C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As miles accumulate, so do the blemishes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:05 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Touch-up paint

Originally Posted by DriveCorvette
I always keep a bottle of touch up handy. Anytime a see a chip I dab a little on to keep up with them.
Wher's the best source for Touch up paint?? what sixe bottle and what is normal cost...looking for Crystal Red Tintcoat.. thanks
Old 06-29-2014, 08:07 PM
DriveCorvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trumanjd1
Wher's the best source for Touch up paint?? what sixe bottle and what is normal cost...looking for Crystal Red Tintcoat.. thanks
Dealer parts dept. for that color. It will run about $15
Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 PM
post-it
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Just returned from my first road trip, a short one, 60 miles one why. Some where between cleanings, I acquired a light mark on the drivers door. Door ding, maybe? Can't imagine where? A stone might have bounced off the road and caused the mark, really small the size on a speck of dirt. That makes two marks in 700 miles; small stone bruise on the front and now this mark on the door. Purchased this car to drive. Just picked up touch up paint yesterday, not to soon.
I have never had a car like this one! I love the C7, however, every time I take it out, I return with another chip or mar on the paint. My 2012 Benz, I drove to work every day in all kinds of weather for a year and a half with
Ten thousand miles without a mark. Now I am retired and drive the Vette on only the best days and it seems like this car attracts problems.
Any one else feel this way? Maybe I love this car more than any other I have ever owned and I have had some nice cars.
One thing for sure, when it get my Z06, it will be covered with Xpel and it will have Black Calipers, I am tired of cleaning the Red Calipers. Can't keep them clean nor the wheel barrels free from the break dust.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:32 PM
post-it
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Yes, would of hoped it would of taken longer. Well now that the first marks have appeared the remainder will not have the same impact. (On my stress meter that is). I am not saving this car for the next owner like I did with the C6!
Smart move, I am also going to use the car. Let the next guy get what he is paying for, a used car!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:43 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Touch up paint

Originally Posted by DriveCorvette
Dealer parts dept. for that color. It will run about $15
What about a paint pen..and do I need clear coat...have a few tiny rock chips on front end nose?
Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Short story; a few years ago I installed a car accessory that left a few unpainted screws visible. I had a friend help and he decided to paint the screws to match. He painted them all right, used a brush and painted an X over each screw. (He was not being smart, just to him this was excepted practice). I almost flipped, yet didn't want to hurt feelings so I said thanks and went to the bathroom cried, didn't know about a swirly or would have accomplished a few. So now you know, if you acquire a stone chip just use a brush and paint an X over the blemish.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

What about a paint pen..and do I need clear coat...have a few tiny rock chips on front end nose?
No, a small chip will not show as uncleared. Use a tooth pick cut to a fine point and flow the paint into the blemish. Take your time and the chip will be almost invisible.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

The C7 does seem to be more prone to chips especially down the sides.
The film the factory puts in front of the rear wheels is already pecked up at 3300 miles (thank goodness they put protection there).
I am considering side skirts to help keep the sides of the car protected.
All of that being said worrying about it will not keep me from driving the car I enjoy it way too much.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:23 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 620 Likes on 456 Posts

Default Driving the car

Originally Posted by BERETTA
The C7 does seem to be more prone to chips especially down the sides.
The film the factory puts in front of the rear wheels is already pecked up at 3300 miles (thank goodness they put protection there).
I am considering side skirts to help keep the sides of the car protected.
All of that being said worrying about it will not keep me from driving the car I enjoy it way too much.
Many people don't want to put miles on their car.It's hard for me to understand.I pay that kind of money for A car and not drive it.It don't
Make sense to me.Especially since it's the best car that I've ever driven.
I drive it every day even if it's around town.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:32 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clear bra it and don't worry about the chips. Its that simple.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:41 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,764 Likes on 4,188 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Larry, I just completed an 800 mile/6 hours one way trip to Bloomington Gold.

I took my Stingray to the hand car wash tonight-looks fantastic. I have 22PLE coating my car-it takes great care of the finish. I also bought the travel bra from RPI Design/Southern Car Parts. The bra did a fantastic job! The nose of my car was completely clean. All it took to clean the bra was wiping it off.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:06 AM
DriveCorvette
Racer

Thats good too, if you can find one in your color.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Larry, I just completed an 800 mile/6 hours one way trip to Bloomington Gold.

I took my Stingray to the hand car wash tonight-looks fantastic. I have 22PLE coating my car-it takes great care of the finish. I also bought the travel bra from RPI Design/Southern Car Parts. The bra did a fantastic job! The nose of my car was completely clean. All it took to clean the bra was wiping it off.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles.

Not really having troubles, just new car blemishes. The first ones are the worst, then I get over it. I am enjoying this car, my favorite option is the power convertible top. Never have I enjoyed the freedom of open air motoring like this power top provides. Had two targa top cars, this is my fourth convertible, two were manual, the other was power but driver had to get involved (install and remove boot) Now just push the button, love it.

Quick Reply: As miles accumulate, so do the blemishes!