Navigation/GPS question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:38 PM
mikefeeser
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Navigation/GPS question

New Stingray GPS/Navigation system:

I ordered a new Stingray from Chriswell Chevy in MD and was told by the salesman that the GPS Nav system is updated with new maps and changes regularly by the OnStar system and this was free - part of the Stingray experience - all automatic, no user involvement.

Since that (after the order was placed) I have been told that they will not honor the Vet discount that they agreed to, and now today I am learning that the GPS / Nav system is not updated by OnStar - as you can imagine, the only reason I ordered the Nav system was because of what the sales person stated - OnStar updates the system and no fee for updates.

Anybody: How is the Nav system updated?

Is there a cost for updates (new maps)?

thanks.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefeeser

I ordered a new Stingray from Chriswell Chevy in MD and was told by the salesman that the GPS Nav system is updated with new maps and changes regularly by the OnStar system and this was free - part of the Stingray experience - all automatic, no user involvement.

Since that (after the order was placed) I have been told that they will not honor the Vet discount that they agreed to, and now today I am learning that the GPS / Nav system is not updated by OnStar - as you can imagine, the only reason I ordered the Nav system was because of what the sales person stated - OnStar updates the system and no fee for updates.

thanks.
As far as I know the nav systems have not been updated and to date no one has told us how they will be updated. I will assume they could be updated via SD card.

As far as cost GM has not stated the price for a ungrade when available, in the past there has been a charge for new DVDs in the old systems, however, I assume these willl be updated via SD, onstar or at the dealers. I do not know the method nor to my knowledge has GM told us.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:58 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by DCBE
I do not know the method nor to my knowledge has GM told us.
I'm always amused how some dealers know what GM is going to do before GM does
Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No over the air upgrades. When a map update becomes available it can be purchased here: http://allthingsnav.navigation.com. It will come in a format you can load, most likely an SD card. Typical price is $199.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Jordan M
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikefeeser

thanks.
Over the Air Updates will be available on the 2015 Nav's. For the 2014 models, I imagine an SD card update would be the method to update as mentioned already.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:23 AM
mikefeeser
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks everyone - I guess I need to have a talk with the dealer - too many white lies I am afraid.

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation/GPS question

Quick Reply: Navigation/GPS question