Sponsored by:

GM is killing the Corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:50 PM
OESmissy
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM is killing the Corvette!

GM poor marketing / management is killing the Corvette! Here’s why – kinda of long.

Yes – That’s what I said, but read the whole thread before crying. You may disagree or not and that’s OK either way.

First off, I was never a Corvette fan, I always that they were for straight line driving, which is boring. I did like the 59 though, but would never buy one. That is until I only had 50K to spend on my divorce recovery and I looked at all the cars out there at the time and the 2003 C5 coupe caught my eye.

I loved that car and had more fun in it than any other car I had up to that point; including a 308 Ferrari, 70 Z28, lots of 56 – 56 Chevy’s, nothing super car at all, just fun cars. Then the C6 Z06 came out, OK except for all the issues the first year it has been a great seller for GM. Most of the issues were fixed over time or the owner improved the car with after- market products. Thank all you guys for the new ideas and concepts that do improve stock products and also allow us to personalize our cars.

Anyway, at about mid-life of the C6 GM has over marketed the Corvette with too many parts and cars that aren’t selling, ie… the ZR-1. Great car and concept for the time period, it was and still is a monster and falls into the Super Car Category. To improve their position $$$ - GM came out with newer options for the other versions, ie… the Vanilla Corvette and Z06. At which time GM introduces a new version, the Grand Sport made up of the Vanilla car with extra Z06 parts bolted on. It sold very well. GM also gave the Z06 extra ZR1 parts as new options, but a little too late and sales slowed on the Z06 and almost disappeared on the ZR1. Everyone was waiting for the C7.
GM now has a great opportunity when they introduced the C7, which is a beautiful car and carries a great new look. What doesn’t make any sense is dropping the Z06, yes they did. The C7 Z06 is an improved version of the ZR1, nothing more.

The 2015 Z06 is a completely redesigned car with all kinds of new things and improvements. The engine is an improved version of what the ZR-1 had in it with a new blower on it. Something the Z06 hasn’t had on it before. The new transmission in the 2014 is already being replaced with a new 8 speed auto in the 2015. There are a few other nice improvements, but nothing really new to the industry.

GM’s navigation system is still 10 years behind the rest of the industry and when a $20,000 VW, Toyota, Nissan or whatever has a better system it’s pretty sad. All we are talking about are computer soft-ware improvements and they can’t seem to get it. GM finally has improved the interior of the Corvette, after 10 years of the auto industry beating them over the head with magazine articles about how they could improve the car. GM is deft to the industry and what people really want.

Now the dead fish is back – the 2014 Corvette Stingray as the Vanilla car and the 2015 Z06 as what appears to be the top of the line, but basically an improved ZR1, which appears to be the real dead fish! OK whatever; those are the cars that make up the new line of Corvettes, so far.

The C7 Z06 itself, well we really don’t know yet. The price being the biggest issue, what is it? Lots of comments on the forum about that and we’ll know pretty soon. It’ll be the maker or the breaker for the C7 Z06. Now just think about it, it is a ZR1, which sold for around $110 to 130 out the door depending on when and where you bought it. You would think that the C7 Z06 has to be around that same price range, it has almost all the same parts, or the olds parts have been replaced with newer technology which cost $$$. Who do you think is going to cover that expense? DUH!

Let’s just say the C7 Z06 will cost in the 100’s and they will sell a few, but not what GM is expecting. So we can expect the Grand Sport to come back about 2017 because of all the extra Z06 parts they produced. At this point I can only hope that GM does bring back the Grand Sport with the LS7 in it. The BEST motor GM makes. GM has really killed the Z06 not the ZR1. Most people can’t or don’t understand how much power that 650 + hp puts to the road, it’s insane! One reason the ZR1 didn’t sell as well as expected. You better plan to if you haven’t, go to a driving school and learn. Just like when the C6 Z06 came out, a lot of people bought them only to sell them after filling their pants with a brown load! It’ll happen with the C7 Z06 as well.

Marketing is a funny thing; you are either right on or right off, nothing in the middle. It’s like preventive maintenance or circuses management. Time will tell. Not too many more years and the baby boomers, won’t be buying Corvettes, most are in there sixties and seventies now as a group probably own more Corvettes then anyone. These people won’t be buying in the future, for no, other reason than they can’t get in or out of them! Hopefully, but not sure the next generation will carry the torch.

The other issue, GM and most of its dealers don’t have is CUSTOMER SUPPORT, their lost! How many Corvette owners are afraid every time you take their car to a dealer? It shouldn’t be that way, THEY JUST DON’T CARE. Just ask the few owners of C7’s that have blown motors with little to no mileage on the car and that’s the Vanilla car. Just wait to see what problems the C7 Z06 has and it’s not that they might have issues; it’s when and how GM does, or doesn’t deal with them!

Though it will probably never happen, it would be nice to see the Corvette Division break away from GM completely. I know it would cost a fortune opening special shops etc…how great would it be? The Viper has survived without Chrysler, why couldn’t the Corvette? GM is Corvette’s down fail.

Currently I own a 08 Z06 and have had more fun with this car then any I’ve owned, I LUV it! I still enjoy doing my own maintenance and the car has only been to the dealer 2 or 3 times for minor warranty work on the driver’s door latch. They couldn’t figure it out so they replaced the Nav System, interior ECU, 2 key fobs and the door latch, which was the problem. It’s just been a great car to own.

So, I’m thinking there will be no way that I will buy a new C7 Z06. I might do a Grand Sport in 2017 when they come out with wider fenders, no skinny tires for gas mileage, improve the motor, Nav and whatever creeps up between now and then. Or I’ll just keep my current Z06.

When I say that GM is killing the Corvette it’s based on my personally history with the car and what I’ve learned since owning one, that’s all! It seems that GM is destroying the linage of the car just by changing stinkin-badges. Yes, it does need to grow, but in what direction?

OK – now don’t rant and rave, it’s only my opinion based on what I’ve seen and read and I’m sure there are some that understand what I’ve said and others that disagree and that’s OK. I do think that 99% of us agree that the Corvette is the best Sports Car for the $$$ hands down! Enjoy them, which includes driving fast, but do it safely

Last edited by OESmissy; 07-02-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:55 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

I think you missed a few doses of your medications...
Old 07-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by OESmissy

First off, I was never a Corvette fan, I always that they were for straight line driving, which is boring.

You lost all credibility with this line.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:57 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I am definitely going to disagree with you. I'm 44 and have had 8 Corvettes since age 36. I currently own 4 and am about to buy a 5th (1999 Vert). The new Stingray marketing is what got me hooked into wanting one and I bought one off the cuff in October after seeing them first at the NCM in April of 2013. Customer service has been fantastic with the issues I've had. Couldn't be happier with my servicing dealership. That's my experience. Sorry it's not that way for you. But as a younger Corvette owner, GM has taken the Corvette experience to new heights with the 2014 Stingray.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:02 PM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rudolph schenker
Old 07-02-2014, 05:06 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

This should be good.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:06 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I want my click and time back.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:08 PM
TScottTX
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

That about sums it up.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

I quit reading after your comment about Corvette was always just for straight line driving. Really?
Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 07-02-2014, 05:10 PM
redstar299
Racer

Default Too much time

You got way too much time on your hands if this is what you are thinking about all day
Old 07-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Oh joy, another C6 owner telling us why the C7 is no good and he won't buy one.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:14 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys... don't pay attention to all the road racing heritage and LeMans victories. The Corvette is for straight line only!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:15 PM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arcticblast
This should be good.
12 replies in like 3min
Old 07-02-2014, 05:15 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 07-02-2014, 05:19 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Old 07-02-2014, 05:22 PM
LukeAnakin
Advanced

Understood that this is your personal history and experience.
Yet, you don't own a C7.

Must GM develop new technologies and 're-invent the wheel'
with each new Corvette Model?
How much would they cost us then?

All of my local Dealerships are completely sold-out of their C7's and all of the future Z06's have been spoken for. I can't even buy in.

Your C6 Z06 is a fantastic car and it is cool you love it.
Even though the new C7 might not be a Ferrari or an F1 race-car, it is still an Upgrade from the C6 and worthy of my Dollars...

LA

Get notified of new replies

To GM is killing the Corvette!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I stopped reading when you said the LS7 is the best motor GM has ever built. I bet there are quite a few disappointed C6Z owners who would disagree with you.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Oh joy, another C6 owner telling us why the C7 is no good and he won't buy one.
A post of yours I can finally agree with.

OP, the only parts of your post that I agree with is that the 59 is beautiful and that the Corvette is the best sports car for the money. The rest is poppycock. You started your post with the claim that GM marketing and management is killing the Corvette yet you didn't offer one coherent argument to substantiate that claim. You stated that your personal history of owning Corvettes, and what you learned from owning them, is the reason that you feel this way; what does that even mean? Yes, they changed the badges, along with every single component of the C7 except for two parts.

I'd like to actually see you make an argument for how their marketing and management is killing the corvette, as you initially stated, rather than filling two pages worth of ramblings and opinions. Can you back that up with anything factual? My opinion is that you're a little wacky, can I back that up with anything factual? Yes, see post #1 of this thread.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:32 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Well, I guess all those car magazine experts were dead wrong.....

OP, perhaps you should drive a C7 to see what all the excitement is about.

Quick Reply: GM is killing the Corvette!