Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me build my new Vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 11:13 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

No matter how you slice it, chrome wheels are a $1995 option. I'm not sure where you got the idea that "In the package (you) priced, there wasn't a up-charge for chrome".

Separate from how they look, chrome wheels are considerably more expensive to repair than painted or polished ones in the event of "curb rash".
Old 06-18-2014, 11:56 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Well, with NRB and Adrenaline Red you'll need to add option D30 - Color Override. Your color combination is not suggested by GM, hence the need for D30.

2015 Color and Trim
Old 06-19-2014, 12:00 AM
darkhorsevette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3lt.....
Old 06-19-2014, 05:16 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Congrats on deciding to join the rest of the Corvette clan!

You're at the toughest spot ( other than maybe waiting on delivery), which is all those damned choices! Looks like you've done some research though and picked out some good options. I certainly wouldn't try to change your mind or disparage anything that you like, but will give you a few things to possibly consider:

1) If you do plan on keeping this car for a while, make sure that it makes YOU happy. You'll be the one enjoying it! Someone else down the road may buy it, and yes choices now will make that easier or more difficult but enjoying it while you have it is the most important part.

2) Make sure to compare 3LT to 2LT on interiors and strongly consider upgrading. There's a color difference on all colors but black on how it goes up the middle and dash area, and the materials are better in all colors on the 3LT as well as having more leather. It might be worth it to you once you see the difference, it really shows with red. You'll also get the NAV with 3LT, which you already had factored in.

3) If you do want to do red interior, especially on a blue car, I'd really look at the red calipers. It pulls the color in nicely. I certainly would consider yellow if you picked a different interior color as it looks great with blue paint, but not yellow with red interior as it'd be too much going on in that case.

4) Wheels are completely subjective for appearance, but chrome by far I would think would be the hardest for wear and tear and most upkeep. Just keep that in mind. They're probably the easiest to ding up and I'm not sure how fixable any of those dings would be, or how much they'd survive a brush with a curb without permanent damage. With the color you picked all 3 could really work as options and if you did change out the wheels you could put the money toward another option should you decide to change up (if you're on a budget).

5) Don't doubt yourself once you do put the order in! You're gonna love it however you decided to customize it and it'll be awesome!

Hope that you get your order in soon and are enjoying your new ride this summer!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:41 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I think you have it spec'd out pretty well. Some are a matter of personal taste but the essentials are there. Welcome and good luck with the order.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I would not get NRB with red interior-NRB is a great color and red is also great but not together-horrible in my opinion. Maybe it was classic in 1964, but it is not considered as a classic combo today. I think GM agrees and charges you an extra cost to overrride color combos.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Don't do the Superman colors!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:48 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

my 0.02

if you have not seen night race blue in person, might want to before you order.
That's what I though I wanted until I saw it on a camaro in full sun. Too close to black and not enough blue. That said, I have seen NRB literally in passing (opposite directions on the interstate) on a C7; for the whole 4 seconds it was in sight, it did appear to be more blue.

2LT has a nice option mix.

Might consider the sueded seat inserts. They are a lot cooler to sit on than straight leather.

The vette mech. at my local dealer is not impressed w/ Z51, unless perhaps you intend on doing a lot of track driving.

I was ambivalent about painted calipers until I saw another CG without them. Made me appreciate mine (red).

I like chrome, but not split spoke.

wheel caps - you want crossed flags (standard) or pay a couple hundred more for the stingay that matches the one on the fender?

I agree with what others have said - Value is relative; order what appeals to you.

Last edited by aj98; 06-19-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:52 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Everyone has their own taste and preferences, which is why they're given choices when building these things. I don't see the value in making fun of this gal/fella for wanting night race blue and red interior if he/she really likes it. It's certainly a bold combo but it's a bold looking car to begin with to a lot of people.

Some people may very well look at my car and find it to be incredibly boring (torch red, jet black, black top) but I bet that I'll like it when I get it. I like bright red even though many might find a red Corvette or any red sports car cliché, and I find black interior practical as it seems to stay newer looking longer even though some of the other options (hello brownstone) might be more gorgeous at the beginning.

To each their own!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:54 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Originally Posted by aj98
my 0.02

if you have not seen night race blue in person, might want to before you order.
That's what I though I wanted until I saw it on a camaro in full sun. Too close to black and not enough blue. That said, I have seen NRB literally in passing (opposite directions on the interstate) on a C7; for the whole 4 seconds it was in sight, it did appear to be more blue.

2LT has a nice option mix.

The vette mech. at my local dealer is not impressed w/ Z51, unless perhaps you intend on doing a lot of track driving.

I was ambivalent about painted calipers until I saw another CG without them. Made me appreciate mine (red).

I like chrome, but not split spoke.

wheel caps - you want crossed flags (standard) or pay a couple hundred more for the stingay that matches the one on the fender?

I agree with what others have said - Value is relative; order what appeals to you.
Agree totally on seeing the color in person first if you can, night race blue really is very very dark but the blue peeks out, especially in direct sunlight. I was kind of surprised at how dark it really was.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:58 AM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Ok.....I take back what I said earlier about not liking NRB with red interior. There is another board and thread that has many NRB's with red interior and I have to say....looks pretty dang awesome. I think you're on to something! I see why you like that combo. I didn't think it would look good, but once seeing it, it's pretty striking! Do it!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by FEEDMESLURPIES
Everyone has their own taste and preferences, which is why they're given choices when building these things. I don't see the value in making fun of this gal/fella for wanting night race blue and red interior if he/she really likes it. It's
To each their own!

Valid statement, except the OP stated he wanted any and all criticisms in order to help him decide.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:16 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Valid statement, except the OP stated he wanted any and all criticisms in order to help him decide.
True, and I didn't say that anyone had picked on the guy/gal directly yet (they don't seem to have) and have just been voicing opinions. Thing is, though, and this is more directed at the topic starter, a lot of times your first guy reaction to choice is right. If you have a strong feeling about a combo but then change it because of what some people tell you, you may regret it later. Just keep that in mind as you go through this.

The color and option choices were tough for me, too, and I'm more anxious about seeing how it turned out once I get the car to hopefully confirm that I like it more than anything else because I haven't seen the ones that I chose in person. If you really are up for some legwork maybe you can try some local dealerships to see if anyone in your area has a car with the exterior, interior, or both and take a look to really be sure. Or maybe find a generous forum member to let you see his/hers. I doubt that you'll find a car nearby with your combo but maybe you'll hit the jackpot!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

As others have said, the most important thing is getting what you want and forgeddibout what someone else might want when you sell it. I'd go with the 3Lt ( unless it's too much red for you or you're trying to save a buck) and red calipers. But again, this is for you, not me or anyone else. You have to look at it every day. Don't stand short or you'll regret it.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
No matter how you slice it, chrome wheels are a $1995 option. I'm not sure where you got the idea that "In the package (you) priced,...
I stand corrected. You are absolutely correct on the pricing. I just misread the info.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by darkhorsevette
3lt.....
Why? It didn't appear to me to be a good value for my needs but I freely admit I'm a novice when it comes to building a new vette so I'm all ears.

UPDATE: I did think the 3LT interior was too much red.

Last edited by dwward; 06-19-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:10 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Speednet
Don't do the Superman colors!
That would be Laguna Blue which I would certainly never mix with the red interior.

Another thread reported very favorable reviews of the red interior on a black C7 which has convinced me to go with my heart.
Originally Posted by Corvette ED
....My good friend who owns Klick-Lewis Chevrolet asked me if I would like to answer questions about the 2014 Corvette at the show. We had a Black 3LT Coupe with Red interior, NPP, Chrome Wheels,....I talked to hundreds of people all day long. ....The interior was a big hit on the C7. If anybody asked I let them sit in the car to see how they fit. Most people loved the red interior....
I certainly get that it's not for everyone, and I get that. But as someone else pointed out, this is a car I plan to keep for many years and I find the novelty of the color combination a plus. As I said, the GM preferred interiors to be unimaginatively pedestrian.

Last edited by dwward; 06-19-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me build my new Vette

Old 06-19-2014, 11:39 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I do want all criticisms and suggestions. Everyone has been incredibly helpful and friendly. I couldn't be more pleased with the responses I've received, pro and con. I've added options to my list and rethought several of my choices. Exactly what I want!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Art-2008
Instructor

Like others have said, get what YOU want.......it should be your "dream car" and an extension of you.

I have a Laguna Blue Z51 coupe with silver stripes & wheels. I think the stripes really make the car look special (I already know that not everyone on this forum agrees).

I think the silver stripes & silver painted wheels really compliment each other well. "Build" your car on the Chevrolet site with the stripes and see what you think.

All C7's are great looking cars, it would be hard to build a "bad" one......Good Luck, Art
Old 06-19-2014, 01:31 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Regarding 2LT vs. 3LT, keep in mind that with Adrenaline Red the most noticeable difference will be the placement of color. With 2LT the seats, center armrest, and door armrests will be in red and the entire dashboard will be jet black. With 3LT red will be added to the dashboard which you may or may not like.

2LT:

3LT:

Quick Reply: Help me build my new Vette