Default C7 and M4

Interesting comparison:

http://jalopnik.com/can-the-2015-bmw...ray-1601079350

By the way, no "race" is involved.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:54 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Such a shame. That had the makings of really good video but they blew it. No head to head. No numbers. No real gut feelings. No "race". They need to do it over again with a dry track and different "journalists".

Cheers.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:19 PM
djseto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having owned the E92 M3 right before getting my C7, I don't think these comparisons are really fair as these are two different personality cars, especially with different trims.

The M Cars have always been refined inside, out and on the track. The C7 is a bit more raw...a bit more in your face. One isn't better than the other...they are just different experiences.

I have 2LT and my biggest regret is not waiting patiently and getting a Z51 with MRC. I think if you're going to compare an M3/M4 to a C7, it needs to be a a Z51 w/ MRC. I didn't know what I was missing until I got on the track for the 3 day school at Spring Mountain in their Z51s. Now, I find my C7 has more body roll than I think a sport car should and it feels less composed when driven hard.

My old M3 had the adjustable suspension and it was a dream. On the same exit ramps around my neck of the woods, I feel less confident in the C7 than I did the M3. The M3 just went through on rails. The C7 feels like it gets to the limit quick, but when you get there, the line between wanting to go faster or hit the brake is much narrower. Of course, you should always drive safely on public roads. I've done the BMW M School as well so I know what the M cars are like at speed in a closed environment.

That being said, for a weekend toy without track time, the C7 is pretty darn good. The exhaust sounds AMAZING and I love being able to take off the roof on a nice day. Having not yet seen a new M3/M4 in person, I'm fairly confident the interior refinement will top the C7. That being said, I'm also fairly confident I'd be happy in both cars.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by djseto

I have 2LT and my biggest regret is not waiting patiently and getting a Z51 with MRC. I think if you're going to compare an M3/M4 to a C7, it needs to be a a Z51 w/ MRC. I didn't know what I was missing until I got on the track for the 3 day school at Spring Mountain in their Z51s. Now, I find my C7 has more body roll than I think a sport car should and it feels less composed when driven hard.

Base car? This is easily fixed for about $650
Old 07-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Having owned the E92 M3 right before getting my C7, I don't think these comparisons are really fair as these are two different personality cars, especially with different trims.

The M Cars have always been refined inside, out and on the track. The C7 is a bit more raw...a bit more in your face. One isn't better than the other...they are just different experiences.

My old M3 had the adjustable suspension and it was a dream. On the same exit ramps around my neck of the woods, I feel less confident in the C7 than I did the M3. The M3 just went through on rails. The C7 feels like it gets to the limit quick, but when you get there, the line between wanting to go faster or hit the brake is much narrower. Of course, you should always drive safely on public roads. I've done the BMW M School as well so I know what the M cars are like at speed in a closed environment.

That being said, for a weekend toy without track time, the C7 is pretty darn good. The exhaust sounds AMAZING and I love being able to take off the roof on a nice day. Having not yet seen a new M3/M4 in person, I'm fairly confident the interior refinement will top the C7. That being said, I'm also fairly confident I'd be happy in both cars.
Very well thought out response, thank you for sharing.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:06 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Exactly. On my morning commute I am seeing more and more entry level BMW 2 & 4 door models....but unless I spot aggressive wheels and tires, I don't give them a second look. The "M's" blend in with the commuter cars.

When was the last time you did not give...any Corvette a look!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

People don't understand that the M4/M3 is a grocery getter on steriods where as the Corvette is a sports car.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:13 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I guess another way to put it is the BMW is for enthusiasts in the witness protection program who do not want to be spotted. C7 is like having a naked stripper sit on the hood of a taxi in traffic....everyone is looking!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Great video IMO

I think they nailed it!!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Exactly. On my morning commute I am seeing more and more entry level BMW 2 & 4 door models....but unless I spot aggressive wheels and tires, I don't give them a second look. The "M's" blend in with the commuter cars.

When was the last time you did not give...any Corvette a look!
There are plenty of Corvettes I don't give a first look, forget a second. The "M" blends with commuter cars is funny IMO. I get what you're saying, but think it's an exaggeration. My BMW M-Sport doesn't even blend in with Commuters.

Last edited by Carnut12; 07-07-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:43 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

Sorry BMW . . . you had your chance with a twin turbo motor a few years ago in my 535xi, but you unfortunately didn't include a a reliable high pressure fuel pump capable of keeping the vehicle running ( not only in my car but also thousands of others).

So after losing power on the highway and needing replacement pumps 4 times in 20,000 miles I had to dump that $60,000 POS 5 series for $27,000. Now, after that privilege and luxury associated with "german engineering", I will never take a chance on another turbocharged BMW.

So I'll take an older M3 . . . or the C7 . . . or a C6 . . . or a Camaro. I may be picky, but I'll glady give up a little "refinement" for a fuel pump that lasts more than 5,000 miles.

Buyer beware of BMW twin turbos. But I digress . . . .
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Received 190 Likes on 182 Posts

PREACH! One of the joys of loving cars is that there are s many options out there, there is never one greatest car, every car has its own story and style.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:39 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

My old M3 had the adjustable suspension and it was a dream. On the same exit ramps around my neck of the woods, I feel less confident in the C7 than I did the M3. The M3 just went through on rails.
I'll never forget the first time I drove the e92 M in anger how insane it felt in the corners. I took a 90 degree turn at IIRC 40mph and the car didn't break a sweat. If I try that in my C6 I'd probably be off the road lmao
Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
People don't understand that the M4/M3 is a grocery getter on steriods where as the Corvette is a sports car.
Our local C&C (Minneapolis) is filled with tuner cars (rows and rows of BMW, VW and Audi) with a few exotics thrown in. The American cars are shoved in the back in an out-of-the-way place.

I saw somebody make a comment similar to the one above on the FB page for the MN C&C last year and that person was told to "Suck a ****" by the person who runs it. Crazy... but one of the main reasons I don't go to our C&C. When they get close to capacity (which is way too early - they really need a larger venue), they turn away NSXs, but let in GTIs.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:50 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Found that to be true with the C6 so I bought z51 this time.

Compare the Z51 with the M car!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:36 AM
djseto
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I'll respectfully disagree here. Having driven the M3 (E92) on the track, it's most definitely a sports car. Whether it has two doors or four and what qualifies as a "sports car" is obviously subjective.

In the case of the E92, it shared something like only 30% of parts with its 3 series sibling. It may sit on the same frame as a 335i, which I owned before the M3, but it certainly was nowhere near the same on the road.

Purists would argue that the M brand has lost a bit of its roots over the years especially since there are so many more M models which critics argue dilutes the prestige and uniqueness of the M logo.

Not that long ago, the corvette was a bad *** motor in a car with the fit and finish of a chevy Malibu. Things change, models change, and brands change. We all know Chevy stepped it up this go round and all the reviews I've seen so far on the new M3/M4 have been very positive with some critics saying BMW finally got back to their roots.

Yes, I am a BMW enthusiast...but I'm also one who traded his for a C7. Do I want a new M3? Once I drive one, the answer will probably be yes, but then again I love all cars because each one brings a different driving experience. All that really matters is if it puts a smile on my face. A lot of cars can do that regardless of the number of doors, the size of the engine, the brand, or how much it cost. The hard part is picking one or two to own. Trying to pick one to own forever is damn near impossible for me.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 AM
djseto
Instructor

Originally Posted by Modshack
Base car? This is easily fixed for about $650
Explain please. Are you talking about sway bars?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 and M4

Old 07-08-2014, 01:43 AM
djseto
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
I guess another way to put it is the BMW is for enthusiasts in the witness protection program who do not want to be spotted. C7 is like having a naked stripper sit on the hood of a taxi in traffic....everyone is looking!
Agreed. I get looks all day, every day. But, the C7 is new and still pretty rare...at least here in NC. In a year or two when they are as common as the C6, no one will look anymore. Something new and shiny always loses its shine with time.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Agreed. I get looks all day, every day. But, the C7 is new and still pretty rare...at least here in NC. In a year or two when they are as common as the C6, no one will look anymore. Something new and shiny always loses its shine with time.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

And an M3/M4 will draw attention?

S.

Quick Reply: C7 and M4