Sponsored by:

True color of Kalahari Leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Default True color of Kalahari Leather

I have a small window to change my order and need some feedback. I originally spec'd out my LRG coupe with the black interior, then changed it to Kalahari. I can't find any Vette's within easy driving distances to check this out in person.

Here's my question. I keep reading Kalahari has more "orange" in it where some call it "basketball" orange.

This was my wife's 2008 Jaguar that we are trying to replicate

How "orange" is Kalahari? My option is to go back to black but need to do that ASAP.

Any feedback and personal opinions sought and appreciated.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, its nothing like that jag. the grey would be a lot closer.

basketball orange is a decent description of the kalahari in person. its not really quite that orange of course, but it gives you the idea.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:36 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

My opinion: I've seen Kalahari many times and it looks nothing like the tan interior you are showing. It does look very good w. LRG imo. But if you are trying to match tan, it is no match for tan. It is still an excellent color and an excellent choice for LRG. And rather than basketball, I'd call it baseball glove colored, a slightly different and more muted hue. jmo
Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,015 Likes on 365 Posts

Some cameras under artificial lights don't accurately show the true color. If you research pictures on the forum, you will rarely see the same color twice.

Also, not all computer monitors accurately display it either. You really need to see it in natural sun light.

I have 3LT Kalahari and don't see it being orange at all. But it's definitely not the color of your wife's interior.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:41 AM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

I've seen LRG with Brownstone and it was a great combination.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:03 AM
DocGuy
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I have a small window to change my order and need some feedback. I originally spec'd out my LRG coupe with the black interior, then changed it to Kalahari. I can't find any Vette's within easy driving distances to check this out in person.

Here's my question. I keep reading Kalahari has more "orange" in it where some call it "basketball" orange.

This was my wife's 2008 Jaguar that we are trying to replicate

How "orange" is Kalahari? My option is to go back to black but need to do that ASAP.

Any feedback and personal opinions sought and appreciated.

Cheers
AFVETTE,

I am ordering a TR w/Kalahari. I would disagree that it is anywhere close to "basketball orange". I do agree that it is much more tan the picture above. I have seen and sat in Kalahari interiors, and they are a deep tan, maybe a dark Khaki.

Maybe someone will help you with a picture...

Just trying to help, From one old AF guy to another...

Dave
Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see more peanut butter in it than orange when I look at Kalahari
Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Mu$cle
I've seen LRG with Brownstone and it was a great combination.

I hadn't heard the analogy to "basketball" color, but that or the comparison to a baseball glove color both seem how I'd view it too. I like the Brownstone much better.

My least favorite was a NRB with the Kalahari interior and same Vert top color....
Old 06-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I think basketball orange is not the correct color just some jerk who didn't like it named it. In my opinion it is a natural leather look which works with any color Corvette.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:10 AM
DocGuy
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by FEEDMESLURPIES
I see more peanut butter in it than orange when I look at Kalahari
That is a great description, peanut butter color...
Old 06-22-2014, 10:11 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

with all of the above comments...but having said that the LRG is one of the few exterior colors that go well w/ the Kalihari IMO. I would personally favor the brownstone w/ the LRG, but that locks you into the 3LT as I'm sure you are aware. I have the black 2LT interior in my NRB and love it! The black goes w/ any exterior color...that is the SAFE bet!
Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I have kalahari, it is nothing like the color in your jag. Some people have told me it looks like peanut butter, some people have said it looks orange. I think it's in between peanut butter and basketball orange depending on the lighting.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:14 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Brownstone
Old 06-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the LRG with a black interior and with the paint being so dark I wish I would have gotten the Kalahari or Brownstone instead. They had a Kalahari interior for me to see and I think it would go with the LRG quite well. Don't get me wrong here, I really like my car the way it is, but the grass is always greener on the other side. I also have the black wheels and the Carbon Flash mirrors/spoiler so the black interior goes well also. It makes the car look more aggressive.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks guys for the reassurance it's not "orange or orange like" and yes on-line photos can be deceiving.

I'm going to stick with it.

Apprecaite all your opinions and comments. That's the true value of the CF brotherhood.

Now all I need is my TPW.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Klyde
I have the LRG with a black interior and with the paint being so dark I wish I would have gotten the Kalahari or Brownstone instead. They had a Kalahari interior for me to see and I think it would go with the LRG quite well. Don't get me wrong here, I really like my car the way it is, but the grass is always greener on the other side. I also have the black wheels and the Carbon Flash mirrors/spoiler so the black interior goes well also. It makes the car look more aggressive.
LRG is beautiful with any color interior......but with brownstone....omg is all I can come up with. I wish brownstone was available in 2LT on my cyber grey.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 AM
MANECKED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kalahari goes well with LRG IMO, I prefer it to Brownstone and definitely over Black

Get notified of new replies

To True color of Kalahari Leather

Old 06-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Thanks guys for the reassurance it's not "orange or orange like" and yes on-line photos can be deceiving.

I'm going to stick with it.

Apprecaite all your opinions and comments. That's the true value of the CF brotherhood.

Now all I need is my TPW.
I don't know that that is an accurate takeaway from most of the posts above. it is definitely "orange like" in person imo. Its not a bad color and I considered getting it (and almost definitely would with LRG), but it definitely has an orange hue to it.

Last edited by Al Blue4.6l; 06-22-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

As others have said, Kalahari is no where close to the picture you have posted that you want to duplicate. It looks like you would want Gray, but IMHO, Kalahari looks Alot better than Gray. I just saw Kalahari on a NRB vette last weekend at a car show, it looked great. If you are getting 3LT, Brownstone looks like a good option too, plus, it would be a bit on the rare side because it doesn't appear that there are tons of cars out there with that interior. Search the color threads, I believe you will find pics of LRG with Kalahari and Brownstone.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:43 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

Go to your local Chevy dealer. Find an Impala with Mohave interior. That is close to Kalahari.

Quick Reply: True color of Kalahari Leather