Michelin Tire Information/PR

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Tire Guy
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Michelin Tire Information/PR

I get a daily recap of tire and tire industry news. This article came up today.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires for the C7 Corvette, Part One
About.com
June 30, 2014
Tires are the keystone for handling and performance, a fact Corvette engineers don't take lightly. Which is why when they were going through the design process for the C7, they didn't just blindly hand a tire contract to Michelin, who had been outfitting new Corvettes for several years. Winning a tire shootout among top brands was the first step for Michelin; the second was to redesign the tire for a better blend of performance and comfort. What kind of handling and performance does the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP give the 2014 Corvette Stingray? Experts take it to the track to find out.
About the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP:
The Pilot Super Sport (PSS) is Michelin's full-pressure ultra-high performance (UHP) summer tire -- its Y speed rating means it's capable of speeds up to 186 miles per hour, far faster than most will be taking their Corvette. Car and Driver gives it first place in their summer performance tire test, saying "It felt firm and planted on the dry autocross and brought the steering wheel to life in our hands." In comparison to UHP tires by Continental, Yokohama, Hankook and Dunlop, editors say the PSS "has the best balance of wet and dry performance we've ever experienced." It was the lightest tire (by several pounds) in Hot Rod magazine's test, where drivers report that it's "awesome at the front turn-in and under straight-line braking and acceleration but not as stable coming out of the apex." After rigorous comparison tests, experts at Consumer Reports also name the PSS as one of the best performers in the summer ultra-high performance class.
The 2014 Corvette Stingray features the Pilot Super Sport ZP, which is the run-flat version of the PSS. These are a "cross between Michelin’s PS2 and PS Cup tires and were engineered for the C7 Corvette using the exact same computer models that Michelin used to create tires for the Corvette C6.R race cars," says Keith Cornett at CorvetteBlogger.com. "The new tires even incorporate many of the same rubber mixes in its construction too."
These belong to the summer-only tire category: their best performance is on dry pavement, with treadwear designs and siping to help shed water for better grip and increased resistance to hydroplaning in the wet. This class of tire offers the "highest level of street performance," says Sean Phillips, the tire expert for About.com. Summer UHP tires "trade off wet grip capabilities and comfortable ride qualities to deliver the maximum dry grip and performance available. While these are not specifically track tires, they are best used in situations where competition-level performance is needed."
The UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade) of 300/AA/A means the PSS ZP has the highest traction measurable for passenger tires and the best temperature rating -- in short, the PSS ZP is very sticky and resists degradation at high speeds. But the softer compound used to achieve maximum grip comes at a price: the 300 treadwear rating is significantly lower than an all-season tire for a much shorter life (a common disadvantage for ultra-high performance tires). At TireRack.com, owners say the Michelin PSS ZP lasts longer than the average UHP tire, with many owners clocking as much as 30,000 miles per set. Michelin also includes a 6-year, 30,000-mile treadwear warranty.

The Tire Guy
Old 07-01-2014, 10:10 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting, but for me the COLD weather "cracking" is a concern. I know owner's are advised not to drive their cars in temps below 20 degree's, but what happens to these tires if new C7's are delivered to dealers in the dead of winter in northern states? Has GM instructed dealers to keep them parked in a temperture control building?

If not are these tires safe once delivered to the owner at a later date?

Or is the cold weather "cracking" a myth?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Tire Guy
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Interesting, but for me the COLD weather "cracking" is a concern. I know owner's are advised not to drive their cars in temps below 20 degree's, but what happens to these tires if new C7's are delivered to dealers in the dead of winter in northern states? Has GM instructed dealers to keep them parked in a temperture control building?

If not are these tires safe once delivered to the owner at a later date?

Or is the cold weather "cracking" a myth?
I spent 13 of my 30 years selling tires in Chicago, all brands, including Michelin and I never saw the type of problem we have seen with the winter cracking. It is very unusual. Luckily they are under warranty. Regardless of weather it should not happen. I doubt GM will send anything about keeping the tires inside.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:06 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I didn't realize that the new tire for the C7 was only Y rated(up to 186 MPH). I thought it was (Y) rated(186+ MPH) like the tires used on the C6.

If indeed they are Y rated, then I believe that federal law requires that the car have a speed limiter that matches the speed rating of the tires.

But, according to both Michelin and TireRack(on their respective websites), they are (Y) rated tires, not Y rated per the article in the original post.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-01-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:07 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Camaro Z28 and cold weather tire issues, not Michelin but a max performance SUMMER tire.

http://www.camaroz28.com/production-...amaro-zl1-1le/

I'm selling my OEM Michelin's when I get my 2014 and replacing them with some All Season tires. My track days are over so a longer lasting less expensive all season tire is more important to me.

Last edited by AFVETTE; 07-01-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Camaro Z28 and cold weather tire issues, not Michelin but a max performance SUMMER tire.

http://www.camaroz28.com/production-...amaro-zl1-1le/

I'm selling my OEM Michelin's when I get my 2014 and replacing them with some All Season tires. My track days are over so a longer lasting less expensive all season tire is more important to me.
I would wager that the A/S tire would fit the requirements for 95% of Corvettes owners.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:36 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I would wager that the A/S tire would fit the requirements for 95% of Corvettes owners.
Yea, how many vette's ever see the track? I admit it my track days are over and I'll all about "cruising" now. Been called a "poser" too.

And if you exceed the capability of any quality All Season High Performance tire on ANY public street/road you are breaking many laws and endangering lives. I believe that's called "street racing".

Not my cup of tea.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think they should have offered a low-cost/no-cost option between the summer-only and all-season tires .. given that a LOT of people live in areas that get temps well below freezing in the winter .. and relatively few people actually need the performance of the summer-only tires ..
Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 PM
KCCO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the information and post, very helpful!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Tire Guy
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by KCCO
Thanks so much for the information and post, very helpful!
You are welcome.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 PM
indy 28
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[I'm selling my OEM Michelin's when I get my 2014 and replacing them with some All Season tires. My track days are over so a longer lasting less expensive all season tire is more important to me.[/QUOTE]

At 3000 miles, I replaced my Super Sport ZP with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my TR Z51 convertible. I'm very happy with the overall improved street performance qualities.

Less unsprung weight, less noise, less road debris damage because they aren't as sticky, drive in any weather, no tire hop, better tread wear. They are not run flats, so have a 12v compressor and plug kit onboard. Keep your old tires if you have track plans.

Last edited by indy 28; 07-02-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:55 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

I'll be getting the ContiComfortKit to get me home should I pick up a nail etc.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:49 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryv
I think they should have offered a low-cost/no-cost option between the summer-only and all-season tires .. given that a LOT of people live in areas that get temps well below freezing in the winter .. and relatively few people actually need the performance of the summer-only tires ..
GM could have made a lot of extra money by making ultra high performance a/s tires standard..... and charging $895 extra for the summer performance tires that are currently on the car....

It would have been a must have option for a lot of this crowd that arent getting the z51 pack.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:13 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We need Michelin to make zero pressure A/S 3 tires in C7 sizes. Most of us live in cold weather climates.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:21 AM
indy 28
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
We need Michelin to make zero pressure A/S 3 tires in C7 sizes. Most of us live in cold weather climates.
In C7 Z51 sizes. I heard they are in the future. We'll see.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 07-03-2014, 11:20 AM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

I'm also waiting for the A/S ZP tires. I had them on my 2006. I don't want to park the car all winter and really don't like the idea of non-runflats and no spare. (yeah - I've only had a very few flats over the years, but...). If you haven't already - go to the Michelin tire web site, contact us, and express your desire for an A/S ZP tire in Z51 sizes. The more requests their marketing guys see, the better chance of a new product.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Tire Information/PR

Old 07-04-2014, 05:27 AM
nopassing
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonC7
I'm also waiting for the A/S ZP tires. I had them on my 2006. I don't want to park the car all winter and really don't like the idea of non-runflats and no spare. (yeah - I've only had a very few flats over the years, but...). If you haven't already - go to the Michelin tire web site, contact us, and express your desire for an A/S ZP tire in Z51 sizes. The more requests their marketing guys see, the better chance of a new product.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Sallye M
22 Hypersonic Grey HTC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Michelin PSS ZP Warranty

Originally Posted by Tire Guy
At TireRack.com, owners say the Michelin PSS ZP lasts longer than the average UHP tire, with many owners clocking as much as 30,000 miles per set. Michelin also includes a 6-year, 30,000-mile treadwear warranty.

The Tire Guy
For C7 owners the OEM Michelin tread wear warranty is half that. Info from Michelin website:

"Some vehicles come from the vehicle manufacturer with“split fitments”— meaning different size tires on the front and rear axles. Because these tires cannot be rotated as recommended by Michelin, the mileage warranty on each rear tire will cover half the number of miles as the standard mileage warranty for that particular tire design."

Last edited by Sallye M; 07-04-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: correct info and source - from Michelin website
Old 07-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

If you read your manual, it does call for side to side rotation. The tires are non-directional. Some dealers are aware of this and some are not (guess they don't read well).
Originally Posted by Sallye M
For C7 owners the Michelin tread wear warranty is half that due to NO ROTATION.

Quick Reply: Michelin Tire Information/PR