Help-wrong jacking point

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Must be me, but I don't understand your last post OP. The fact is something is broken, probably the spring. Get it fixed. Probably a bad idea to drive it, therefore, flat bed it to whomever you trust to do the work--- dealer, indie shop, friend's garage, etc. If you feel like it, report back on what happened, how it got fixed and maybe the cost to repair. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. Not quite sure of your last post though.
This site will often give some good insight and advice or share a laugh or two.
And then there's the handful of ***holes that exist to show how much time they have on their hands to belittle others....
Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by stanchet
I knew I would be burned, but read my last post it was a tire rim detail, but I keep hearing about my mud flap thing. I will come back with other things the are meaning to this web sight, I promise. I am not on any social media what so ever, no time, never will. I will give all a little kiss to all the high brows, my car was tagged "of special interest" so I have perfect fit and no orange peel. The total frame of the 2014 c7 sits in my building. I have learned alot and I owe knowledge back. Hey give me a man hug, only a Harley gets more tail!
I learned from helping my Dad by making mistakes! All will be fine with a new spring! Maybe an opportunity to put on coil overs!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by JerryU
I learned from helping my Dad by making mistakes! All will be fine with a new spring! Maybe an opportunity to put on coil overs!
Amen to that. I've made my fair share of mistakes with this car, as well.

In fact, my first mistake was improperly lifting the car, so I can feel your pain. Thankfully, my stupidity (not calling yours that) didn't result in damage.

We have the info available for all of you now, though. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but learn from it and always feel free to ask here before doing. There are a lot of us that will gladly help in any way we can.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:11 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sajonf
Owns a Corvette living on a dirt road, jacks up car to install mud guards, breaks leaf spring by unnecessary jacking up of car. Priceless! SMH

Old 07-02-2014, 05:14 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

He may want to check out putting on some curb feelers
Old 07-02-2014, 05:36 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You guys are pretty ruthless. Very sad actually. With that said unloaded the spring Matt be very close to the oil pan. I've not looked at the c7 clearance but the c5 is right there and to the untrained eye the spring may appear bent as it has a natural bend to it when unloaded. Try to be nice to your fellow car enthusiasts.

Dave
Old 07-02-2014, 05:36 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

You guys are pretty ruthless. Very sad actually. With that said unloaded the spring Matt be very close to the oil pan. I've not looked at the c7 clearance but the c5 is right there and to the untrained eye the spring may appear bent as it has a natural bend to it when unloaded. Try to be nice to your fellow car enthusiasts.

Dave
Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Vert

Dave
That's a good point... the spring is naturally curved and is very close to the pan... very very close.

If the spring is cracked the car will be extremely low when put back on the ground.

OP... have you put the car back on the ground yet? You may not have broken the spring... best take some pictures. The spring has some flex to it and it may have touched the pan when you were jacking and not taken the full weight of the car. Check closely for cracks... if you see any I'd replace the spring. Again... put the car on the ground... you'll know quickly if you actually cracked it.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:49 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

On a side note I'd be shocked if he even put a nick in that spring let alone damaged it in any way. Look for cracks as the post above me said. If you don't see any Im sure you are fine. When you lower it you'll know for sure if you cracked it as the ride height will be much lower. You could put it down and let it settle and Jack it back up to be even more sure. This way you apply force to the spring in the reverse direction than you did jacking and that will definitely bring any cracks to your attention.

Last edited by T_Vert; 07-02-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The good news is that the spring is all of $250 list, $160 dealer cost...

The bad news is the labor and tools involved to change it are extensive.

We also have a How-To posted on that here.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:59 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I agree with T Vert. If the spring is broken or badly damaged, the front end will be much lower than usual.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 PM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you put the car on the ground that spring should go back in place. I really doubt that you broke it just by lifting.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I would replace the spring. The component was stressed abnormally and could fail in the future. At least have your dealer inspect and consult GM engineering as how to proceed.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,207 Likes on 6,015 Posts

You don't need the special GM tool to do the swap. The service manual shows a complex method, but www.ls1howto.com has an easy DIY how-to.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:07 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
You don't need the special GM tool to do the swap. The service manual shows a complex method, but www.ls1howto.com has an easy DIY how-to.
I am sure the OP and his son can handle that
Old 07-03-2014, 02:20 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Theta
Also, Jesus Christ... take that picture down with the yellow arrow. You can't put weight on the inverse leafspring as you now know...

I hope nobody else does this in the future, as there is all of the needed information sitting here on the forums...
this type of language reflects negatively on you (could care less), and also on the forum. maybe you can spend some time in a remedial writing course, and enhance our mutual image. or, respond with some silly inane personal shot.

Get notified of new replies

To Help-wrong jacking point

Old 07-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Bud... I think you should see a few of my other posts.

If you were offended, I'm sorry. Once you read through all of the How-Tos, etc. I'd appreciate an apology on the insult regarding the "remedial writing course".

No personal shots here, friend - in all seriousness, sorry to have offended you.

Mind if I ask what set you off?
Old 07-03-2014, 02:22 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. Not quite sure of your last post though.
This site will often give some good insight and advice or share a laugh or two.
And then there's the handful of ***holes that exist to show how much time they have on their hands to belittle others....
really? guess i havent run into any of them.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:26 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by sajonf
I am sure the OP and his son can handle that
gratuitous sarcasm really doesnt help anybody much, does it?

Quick Reply: Help-wrong jacking point