C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my first wave, then a Cop pulled me over!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Got my first wave, then a Cop pulled me over!

So, after receiving my free gift today from Chevy I decided to take my C7 to work this afternoon after lunch. As I am driving a few blocks from my house an man in a white C3 sticks his hand way out of his window and gives a big ole' wave, my first wave!! I usually don't initiate because here in NJ we have a lot of wackos who may take that as a sign of road rage but I gave a big wave back.

As I continued down the street there are two cops to my left. One gets behind me and sure enough turns his lights on. First thought that ran through my mind is UT OH, he's gonna nail me for the tint. He comes up to the window and says "I hope I'm not bothering you, I just wanted to see your car" He was a super nice guy, very into Chevys and wanted to see the new vette up close. It was a pretty neat experience, I let him in the passenger side so he could check it out. I went on my way down the street into a sporting goods store where another man pulls up behind me to tell me this is the most beautiful vette he's ever seen. I told him my cop story from all of 30 seconds ago, and he said he's a retired cop and he woulda pulled me over too. lol

I truly can't believe how much attention an adoration this car receives. It's a special car!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:22 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

It's cool for LEOs to be car guys and all, but pulling people over to check out a car seems a bit over the top.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 PM
fizzman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by travisnd
It's cool for LEOs to be car guys and all, but pulling people over to check out a car seems a bit over the top.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I read the thread title and figured you were going to tell us about getting pulled over for hogging the left lane and not letting anyone pass.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:32 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Nah, it happened to me once in my previous Corvette (Carlisle Blue C6). Well, the cop initially claimed he had pulled me over because I was doing 45mph in a 40mph zone and there had been a lot of complaints from pedestrians about cars speeding through the center of town. Of course when the cop pulled me over in was 5:00 in the morning and the only two human beings on the street for 10 miles around were he and I. So, after the initial "warning" we sat and talked Corvettes for about ten minutes before we shook hands and I drove off. I wasn't upset at all, wasn't late for work, and could clearly see the patrolman loved the car!!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:34 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is apparently a NJ thing.

I once read an account from a NJ State Trooper about how he spotted Bruce Springsteen driving into the city and pulled him over just to say hi. The trooper described how fine and understanding Bruce was to be pulled over by this trooper / fan who proceeded to chat Bruce up. Like Bruce had a freakin choice!

I guess you should just be happy he didn't want to drive it.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:39 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

It happened to me too.

I wasn't particularly annoyed, but it was 12:30 in the morning and I was headed home trying to get to bed.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward

I once read an account from a NJ State Trooper about how he spotted Bruce Springsteen driving into the city and pulled him over just to say hi. The trooper described how fine and understanding Bruce was to be pulled over by this trooper / fan who proceeded to chat Bruce up. Like Bruce had a freakin choice!

I saw Bruce at a drag race in New Jersey( Englishtown). His body guards were state troopers...

Last edited by Bill17601; 06-30-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Nonstop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
I read the thread title and figured you were going to tell us about getting pulled over for hogging the left lane and not letting anyone pass.
LMAO
It's ilegal, just like running someones name for personal reasons, but easily explained away.

I'm glad you enoyed the attention. It's funny as heck when your not sure why someone is paying attention they start smiling and giving a thumbs up. And there's no telling who.

Last edited by Nonstop; 06-30-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Nonstop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I saw Brice at a drag race in New Jersey( Englishtown). His body guards were state troopers...
You can hire off duty officers for lots of things that pertain to their duties.
The local establishments have them working security all the time.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:47 PM
RCB1234
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfserge
So, after receiving my free gift today from Chevy I decided to take my C7 to work this afternoon after lunch. As I am driving a few blocks from my house an man in a white C3 sticks his hand way out of his window and gives a big ole' wave, my first wave!! I usually don't initiate because here in NJ we have a lot of wackos who may take that as a sign of road rage but I gave a big wave back.

As I continued down the street there are two cops to my left. One gets behind me and sure enough turns his lights on. First thought that ran through my mind is UT OH, he's gonna nail me for the tint. He comes up to the window and says "I hope I'm not bothering you, I just wanted to see your car" He was a super nice guy, very into Chevys and wanted to see the new vette up close. It was a pretty neat experience, I let him in the passenger side so he could check it out. I went on my way down the street into a sporting goods store where another man pulls up behind me to tell me this is the most beautiful vette he's ever seen. I told him my cop story from all of 30 seconds ago, and he said he's a retired cop and he woulda pulled me over too. lol

I truly can't believe how much attention an adoration this car receives. It's a special car!
I have yet to go for a drive and not have someone go out of their way to comment on the car, follow and pass taking photos or video. Twice had someone come over in my lane on a slow curve then I noticed they were driving and trying to shoot photos/video. Pretty cool. Wife gets a big charge see the attention it gets.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:28 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's happened here before as well. For the first 6 months I was very cautious about my actions before and during driving the C7 because I was pretty sure I was going to get pulled over to talk about the car.

I did have a few discussions with highway patrol at different gas stations, though. Never was pulled over. (Knock on wood)
Old 06-30-2014, 05:32 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by dwward

I once read an account from a NJ State Trooper about how he spotted Bruce Springsteen driving into the city IN HIS 2014 C7 CORVETTE STINGRAY and pulled him over just to say hi. The trooper described how fine and understanding Bruce was to be pulled over by this trooper / fan who proceeded to chat Bruce up. Like Bruce had a freakin choice!

Fixed.......
Old 06-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Touché.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Old 06-30-2014, 07:12 PM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I continued down the street there are two cops to my left. One gets behind me and sure enough turns his lights on. First thought that ran through my mind is UT OH, he's gonna nail me for the tint. He comes up to the window and says "I hope I'm not bothering you, I just wanted to see your car" He was a super nice guy, very into Chevys and wanted to see the new vette up close. It was a pretty neat experience, I let him in the passenger side so he could check it out. I went on my way down the street into a sporting goods store w
ere another man pulls up behind me to tell me this is the most beautiful vette he's ever seen. I told him my cop story from all of 30 seconds ago, and he said he's a retired cop and he woulda pulled me over too. lol

I've said it before Ill say it again the New Vette makes you feel like a rock star
Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 PM
gbjerke
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 20 Posts

I think most LEO's are cool guys down deep but they do put up with a lot of crap from those they stop ansd suspect after a few of those type stops they can be pretty pissed off and if you are the next stop, you may have an uphill climb. Ya know, I understand this. Not a fun job.
Funny, as I was just driving in for gas last week. Cruising along in my nearby small city and saw a state trooper behind me in the right lane. A few blocks later he came up along side of me at a red light. He gave his siren a short burst and I looked over. He had his passenger window down so rolled mine down. His comment, "That is one gorgeous Vette."

How cool is that.

Get notified of new replies

To Got my first wave, then a Cop pulled me over!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

"Super nice guy," "I hope I'm not bothering you." WTF!? Really!? How about; probable cause and profiling in pulling you over?

The Cochran Law Firm would have fun with this case of a bogus stop.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
"Super nice guy," "I hope I'm not bothering you." WTF!? Really!? How about; probable cause and profiling in pulling you over?

The Cochran Law Firm would have fun with this case of a bogus stop.
Seriously?? I forgot that we live in a ridiculously litigious world. That thought would never enter my mind.

I woulda given him the keys and let him take it for a spin.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:46 PM
Smirky Maximus
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nonstop
You can hire off duty officers for lots of things that pertain to their duties.
The local establishments have them working security all the time.
NJ state police doesn't allow that. Only local police men in this state can do that.

I'm a trooper in this state and I have to be honest, I've done that exact same thing before. And everytime it has been a great experience. A true car guy will very rarely be upset at someone wanting to ask, admire and compliment their car.

Other than the person being delayed by (literally 5-10 minutes) I don't see what the big deal is.

I am always the one who has to cut the conversation short hahaha

Last edited by Smirky Maximus; 06-30-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Got my first wave, then a Cop pulled me over!