Sponsored by:

Seat cover problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 AM
STNGREY
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat cover problem

Hi new to this forum, so this is my first post.

I have a new Cyber Grey Stingray 2lt that I simply love. However recently the seat cover came detached.

I bought the Car at Kerbeck in Atlantic City as my local dealer Fred Beans could not deliver as promised.

I have decided to use Fred beans as my local service but I am nervous as they have not had a lot of experience on the new model. They are very nice, but the fact that they cant tell me how long it will take to replace the seat cover- Their estimate of 2-8hrs has me a bit concerned

I would ask for guidance
Should I be happy they just want to replace the cover or should I be wanting an entirely new seat?
How difficult a job is this? Could an inexperienced technician do more harm then good?

Thank you
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2014, 09:01 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't see them replacing the entire seat. You will be fine with them only replacing the seat cover. I had my drivers side back seat cover replaced after the corvette flag broke off on the top of the seat back. Repair was fine once the dealership spoke to the plant and found out you needed to use a heat gun when you replace the seat back cover to help the cover form to the seat back. Before they used the heat gun it looked like sh*t. Looks new now. Good luck!!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:32 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

For what it's worth, a lot of dealers farm out upholstery work to a local shop rather than try to have the expertise in-house.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:40 AM
STNGREY
Cruising

Default Just concerned

I am concerned as the service manager told me they will do it in-house. I asked if they had ever applied a seat cover to a 2014 corvette- their answer was no. I asked if they knew how long it would take and I again got the 2- 8 hour estimate which does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I have an email into Joe at Kerbeck to see what they can do for me. Atlantic city is 2 hours away vs 10 minutes to Fred Beans but I think I may be better off with a service team that is more familiar. I am not sure but I have seen some really bad photos of mangled seats, scuffed sills and scratched consoles.

thank you for all advice.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:45 AM
skyrunner
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful if the dealer wants to send to a 3rd party. When i bought my challenger a couple years back it had some scratches on the hood and some damage to the seats so before i took delivery they had it worked on from a 3rd party and then they put it in as an insurance claim which goes on the record of your car. When i tried selling it, a couple places devalued the car even more cus of the insurance claim that was on the car before i even took delivery.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:48 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Mine came apart the same way. I just pushed it back into the back part of seat,using my palms and fingers to get it set.
This has happened to me more than once, I noticed it was caused by the way I exited the car. I was putting my hand on that area of the seat to help push myself out. I stopped doing that and the seat never came apart again.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:21 PM
redline_c7
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Easy fix no tools needed

The same happened to me. The rubber piping attached to the leather fits into a groove in the hard plastic track that forms the seat. Follow the leather that has popped out until you see a point where it is still attached to the seat and you will see what I mean. The piping folds once into the groove. Just fold the leather and slip it back into the plastic groove..no tools needed. You might have to squish the seat foam on the side bolsters to give enough slack in the seat cover to push the rubber piping into the groove.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:36 PM
STNGREY
Cruising

Default It will not stay in

I tried to re-seat into the groove but it will not stay. There are metal clips that I believe hold it in place but the material seems to be stretched in the areas where the clips probably were.

The technicians at Fred Beans tried to do the same and determined that it could not be fixed.

I am just concerned that they have not done a re-skin on a 2014 corvette so if I stay with local dealer it will be their first.

My son is a Service manager for Chrysler and he just told me it depends on who they put on the job.

He told me technicians would have no problem replacing the seat but to put a new seat cover on is best done by someone with experience.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:09 PM
redline_c7
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strange. I did not see any clips. In fact, I just pulled it apart to check (at the seat airbag side). Popped the seat cover back in the groove and it's nice and snug. Sounds like you will have to visit another dealer.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:37 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

You shouldn't be satisfied with just being able to pop it back in. It's obviously a design flaw and needs to be addressed at the dealer.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:46 PM
mikebq
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default seat cover

Originally Posted by STNGREY

I have a new Cyber Grey Stingray 2lt that I simply love. However recently the seat cover came detached.

I bought the Car at Kerbeck in Atlantic City as my local dealer Fred Beans could not deliver as promised.

I have decided to use Fred beans as my local service but I am nervous as they have not had a lot of experience on the new model. They are very nice, but the fact that they cant tell me how long it will take to replace the seat cover- Their estimate of 2-8hrs has me a bit concerned

I would ask for guidance
Should I be happy they just want to replace the cover or should I be wanting an entirely new seat?
How difficult a job is this? Could an inexperienced technician do more harm then good?

Thank you
A new seat cover is all you should be asking for. There not going to be replacing a seat. I delivered a brand new vette this year with a tear in the side of the seat. My GM didn't argue, he immediately told us to send him to service and make an appointment for a new seat cover. Hope it works out.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 PM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Default seat

i would give the dealer a chance. how many seat repairs does a dealer do a year, especially on a 2014 corvette. you may be over reacting. the dealer is not in business to do anything but be professional. i personally have owned numerous corvettes, and always felt i'm better off going to the dealer. i never had any reason to think otherwise. i also get my oil changed by the dealer, and have run flats on my car. Kerbeck is also a dealer and i wonder how many seats they have fixed? sounds like your dealer is being honest with you, i would stay with the professionals.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 PM
48supertruck
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

If you want to fix it yourself, go to my thread on converting the gt seat to comp seat. I explain how to dig the metal clips out and how to reattach it. You can probably fix this without taking the seat out. The seat covers for both styles seats attach the same way. Here is the link.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-t...onversion.html

Last edited by 48supertruck; 06-20-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:02 AM
STNGREY
Cruising

Default Thank you

I appreciate the recommendations. I will look to see if the metal clips are in the groove and can be reattached.

I appreciate the dealer telling me the truth. However knowing that they have no experience with this I would have to accept that a technician would be trying to figure this out. I have found that instructions and procedures are important, but experience, even done once is beneficial.

As for overreacting- maybe- that is why I asked for guidance!

Thanks for those who took the time to respond.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Same thing happened to my passenger seat. The dealership tucked it back in within 5 minutes.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:54 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Looks and sounds like an easy fix.

By the way, a certain someone has posted the pic in his blog.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:18 PM
DriveCorvette
Racer

Originally Posted by John Harry
For what it's worth, a lot of dealers farm out upholstery work to a local shop rather than try to have the expertise in-house.
Exactly right

Get notified of new replies

To Seat cover problem

Old 06-23-2014, 06:13 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More GM defects... I have not seen any problems yet with the competition seats.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Let the dealer fix it. They'll make it right.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:45 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by STNGREY

I would ask for guidance

Thank you
For me I would take it back to Kerbeck if only 2 hours away !!! Wayne

Quick Reply: Seat cover problem