C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great News! Chevy Customer Service addresses Infotainment/Navigation issues!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:48 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by skinner1961
Yup i got to agree the infotainment system is a joke , cars a third of the cost are light years ahead of this junk, the car is ok just to bad they did not step up to the plate with the electronics
I have always said that GM makes cars and not electronic systems. Lets just hope they clean up some of the problems in 2015.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to my world!!! I've been an IT guy for almost 30 years and found lots of bugs in software. Sometimes they fix them, sometimes they tell you "working as designed", and my personal favorite, "it's not a bug, it's a feature".

The issue here is that GM does not have a process in place for end-users to report "bugs" in their infotainment systems. Sure the mechanics at the dealership could do it, but they don't really know how they are suppose to work in the first place and their job is to replace parts, not report software bugs. The end result is that software issues never get reported to the right people and therefore never get fixed.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:05 AM
xtaski
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM doesn't write the software in an infotainment system - it comes from suppliers. They're basically an integrator so they probably don't even have the source code.

Regarding your issue with 2 of 12 videos playing. It is likely that while they are the same file format, they were encoded under unplayable settings (eg a high frame rate would be my first bet). Use Handbrake and encode them in a compatible format and it may solve your issue.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

The Nav system truly is a joke. POI's are about useless. It is not user friendly, have a hard time even seeing what gas stations are at next exit or food.

The Nav unit on my Harley is way better, and it was about 44K less than the Stingray. Nav unit on my Ranger Rover is way better, 20K less.

My Garmin is way better than all the above.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

We have experienced the same issues, but my wife and I usually travel together and by tag teaming the system we have had pretty good luck! Of course on longer trips we always include our trusty Garmin NUVI that is 10 years old and still works with effortless efficiency! We type in the city where we are looking for the POI and then search and usually it works pretty good. (The key word is usually) We are in the planning stages for a Route 66 adventure now and we will try with the infotainment system, but the Garmin will be ready if needed. Redundancy is the plan like flying! Of course GM could contract with Garmin to produce the units!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:08 PM
GQMGT
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a 2014 Subaru Forester. After purchasing it, I found the navigation somewhat complex. Six months after the purchase, Subaru offered a free upgrade to it. It took about an hour of reprogramming. While it still isn't perfect, it's a whole lot better. If Subaru can do this why not GM ?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Since I bought my C7 strictly for the infotainment system I am red hot with anger right now!! And for Chevy customer care to not take the suggestions of a random corvette forum member is even more appalling.

How can they not patch you through directly to the design team? Or the people who write the codes for the infotainment software? I'm truly flabbergasted, why wouldn't they want to speak with you?? Looks like the customer service department worked as they were 'designed to'; to be a gatekeeper against customers with suggestions.

Last edited by Mfserge; 06-25-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:19 AM
skinner1961
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GQMGT
I have a 2014 Subaru Forester. After purchasing it, I found the navigation somewhat complex. Six months after the purchase, Subaru offered a free upgrade to it. It took about an hour of reprogramming. While it still isn't perfect, it's a whole lot better. If Subaru can do this why not GM ?
Because Subaru care about there customers, GM couldnt care less its sad but the downward spiral is well under way
Old 06-26-2014, 09:22 AM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mfserge
Since I bought my C7 strictly for the infotainment system I am red hot with anger right now!! And for Chevy customer care to not take the suggestions of a random corvette forum member is even more appalling.

How can they not patch you through directly to the design team? Or the people who write the codes for the infotainment software? I'm truly flabbergasted, why wouldn't they want to speak with you?? Looks like the customer service department worked as they were 'designed to'; to be a gatekeeper against customers with suggestions.
Mfserge,

Thank you so much for your wholehearted endorsement of my position regarding these issues.

My work in documenting these real, genuine flaws in the Infotainment/Nav System ought to be responded to in some way other than the corporate brush off that I've experiences thus far!

One would think that, after I have discovered pages missing in the owners manual, and provided information to correct the process of how to load POIs into the Nav system so that the other 35,000 2014 Corvette owners can actually do it, someone at GM would at least say "Thank You"!

When I first asked about how to load POIs, and after I discussed this with customer service on the phone, they tried a number of options, escalated the flaw up the support ladder, and finally called to tell me it wasn't possible. Imagine their surprise when I called to tell them I had figured it out and email them a pdf that outlined the correct process and corrections to the documentation they have provided in the owners manual, so that they could provide the solution to other callers! (an autographed Corvette leather jacket would have been a nice thank you!)

As far as achieving contact from someone who can understand the issues, and maybe even correct them, it is appalling to note that, the suggestion that they would put me in touch with someone who could help was offered by GM customer support! Early on, my request for a solution to a Nav POI problem I had documented for them (with the help of fellow forum members around the country) was met with a suggestion from Jennie that she would contact someone that could help. That being said, I AM truly flabbergasted. Why wouldn't they want to speak with me??

I also agree that the customer service department worked as they were 'designed to'. It appears that customer service, in an effort to perform as designed, has done a fine job of NOT providing any solutions to the flaws that they originally expressed concern about, but now indicate were designed into the Corvette's obviously spectacular Nav/Info system!

It's great to know that a fellow forum member, who has been on the forum since May 2014, shares in my concerns! Your deep insight and highly experienced point of view is a great asset to the forum. I'm sure that your comments on our forums will indeed have a positive effect on discussions in the future!

Ed

Last edited by c5eddiem; 06-26-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

You have a lot of time on your hands. 12 PMs to customer service, 8 phone calls, you built a wooden base for your garmin to be mounted behind the drop down screen; all because your POIs don't work properly. This must be a huge concern for you since you created PDFs to solve the problem and felt the need to make lengthy posts about this 'issue'. And the manual missing pages?? I'm surprised that anyone would get so upset about these things, to me it's a non-issue

Your effort to fix this problem for the 35,000 C7 owners is admirable but you can make that 34,999 because I could care less about POIs.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 AM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfserge
You have a lot of time on your hands. 12 PMs to customer service, 8 phone calls, you built a wooden base for your garmin to be mounted behind the drop down screen; all because your POIs don't work properly. This must be a huge concern for you since you created PDFs to solve the problem and felt the need to make lengthy posts about this 'issue'. And the manual missing pages?? I'm surprised that anyone would get so upset about these things, to me it's a non-issue

Your effort to fix this problem for the 35,000 C7 owners is admirable but you can make that 34,999 because I could care less about POIs.

I couldn't care less either about his POI's mainly because I haven't the foggiest idea what they are. Frankly I find my Nav and entire infotainment system to be totally awesome. I am blown away by the blue tooth and Ipod connections. All new to me.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:22 AM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

General Information about POIs... for those who are interested or find that they may be, once they figure out what they are...

To simplify,
POIs are "Points Of Interest" that may be added to your GPS system to allow quick access to places that you may want to visit or that you frequently go to. They are defined destinations that others may have provided, or you have saved to make your trips easier to navigate.

For example, I know how to get to a specific hamburger joint, but I may be trying to get to it from a number of different locations depending on where I am when I decide I want a burger, so I create a POI in my GPS. Much like the built-in destinations in our GPS, MyPOIs become a list of "Frequently Visited Locations", but they are mine, and are grouped in one place with a title. Instead of selecting Points of Interest, then Food, then Fast Food, then searching the list of offerings (and hoping it's nearby enough to be listed), I just select MyPOIs and it's listed. I select, and press GO.

Another example. In MyPOIs I have a POI named "Tappan Zee to NJ" and another named "George Washington Bridge to NJ". Depending on where I am, and traffic reports on the radio, I go to MyPOIs and select the better way to go from my current location. There is no listing for these destinations in the built-in GPS, but are easily called up when I need them.

I would recommend a visit to www.poi-factory.com

They offer sets of downloadable POIs created by other users. So, I can download a set of National Parks, Dunkin Donut locations, Neat Places to Visit in your State, Rest Areas, etc.

They also offer Speed Camera POIs that may be stored in your GPS and with the correct settings turned on, will display on your Nav screen when you are near one! (In other Nav systems, they actually sound an alert when you are near them... sorry, not in MyLink)

Planning a vacation to Bowling Green? There's probably a set of other attractions in the area to visit during your stay! (of course, that would be after you visit the Museum and take the Factory Tour a few times!)

POIs are stored in a standardized format, much like playlists in an audio system. They are easily uploaded and downloaded to move from car to portable GPS or another car. (in many other systems). When I bought my 2011 Charger, I downloaded my POI file from my portable GPS to a USB stick and the uploaded the file into the car's GPS.

The bottom line: If you've used POIs in some of your other cars or in your portable GPS(s), you will certainly be disappointed with the poor implementation in the Corvette system. That's my situation. I've had a quality GPS system built into my last 3 cars, and had numerous portable GPSs in other cars, and a simple and reliable way to upload POIs is indeed a flaw in the MyLink system. In my other cars, it was a 5 minute, no instructions needed process.

I'm just hoping to help get it fixed for those who DO care. If you DON'T, why bother posting?

Enjoy your Vette!
Ed

ps. Plenty of time to try to get GM to help with a simple fix and update, AND to drive my new Vette! - You'll understand once you're retired!

Last edited by c5eddiem; 06-26-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:22 AM
GazUK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribing
Old 07-12-2014, 07:40 AM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Welcome to GM customer service.

Sorry to hear about the frustrations.

I love the "it's designed as intended" line--great concern on GM's part. NOT!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The OP does not sound like a raving, ranting person to me. He sounds concerned, aware, fairly knowledgeable and seems to want to take the time so that others won't have to, or will get a fix that he is asking for. Seems like a "public service" to me.

To be fair, I don't own a C7 but I've had four different windshield navs both Magellan and TomTom. I've had lots of conversations with their software "teams," at both companies. Magellan was a total waste of time until they finally just gave me a new, upgraded unit. Twice, and two years apart. TomTom has been just the opposite of what's been posted here by those in the software industry.

As recently as two days ago, they admitted, in writing, there is a problem that they know about and are trying to correct. Plus, they indicated a new way (more time, but seems to work) to download updates. And this is not their first time admitting there is a problem.

About 9 mos. ago, some items "disappeared" on my screen. I told them about it. They said, it's a problem and as soon as they have a fix, it'll be in the updates section that I get automatically. Two months later, it was part of my connect/download updates and it was fixed, permanently.

I do agree that GM isn't in the biz of nav, but since it's offered they're going to have to get better at communication. If the nav companies can communicate effectively w. customers like me, this expensive option on Corvettes will need some attention----not silence. jmo
Old 07-13-2014, 01:08 PM
truckin-on
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the key point here, which some are missing, is that GM is not taking advantage of a knowledgeable, concerned, and willing-to-help customer base to improve their product.

I just completed a long survey from Chevrolet on my new C7, after 3500 miles, and I took the time to provide some good feedback on the few issues I found less that perfect (none major) that I believe would improve the car if addressed.

I would be astonished to ever be contacted from Chevy with anything other than an automated response - which seems a shame given the relative small number of C7s out there, and the likely even smaller number of folks who actually take the time to respond to the survey. Ah well, it is GM after all, not Corvette, Inc. Set your expectations appropriately...
Old 07-13-2014, 03:39 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Well said!

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
I visit other marquee forums and have never seen the kind of snarky, self righteous comments like I now see here on the C7 forum. On other forums, the OP would have been supported in his efforts to get the manufacturer to fix what is obviously an unsat situation in his opinion. HERE??? He gets told to not get his panties in a wad, or quit using his car as a UPS truck, or as an ipad. What happened to the idea that this was a forum of users that are here to support other folks, or get help with issues they have with their car? The occasional off the wall comment I can understand but here everybody sees an opportunity to pile on and boy do they.

Keep this up and sooner or later you will taste a little karma paid forward.
I agree! Forums should be constructive, helpful, and positive. A forum should be a fun way to get more enjoyment out of a vehicle...especially regarding a pleasure car like our Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Great News! Chevy Customer Service addresses Infotainment/Navigation issues!

Old 07-13-2014, 03:56 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by c5eddiem
After over 2 months of communications about C7 Infotainment and Navigation issues, I have received an official response from Customer service. Finally!

My contact with GM was via my local dealer, phone calls (over 8 calls), and Chevrolet Customer Service (over 12 PMs) on the
forum. My basic request was to be put in touch with someone in the software design team to see if they are even aware of these issues, and ask if they could be addressed with a simple software fix and update to the system.

The final response from Chevrolet Customer Care on our forum is as follows:

Hey Ed,

After working with Chevrolet of Milford we were able to pass on your recommendations to the Regional Representative. I apologize as I know this may not have been the desired outcome, but we have documented this feedback into our system to utilize. As this time, we are unable to provide further assistance regarding your Navigation since it is working as designed.

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

AHA!......"it is working as designed"...Had I known that it was that simple, I wouldn't have even brought these issues up!

When I started my quest for answers, I discovered the fact that the owner's manual left out instructions on how to load POIs, so I figured out how to do it using pages from the Cadillac owners manual. Of course, those instructions were wrong and the example they gave had syntax errors. So I figured out how the example should be set up to work, and provided the results to customer service. No "thank you" was offered.

I wish I had known up front that the C7 owners manual left out pages on purpose. The manual is "working as designed"

I wish I had known up front that the Cadillac owners manual gave a non-working example on purpose. The errors in the manual were put there on purpose and are "working as designed"

The good new is that they "have documented this feedback into our system to utilize" - for what? Apparently NOT to develop a fix and provide updates because it's "working as designed"!

The issue that really baffled them was that the system will not load other-than-local POIs (Documented with the help of many forum members). They must have looked into it and decided it was "designed" to not load all of the POIs on a user's USB file.

In the same series of PMs to Jennie, I asked why they would create menu choices for audiobooks and podcasts that would not show audiobooks and podcasts, even though it is documented to work in the C7 owners manual. No response. But relax C7 owners, it's "designed" that way!

I also asked why I can put 12 videos (all the same format and video specifications) on a USB stick, but only 2 show up under the Videos menu choice, and only those two would play, even though it is documented to organize and play videos in the C7 owners manual. No response. But relax C7 owners' it's "designed" that way!

Congratulations fellow C7 owners, your Infotainment/Navigation system is PERFECT. After all the posts about issues with the system, I hope you will feel better knowing that even though you may think the system doesn't work the way it should, it DOES,
because it's "working as designed".

Disappointed? Yep!

Ed
does anyone rember the lawsuit brought by the woman in cal.that was following her phone nav. and it led her into the street and a car hit her.
the court found for her and she won BIG time .maybe it will take g.m. killing more'' people ,this time with a nav system ..
i didn't get that letter and it pissed me off .sounded like the service dept. fav. words '' thats normal''
thanks for the post and let me know about that c. a. suit
Old 07-13-2014, 04:22 PM
kwickag
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe the fix will be mailing out new pages in the manual properly describing what to expect.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:40 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I was going to add the Nav to my order but by the time I had made the decision my idled jumped to 3100 and no go.

So my indecision may have saved me some heartburn.

Quick Reply: Great News! Chevy Customer Service addresses Infotainment/Navigation issues!