Sponsored by:

Torque Tube

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:29 PM
C5-JIM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Torque Tube

My Torque Tube has a noise and have contacted GM.
C5-JIM

Last edited by C5-JIM; 07-06-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:57 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

lemon law for sure....multiple attempts at the same problem with a known result of engine failure with a screwed up Torque tube install....I wouldn't want it anymore.....

so far my C7 has been just peachy. hope it stays that way.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:08 AM
AZstingray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my torque tube replaced at around 5000 miles. Now around 9000 miles and I have not had any problems.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Jim; you got to to - what you gotta do.

I had a vehicle "bought back" once... by Chrysler; it was a tough time period.

good luck.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:50 PM
ShrykeAbysmal
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
lemon law for sure....multiple attempts at the same problem with a known result of engine failure with a screwed up Torque tube install....I wouldn't want it anymore.....

so far my C7 has been just peachy. hope it stays that way.
Yeah. Unless you're on an extended warranty like me and my 2014 Stingray convertible that I bought with 11033 miles in August of 2018. Car was fine up until about October of 2019 when it started making a rattling noise that sounded like it was equal parts under the shifter and behind the dash when cold, under 3000 rpm, or both. Got more prominent, and occurred regardless of automatic or manual mode and whether AFM was running or not. Car has 20k miles on it now.

Took it in mid December. They told me after a week that the propeller shaft bearing was out and the torque tube was pushed back half an inch. Adjuster came, $5300 replacement of the torque tube with flex plate and bearings, of which I paid $400. Then I get another call saying the transmission was damaged as a result of this problem as well. Adjuster back out, $7000 additional in parts and labor. Now it's the week of New Years.

I take the car home for the weekend and return it Monday morning, then the transmission goes in, which of course requires the torque tube to be removed and reinstalled. I get the car back a week later, and it's making the same exact noise, plus now the center console lid is missing bolts and the shifter feels like it's stripped. Doesn't lock into gears solidly, floats between gears giving me false reverse, doesn't require the button to engage. So I take it back.

Tech rides with me and I show him everything. It's Jan 22nd. Midway between then and now, it becomes far more difficult to get my service advisor to return phone calls. When I finally do, on February 1st, he tells me they hope to have it diagnosed in "the next few days". Also the original tech who was installing the tranny left because his wife delivered so some other guy finished and evidently "left a few bolts out of the shifter assembly". Is this a dude I should count on to align things?

​​​​​​Today is Valentines Day. Just got back from the dealer. Engine is partially torn down. Noise is "definitely in the engine internals" and we're waiting for the adjuster yet again to authorize a complete teardown. This, according to the service manager will likely require a new engine.

This means that, even at conservative estimates, it will end up having cost $3000 in repairs per mile I personally drove this car or $2000/mile over its entire road time. I had a lemon law attorney tell me yesterday he can't make a case if it's not on the factory warranty. What the hell's the point of that then if you don't have problems immediately? This car hasn't been over 90mph and has only had oil changes done so far. No time to put an exhaust on or anything else before this.

I'll be contacting GM and the dealer who sold me this lemon (it was a Dodge dealer just East of Sacramento) and will be expecting a buyback, my invested money, a trade for a 2LT C8 (my C7 is a 3LT convertible) or I'll sue them and get the money. If all else fails I'll run the car off pacific coast highway into the ocean. I've got gap coverage . At this point who's gonna tell me with everything that didn't work on this car that the brakes can't fail?
Old 02-25-2020, 09:43 PM
Footsam
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2017 Stingray torque tube issue seems to be resolved. My last time in the shop was around 7500 miles where the dealer put in a new DSA ( #2) with a Z06 Pressure plate on the back of the motor. I added in the Range AFM disabler and at 22,000 miles am happy to report to further issues. I also settled with GM through a local attorney and believe the that GM treated me fairly when reaching a resolution. The first 7500 miles of ownership were painful and sometimes depressing, but I am all smiles nowadays.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:53 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Shryke.... you are going to be told to pound sand by gm.

You bought it used.
From a dodge dealer
You're beyond 2/24 lemon law
They are only required to repair it now.

I do wish you luck. I really do. That's a shitty job by dealer who repaired or rather tore your car apart for the wrong reason. Or failed to properly identify ALL that was wrong while in there.

But who are you gonna sue? For what?
The following users liked this post:
Steve_R (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 10:24 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ShrykeAbysmal
I'll be contacting GM and the dealer who sold me this lemon (it was a Dodge dealer just East of Sacramento) and will be expecting a buyback, my invested money, a trade for a 2LT C8 (my C7 is a 3LT convertible) or I'll sue them and get the money. If all else fails I'll run the car off pacific coast highway into the ocean. I've got gap coverage . At this point who's gonna tell me with everything that didn't work on this car that the brakes can't fail?
First, you revived a 6 year old thread to post that?

Good luck with demanding a buyback on a used car. Lemon law doesn’t apply, which an attorney already told you. A lawsuit will just drain your wallet because you’ll lose. Posting a threat on social media to commit insurance fraud isn’t a wise move either.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:18 AM
toddsr
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the input. Shryke Abysmal hate you are having that kind of trouble. Hope you get it all straightened out. I will be heading to discount tire to have the tires balanced soon.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:23 AM
jaywoo
Racer

Received 260 Likes on 103 Posts

Well dammit. Now I’m curious if Shryke is either in the midst of wasting money on a frivolous lawsuit or if he drowned in the ocean off the pacific coast highway?
Old 03-15-2020, 08:44 PM
toddsr
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't had time to take the corvette and have the tires balanced yet because I have had some projects that I have been trying to finish at the house. But from all of the input that I am getting from everyone it sounds like it's something to do with the tires. I will let everyone know what I find out when I go and have the tires checked. Thanks again for all of the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Tube

Quick Reply: Torque Tube