Sponsored by:

True color of Kalahari Leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:09 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I have a small window to change my order and need some feedback. I originally spec'd out my LRG coupe with the black interior, then changed it to Kalahari. I can't find any Vette's within easy driving distances to check this out in person.

Here's my question. I keep reading Kalahari has more "orange" in it where some call it "basketball" orange.

This was my wife's 2008 Jaguar that we are trying to replicate

How "orange" is Kalahari? My option is to go back to black but need to do that ASAP.

Any feedback and personal opinions sought and appreciated.

Cheers
Kalahari is like the interiors of 50's & 60's Jags Ferrs,Rolls ,etc !!! Wayne
Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Kalahari in Ballwin, MO

Appreciate the offer but my wife and I just got back from cruising a few local dealers lots looking at other Chevy's with a similar color interior and if it's close to a new Impala I saw I love and more importantly SHE loves the "hue".

Again thanks for all the feedback, advice and photos.

I can't wait to see our car.
Hi, AFVETTE. I've got a NRB Z51 coupe with Kalahari 2LT interior and live over in Ballwin, MO. It looks just like a Rawlings catchers mitt to me, and is very close to the Ferrari tan interior color.

Just hop on the JB Bridge and you can come over any evening you want to take a look see. (636) 394-4250. BTW, you will LOVE this car - best sports car, by far, I've ever driven.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:37 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Hi, AFVETTE. I've got a NRB Z51 coupe with Kalahari 2LT interior and live over in Ballwin, MO. It looks just like a Rawlings catchers mitt to me, and is very close to the Ferrari tan interior color.

Just hop on the JB Bridge and you can come over any evening you want to take a look see. (636) 394-4250. BTW, you will LOVE this car - best sports car, by far, I've ever driven.
Appreciate for the kind offer, but I'm comfortable with my choice. And to be honest I just want the "birthing" over with and want to get down to the business of driving it. It's been about 3 years since I last owned a vette and the wait is killing me.

But we must get together once I get mine some Sat or Sun.

Cheers

Tom
Old 06-25-2014, 03:43 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfserge
LRG is beautiful with any color interior......but with brownstone....omg is all I can come up with. I wish brownstone was available in 2LT on my cyber grey.
I agree. I have brownstone with the suede inserts on my NRB. I simply love it!!!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default A short geography lesson...The Kalahari

Derived from the Tswana word Kgala, meaning "the great thirst", or Khalagari, Kgalagadi or Kalagare, meaning "a waterless place",Kalahari has vast areas covered by red sand without any permanent surface water. The Kalahari Desert is a large semi-arid sandy savannah in southern Africa extending 900,000 square kilometres (350,000 sq mi), covering much of Botswana and parts of Namibia and South Africa. Drainage is by dry valleys, seasonally inundated pans, and the large salt pans of the Makgadikgadi Pan in Botswana and Etosha Pan in Namibia...
Old 06-25-2014, 04:26 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Best I can do for ya

Different lighting, cameras etc but you get the idea. Not even close if thats what you are looking for. I strongly suggest seeing one in person..

Basketball orange, perhaps, but I like the color and I think it looks great with LRG. No regrets and I have actually had compliments on the interior color, dont get that often..
That is a fair representation of the color (Post #22). I've had a lot of Corvettes and a lot of interior colors over the years but my 3LT Kalahari is the one that gets the most complements from friends and strangers. Stick with it, you will love it. (BTW mine is LRG and LRG/Kalahari is the perfect combo. )

Last edited by BigJoe; 06-25-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:18 PM
TKay
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I just ordered a 15. I was going with the Kalahari but, the color sucks. I liked the old beige, but not basket ball orange. I opted for the grey. I think it should look good.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:35 PM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman

I have Crystal red with Kalahari and love it. I've seen in person the bright Red, yellow, green and blue. They all look very nice. You can see all colors on line @ Chev.com
Old 06-25-2014, 05:36 PM
vcop
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Interior

I have a small window to change my order and need some feedback. I originally spec'd out my LRG coupe with the black interior, then changed it to Kalahari. I can't find any Vette's within easy driving distances to check this out in person.

Here's my question. I keep reading Kalahari has more "orange" in it where some call it "basketball" orange.

This was my wife's 2008 Jaguar that we are trying to replicate

How "orange" is Kalahari? My option is to go back to black but need to do that ASAP.

Any feedback and personal opinions sought and appreciated.

Cheers
Have a Z51 3LT LRG Cpe on order with Brownstone Gut TPW 7/14, Originally had it ordered w/khalahari but changed it when I saw one, a little to loud and bright for me. V cop NJ
Old 06-25-2014, 05:51 PM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vcop
Have a Z51 3LT LRG Cpe on order with Brownstone Gut TPW 7/14, Originally had it ordered w/khalahari but changed it when I saw one, a little to loud and bright for me. V cop NJ
The green and the Kalahari is absolutely beautiful, stunning
Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Tracker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v8capt
The green and the Kalahari is absolutely beautiful, stunning

LRG is a beautiful color that goes with the kalahari interior..there were 2 cars at the show I was at last week with that combination and it was beautiful. Good choice.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:09 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by TKay
I just ordered a 15. I was going with the Kalahari but, the color sucks. I liked the old beige, but not basket ball orange. I opted for the grey. I think it should look good.
It may hamper the resale!
Old 06-26-2014, 12:46 AM
fmlaxer80
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are pictures of a 3LT kalahari interior in direct and indirect sunlight. It's a very rich and elegant color and gets a lot of positive attention. I hope that this helps you in your decision making. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2014, 01:23 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

We picked up our black 3LT coupe with the Kalahari interior on 6/13 and spent the next 10 days crossing the country in it. Every time I got in the car I was pleased that we got that combination, and really appreciate how rich the interior appearance is. Just a beautiful treatment.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:05 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Your pictures are making me more anxious than ever to get my new Vette.

Cheers
Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, GM did a pretty good job on all of the colors, though I think I would have gone a little darker with the grey for maintenance reasons but it looks good as is. I think it's interesting that so many people have mentioned how good LRG looks with Kalahari, because to my eye it clashes a bit instead of contrasts. I would have gone brownstone with LRG and a brown top, but different strokes for different folks! As long as people are happy, that's all that matters. I would have never thought the red interior would have looked anything other than tragic on a blue car but it does seem to work on both blues if that's your thing.

I am kind of surprised that GM didn't put in a more beige color as someone else posted here. I wouldn't be surprised to se something of a blue/black mix before this car's run is over, or maybe another color. It doesn't seem like they really ran a wide gamut on interior choices initially, especially compared to all the beautiful paint color choices that we got right out of the gate. I felt that the interior choices were a little lacking and just needed one more on the list.

But hey, what do I know, I picked jet black which a lot of people (maybe myself included in a few weeks/months/years) think is boooooooriiiiing! At least it'll give me a reason to get another new car someday though if that's the case!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:40 AM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

I think this pic is what you are looking to see.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To True color of Kalahari Leather

Old 06-26-2014, 12:19 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

I am adding the swoosh piece that runs across the top of the dash.

That's a nice tweak to the 2LT.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:54 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am adding the swoosh piece that runs across the top of the dash.

That's a nice tweak to the 2LT.
I may do the same .. That's a nice touch.

But I swear .. I've looked at 100 pictures of Kalahari interiors, and can't for the life of me characterize it as orange. I see tan, sand, maybe a little gold .. but I'm not seeing orange at all.

Just did a google image search for 'Corvette Kalahari interior' and not a one of them reminded me of a basketball ..

Guess we'll be knowing soon ..
Old 06-26-2014, 12:58 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

The color can be characterized as Camel. More people can relate to what Camel is rather than Kalahari.

Quick Reply: True color of Kalahari Leather