C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I a Corvette jerk stereotype - Flash brights to pass?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:40 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by shannanl
I drive about 5 over on the interstate and I only drop in the left lane to pass. If I am passing someone and someone comes up behind me obviously going way over the speed limit and I am not passing fast enough to their satisfaction then they can go pound sand. Flashing their lights at me usually just causes me to take even more time. That said I also don't pace a car if I am in the left lane. I either pass or get over. I can't stand people who just drive in the left lane with no intention of passing.

I don't flash my lights at anyone when I am passing because I don't think I am all that self important that everyone should move out of the way for me.

In essence you're a closet speed regulator too.. I move over even if I am passing...or I get by the car a little quicker and then let him do....if you're going a hundred I want you in front of me for interference as well...so no I am not creeping up if you're flying.

There is an art to driving interstates..... sadly most people don't know how.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 06-01-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:20 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by shannanl
I drive about 5 over on the interstate and I only drop in the left lane to pass. If I am passing someone and someone comes up behind me obviously going way over the speed limit and I am not passing fast enough to their satisfaction then they can go pound sand. Flashing their lights at me usually just causes me to take even more time. That said I also don't pace a car if I am in the left lane. I either pass or get over. I can't stand people who just drive in the left lane with no intention of passing.

I don't flash my lights at anyone when I am passing because I don't think I am all that self important that everyone should move out of the way for me.
Agree 100% and I expressed the same in Post 318 the other day. The people that don't fully understand what the passing lane is and who like to FORCE others to drive the speed THEY want, need to LEARN WHAT THE PASSING LANE IS FOR.

It's pretty simple. If you are passing another car while in the passing lane you are following the rules to a tee. PERIOD!!

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 06-01-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:17 AM
shannanl
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In essence you're a closet speed regulator too.. I move over even if I am passing...or I get by the car a little quicker and then let him do....if you're going a hundred I want you in front of me for interference as well...so no I am not creeping up if you're flying.

There is an art to driving interstates..... sadly most people don't know how.

Oh I will speed up a little to pass but if some jacka## comes up behind me doing 90 and expects me to speed up to 90 to get around traffic then he is sh## out of luck unless he has his emergency flashers on and then I will do whatever I can to safely get out of his way as quickly as I can.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:40 AM
99ta316
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by quadeddie
This is the exact behavior expected of people driving on the autobahn. I saw firsthand how the left lane is for passing, not for cruising. Everyone keeps to the right and plays leapfrog on the left. Imagine that the left lane was lava and was doing damage to your car and you can imagine how that looked.

I was pretty impressed on how everyone followed that rule over there.
When I grew up in Germany in the 70's, not sure how it is today, but the law was the left lane was passing only. If you were not passing you pulled over. If you did not pull over you got a very large ticket. Tickets at that time in Germany was a huge deal. Everyone was a much better driver and much more polite and cooperative. I wish that was the case here.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:52 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ta316
When I grew up in Germany in the 70's, not sure how it is today, but the law was the left lane was passing only. If you were not passing you pulled over. If you did not pull over you got a very large ticket. Tickets at that time in Germany was a huge deal. Everyone was a much better driver and much more polite and cooperative. I wish that was the case here.
I spent 8 years in Germany and it is by far the easiest country to drive in once you learn the system. I'm hoping it has not changed but in the 90s it was as you described. Your butt will definitely stay out of the left lane if you saw headlights in your mirrors which are actually used a lot over there.

Another great thing about Germany is the strict regulations on trucks, no trucker in the fast lane if there are more than 2 lanes. Limited to around 55-62 mph also which is fast enough for them. I wish they would regulate the trucks here to about 65-70mph at the most or 10mph below car speeds and strictly enforce it. No passing another truck 1mph faster which takes miles to do.

Here is a great video, not mine of the driving in Germany.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:24 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,126 Likes on 6,194 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr

There is an art to driving ..... sadly most people don't know how.
Fixed it for you.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:07 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Fixed it for you.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:28 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 456 Posts

I believe the police say if you flash your lights your considered an aggressive driver.
I'm really bold with the C7.I just drop It down A gear or 2 and stomp on it.Don't know what
You do when your in A so called rolling roadblock.I believe most of the time the driver in the
Left lane is doing it on purpose.Driving is an enjoyment at times.But sometimes it's A pain in the A_ _.

Last edited by thrilled; 06-03-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:00 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Aside from the OPs scenario...When there IS a passing lane, and you are in the passing lane, do you or don't you move over when a driver behind you wants to pass you?
I move over. Though about 50% of the time, people will just sit in that lane and do nothing when I come up behind them so I'll just sit back and wait and pass them in the right lane when the opportunity arises.

The whole left lane for passing is lost on most people these days. 30 years ago it was different. But everyone's so full of road rage and looking to be insulted, they'll use any excuse to do stupid crap on the highways.

I can be doing 85 in a 70 and someone will come up on me in excess of 100MPH and get pissed off because I'm going too slow for them. It's not worth the effort to get into a confrontation at the side of the road with them where I might have to shoot them to keep myself or my family safe. heh.

The only time I make it a priority to pass is if the guy/lady in front is weaving all over the road. Here in SC that means one of three things.... They are intoxicated.... They are on their cell phone.... Or they are falling asleep/not paying attention... And in all cases they are more than likely about to cause one hell of an accident.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 06-03-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:13 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
I move over. Though about 50% of the time, people will just sit in that lane and do nothing when I come up behind them so I'll just sit back and wait and pass them in the right lane when the opportunity arises.

The whole left lane for passing is lost on most people these days. 30 years ago it was different. But everyone's so full of road rage and looking to be insulted, they'll use any excuse to do stupid crap on the highways.

I can be doing 85 in a 70 and someone will come up on me in excess of 100MPH and get pissed off because I'm going too slow for them. It's not worth the effort to get into a confrontation at the side of the road with them where I might have to shoot them to keep myself or my family safe. heh.
Agreed.

If I find myself in the passing lane going 75 in a 65, after just passing someone else, but not passing anymore, and someone comes up behind me doing 100 in the passing lane, I get over. No one has the right to regulate to someone else that they can't drive 100.

However, if I'm still passing other cars in the passing lane, the person going 100 behind me can just get over it, because I'm following the rules of the passing lane, and I'm not speeding up and putting myself at greater risk for as speeding ticket just for THEIR BENEFIT.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 06-03-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:28 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 479 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_
That's all it was, nothing to get worked up over. People behave much differently in a car than they would face to face, sometimes the smart thing to do is to just get away.

PM me how fast you got up to
Let's say I did 55, twice
Old 06-04-2015, 10:21 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

I'm A firm believer that if there is room in the right lane whether your doing 40 MPH or 140 MPH you get back in the right lane after the pass.I also do this on beltway's where there are 3 and 4 lanes.Most people today get in A lane,any lane and stay there til they get off the beltway.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:36 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
Agreed.

If I find myself in the passing lane going 75 in a 65, after just passing someone else, but not passing anymore, and someone comes up behind me doing 100 in the passing lane, I get over. No one has the right to regulate to someone else that they can't drive 100.

However, if I'm still passing other cars in the passing lane, the person going 100 behind me can just get over it, because I'm following the rules of the passing lane, and I'm not speeding up and putting myself at greater risk for as speeding ticket just for THEIR BENEFIT.
Same here. Except when the car to the right of me decides to speed up and match my pace. Then I'll hammer it and move over. I hate it when people pace me to the right or the left.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Same here. Except when the car to the right of me decides to speed up and match my pace. Then I'll hammer it and move over. I hate it when people pace me to the right or the left.
That drives me crazy.Your over taking A car then he decides at the last minute to over take you.Then you have to do 5-10 MPH over what he's doing.
Driving could be so much more fun if people had better personalities.
Yes I'm saying that it seems that the way people drive depends on their
Individual personality.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 PM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

That was supposed to be a reply to a different thread. Mobile version of this site on.my phone is annoying.

Originally Posted by Steve_R
You revived a 2.5 year old thread to post that? ^^^^^^^^^^^.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:54 PM
girardta
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a similar situation years ago. The guy in the fast lane would not move over when I flashed my lights, so I turned them to high-beam and left them on. He still would not move over, so I passed him on the right - he then started to tailgate me with his high-beams on.

I had to get it up to nearly 100 mph to distance myself from him.

Problem was, he was an off-duty deputy sheriff and he called ahead for a local town cop to stop me and give me a stern talking to. Thankfully, no ticket because I was going the speed limit when I got pulled over.

Some people are just jerks - they apparently can't help it.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:56 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Too many pages to read all of it without an hour to kill...but I did read the OP's comment. As soon as I saw NJ, I knew what the read said before reading it.

Having lived there for 10 years I can say unequivocally that NJ drivers are ********.
The worst I have ever shared a road with. I started using a dash-cam because I wanted a visual record of the crap going on around me. I must have recorded at least three times when a driver would exit his car to initiate a fight with another driver.

By contrast, Germany has some of the best drivers I've ever shared a road with. Polite, respectful and capable. ...I miss the autobahn.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I a Corvette jerk stereotype - Flash brights to pass?

Old 01-31-2017, 12:04 AM
girardta
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

This guy needs to lose his license and have his car confiscated.

Even on the Autobahn, driving 186 mph in traffic is not a very good idea.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:56 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by ddman718
Lucky thing you were in a c7 and not a Prius.
A man has to feel he has all the bases covered (the red C6 in the photo below is now a red C7).

Carry on.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:08 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

290 kph on German Autobahn = 180 mph = good oil, changed frequently.

Quick Reply: Am I a Corvette jerk stereotype - Flash brights to pass?