color or that, or should I get this feature or not, she tells me to get what I want, "it's going to be your car". I think I certainly married "UP".
Old 07-06-2014, 08:33 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Love the couple, looks better to me..
Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I had a 2006 and 2008 coupe, then went to a 2010 GS vert, my soon to be delivered [built on 07.01] is a vert, and IMO, the C7 vert design is simply stunning. For my wife and I, once you have driven a vert with the top down the Targa type coupe is not even close to the open air experience you get with a vert.

Quick Reply: Need your input: Coupe vs Convertible