Sponsored by:

Help-wrong jacking point

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 PM
stanchet
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help-wrong jacking point

Jacked up c7 to put on GM mud flaps. I jacked rear with 4 wheel big plate floor jack J standed it. Showed my son big cross member in front, but he went in between both aluminum cross members on the black channel. Now it bent touching bottom of engine. Can I use a crow bar against big cradle to bend it back, should i leave it, what is it for? Or Em I up a sh@ts creek with out a paddle. Hey guys give me your best educated shot! Thanks I added an attachment, I hope if not I will post again it about one man's opinion about oil.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:59 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stanchet
Jacked up c7 to put on GM mud flaps. I jacked rear with 4 wheel big plate floor jack J standed it. Showed my son big cross member in front, but he went in between both aluminum cross members on the black channel. Now it bent touching bottom of engine. Can I use a crow bar against big cradle to bend it back, should i leave it, what is it for? Or Em I up a sh@ts creek with out a paddle. Hey guys give me your best educated shot! Thanks I added an attachment, I hope if not I will post again it about one man's opinion about oil.
my understanding is that there are 4 points that you should use to raise the car, and they should all have jack pucks installed, to prevent slippage. since you chose not to do this, personally, id call the dealer and have him flat bed it to his shop, before i did any more damage .but, thats just me, and you may have more extensive knowledge (although it doesnt seem so). as they say--"you gots to know when to hold em, know when to fold em". doofy
Old 07-02-2014, 12:02 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I think we need a picture. I found these two, but I don't see a black channel that could be bent to touch the engine.

In the absence of more info, I'd agree that it needs to be taken to the dealer on a roll-back to prevent further damage.

Last edited by WelderGuy; 07-02-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:42 AM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Concur

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
I think we need a picture. I found these two, but I don't see a black channel that could be bent to touch the engine.

In the absence of more info, I'd agree that it needs to be taken to the dealer on a roll-back to prevent further damage.
If its where that yellow arrow is pointing I wouldn't chance it. Have it flat bedded to the dealer. I didn't have to jack mine up to put all the flaps on. Took 20 minutes tops to do. dpb
Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

The yellow arrow was on the picture I found, but has nothing to do with this discussion. I should have said that in my first post.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:09 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Mud flaps take 20 minutes, no jacking. I agree with others, flat bed to a dealer.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 954 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

Mud flaps need no jacking at all.....overthinking it....
Old 07-02-2014, 07:41 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Was also wondering what the black channel was that you refered to as there is none! If the pics put up with the yellow arrow are what you are referring to, that is the composite spring! It’s not a channel. Don’t know what happens when you jack up in the center of the spring! If it is truly "bent," you broke the spring! It needs to be replaced! Dealer job, curious how much it will cost.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:07 AM
killascrimp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man that sucks , drive it slowly and see if you can tell any thing, different, I didn't buy a jack puck so I used a steel 1/4 cup from the kitchen... worked great... also take it to DEALER ASAP ,BUT NOT SURE YOU NEED IT TOWED... GOOD LUCK
Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 AM
stanchet
Cruising

Yea that is it, where the yellow arrow is pointing. I did not want to go in detail but I Klasse sealed the rims and the calipers. I live on a dirt road and power rinse and spotless rinse for $1.25 works as long as you go 70 mph immediately. Spent $1500 having the nose, hood, rockers, back fender and mirrors wrapped in Xpel the guy is a surgeon.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:36 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Was also wondering what the black channel was that you refered to as there is none! If the pics put up with the yellow arrow are what you are referring to, that is the composite spring! It’s not a channel. Don’t know what happens when you jack up in the center of the spring! If it is truly "bent," you broke the spring! It needs to be replaced! Dealer job, curious how much it will cost.
Holy crap!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah OP your son broke the composite spring.... DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR. Flat bed it to the dealer and break out the wallet.

They're not terribly hard to change DIY if you're half competent working on cars.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:12 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by travisnd
They're not terribly hard to change DIY if you're half competent working on cars.
Thinking there's a need to jack up the car in order to do the mudflap thing and then allowing his son to jack up the car using the transverse spring as the jacking point pretty much answers that I'm afraid.....
Old 07-02-2014, 11:18 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Thinking there's a need to jack up the car in order to do the mudflap thing and then allowing his son to jack up the car using the transverse spring as the jacking point pretty much answers that I'm afraid.....
I wasn't going to say it directly... but it's why my first recommendation was to flat bed it and break out the wallet
Old 07-02-2014, 01:47 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Owns a Corvette living on a dirt road, jacks up car to install mud guards, breaks leaf spring by unnecessary jacking up of car. Priceless! SMH
Old 07-02-2014, 02:25 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mud flaps on a corvette, says it all............

Next is the old granpa, curb alert system............. cause I can't drive.

How about a nice Cadillac instead.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 836 Likes on 372 Posts

Boom, Confetti!

Get notified of new replies

To Help-wrong jacking point

Old 07-02-2014, 04:08 PM
stanchet
Cruising

I knew I would be burned, but read my last post it was a tire rim detail, but I keep hearing about my mud flap thing. I will come back with other things the are meaning to this web sight, I promise. I am not on any social media what so ever, no time, never will. I will give all a little kiss to all the high brows, my car was tagged "of special interest" so I have perfect fit and no orange peel. The total frame of the 2014 c7 sits in my building. I have learned alot and I owe knowledge back. Hey give me a man hug, only a Harley gets more tail!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Guys, there is a DIY on proper lifting of the car located here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...fications.html
Old 07-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Also, Jesus Christ... take that picture down with the yellow arrow. You can't put weight on the inverse leafspring as you now know...

I hope nobody else does this in the future, as there is all of the needed information sitting here on the forums...

Quick Reply: Help-wrong jacking point