Sponsored by:

Finished the break in....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Kayir
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Finished the break in....

so the weekend I got the car I took it for a road trip to get some miles on it. . .been doing my damn best to keep it under 4K rpm (except for once or twice I accidentally gave it a little too much R foot and got to 5k) and have been taking the long way to work every morning to try and get to 500 before this weekend so I can go for a more serious drive with the boys. . .and so yesterday I finally broke 500 and met my buddy for a little drive. . .and as a first time vette owner I just want to say, HOLY F*ing CRAP!!!!!!! I've driven fast cars before, but when you stomp on that gas there's a slight little pause as the traction control tries to hold on, but once it locks up that thing pulls brutally!!!! and not only does it pull but the power just surges. . .in my Audi, It would throw you back in your seat and then kinda trail off. . .this thing just keeps getting more and more violent as it picks up speed!! and my GOD those sounds!!!! NPP all the way. . .

sorry for the outburst. . .but to all those who already have theirs, now I GET it. . .and to all those who are yet to get theirs, you have no idea what you're in for. This car is SCARY good!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:50 AM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Uh...thanks......you're NOT making my wait any easier ya know!!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 AM
chevyman426
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayir
so the weekend I got the car I took it for a road trip to get some miles on it. . .been doing my damn best to keep it under 4K rpm (except for once or twice I accidentally gave it a little too much R foot and got to 5k) and have been taking the long way to work every morning to try and get to 500 before this weekend so I can go for a more serious drive with the boys. . .and so yesterday I finally broke 500 and met my buddy for a little drive. . .and as a first time vette owner I just want to say, HOLY F*ing CRAP!!!!!!! I've driven fast cars before, but when you stomp on that gas there's a slight little pause as the traction control tries to hold on, but once it locks up that thing pulls brutally!!!! and not only does it pull but the power just surges. . .in my Audi, It would throw you back in your seat and then kinda trail off. . .this thing just keeps getting more and more violent as it picks up speed!! and my GOD those sounds!!!! NPP all the way. . .

sorry for the outburst. . .but to all those who already have theirs, now I GET it. . .and to all those who are yet to get theirs, you have no idea what you're in for. This car is SCARY good!!!

Put that joker in track mode and stomp it is less of a delay. I am also first time vette owner and Holy fu*ing crap is right how I feel when i get down on it.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Hammerman
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RottenII
Uh...thanks......you're NOT making my wait any easier ya know!!
I'm having to wait for the 2015 and the wait is driving me crazy To the OP
Old 06-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

As to the delay.....do you have a manual or automatic?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Kayir
Racer

An auto. . .so yes there's the downshift, but then the traction control definitely kicks in (even going 50-60mph. . .it automatically goes into performance shift mode and starts pulling. . .and pulling. . .and PULLING. . .the power is so amazingly linear. With my tuned supercharged S4 it pulled hard, but there were peaks and valleys. . .with this thing, it slams you in your seat, makes beautiful music and the power just surges, and doesn't let up. . .the shifts are pretty violent too, SNAP and it's pulling again. . .as for the suggestion to try it in track mode, i'll be honest i'm a little scared too. . .something tells me that much torque will EASILY snap the rear loose spinning if you're not careful. . .and while sure i could be careful, I kinda prefer being able to just nail it knowing sure i'll loose a fraction of a second but i'm not going to end up in a ditch by the side of the road with people laughing and taking pictures of the jackass in the vette who couldn't keep it on the black stuff. . .
Old 06-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

BE CAREFUL. There is lots of power, it will get you into trouble quick. Another thing is watch the outside air temperatures, when fall comes and the roads/tires cool traction suffers. Have fun.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:15 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Larry/car
BE CAREFUL. There is lots of power, it will get you into trouble quick. Another thing is watch the outside air temperatures, when fall comes and the roads/tires cool traction suffers. Have fun.
Yup

Traction control and active handling notwithstanding, the car will end-for-end on you if you're not used to driving high powered car and push it too far
Old 06-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Remember this, power management is extremely important. You never ever punch it, as they say. You smoothly apply power, even then monitor road conditions (an expansion joint could cause loss of traction and cause the rear end to squirm). I recommend performance driving schooling.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Kayir
Racer

while i appreciate the words of caution, I'm a little surprised at the tone here guys. . .my point was that this thing is a blast and i'm loving how brutal it pulls. . .I made a specific point to say that i LIKE the nannies so i don't get myself into trouble. . .i'm no stranger to fast cars. . .but this is special!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

while i appreciate the words of caution, I'm a little surprised at the tone here guys. . .my point was that this thing is a blast and i'm loving how brutal it pulls. . .I made a specific point to say that i LIKE the nannies so i don't get myself into trouble. . .i'm no stranger to fast cars. . .but this is special!
Get used to the tone here, bunch of know it all pompous pr!ck$. Just accept it and weed through the crap because there are some truly helpful intelligent people on here.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:03 PM
Kayir
Racer

Certainly don't want to turn this into an another argument thread. It was meant to be a pure unadulterated thread about my initial reaction to finally being able to let this beast loose a little bit!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

my initial reaction to finally being able to let this beast loose a little bit!
You're right, it is scary good when you get on it, so much fun!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've owned vettes for over thirty years and the first time I floored it after break in I thought "Holy fu*ing crap". Not only that, this thing handles like it on magnets. I believe this C7 series overall to be the best they have ever made. Engine, Interior, Electronics, and Handling as a complete package, no mass produced American car touches it.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Enjoyed the impressions from the OP.

Looking forward to being more aggressive with the throttle, I’ll be gentle longer than the 500 mi line and I’m really never hard on cars.

Initial impressions after 390 miles is how excellent the steering is, how nice the ride is (assuming good pavement of course) and the outstanding brakes. I’m very easy on the throttle and am varying the speed frequently but even so, it does pick up speed quickly.

Just have to leave more distance from traffic ahead, should have been doing this before but really don’t want to get hit by rocks thrown by semi treads. Don
Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Kayir
Racer

Thanks w88. And I agree with your observations about the steering etc. all ill say is while the sub 4k rpm power is nice, the full throttle experience is a whole other ball game. Violent. As for the thrown rocks, just today I had my whole front end xpel'd. Now I'm ready!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

While we are talking "breakin", They say to keep it out of 4 cylinder mode for the first 500 miles. I'm I correct in thinking Touring mode locks out 4V?

Get notified of new replies

To Finished the break in....

Old 06-27-2014, 09:36 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks w88. And I agree with your observations about the steering etc. all ill say is while the sub 4k rpm power is nice, the full throttle experience is a whole other ball game. Violent. As for the thrown rocks, just today I had my whole front end xpel'd. Now I'm ready!
XPEL comes when family visits and wife’s knee surgery lets me! Don
Old 06-27-2014, 09:38 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfserge
Get used to the tone here, bunch of know it all pompous pr!ck$.
People suggesting he be careful so the car doesn't bit him in the a$$ warrants that kind of a response?

Don't you think your comment was kind of pompous and pri!ck'ish? Nobody knows his driving skills and what I read for the most part was friendly and sound advice even if the OP was seeking any advice. But hey, if you like stirring the pot and lashing out at forum members for no apparent reason (in this case), more power to you. I guess you will probably lump me into that "pompous pr!ck" category too now.

OP,
Glad your enjoying your car!

Last edited by slief; 06-27-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:55 AM
Kayir
Racer

With an auto. It will go into v4 mode in ALL driving modes, even track. The only way to keep it in v8 is to put it in M and paddle shift.

Quick Reply: Finished the break in....