Sponsored by:

Opinions on Nav

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:41 PM
gulflyer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Opinions on Nav

I finally pulled the trigger and placed my '14 C7 order yesterday, TR z51, npp, fay. I'm doing some second guessing on not ordering nav. It's probably a non-issue now as the order has already been placed but am interested in opinions out there on whether it's really worth it.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:46 PM
mfear
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i thought 6/12 was the last day for MY14 orders?

Maybe I'm wrong.. best of luck! I'm looking forward to the nav discussion, as well.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:01 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by gulflyer
I finally pulled the trigger and placed my '14 C7 order yesterday, TR z51, npp, fay. I'm doing some second guessing on not ordering nav. It's probably a non-issue now as the order has already been placed but am interested in opinions out there on whether it's really worth it.
Nav on C7 works fine--used it twice yesterday and got there both times.

That said, the Magellan windshield mount Nav we use in my wife's car works fine, too. Gets us there every time.

You will be fine without orig equip Nav on your C7.

You will LOVE this car!
Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Pge70
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had nav on my escalade. Just ok. I've heard some with problems with nav.
I use Onstar for directions.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:48 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

resale value.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:58 PM
emsguy
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I wanted a 3LT, so I had no choice about getting nav. after about a month, it is clunkier and slower than Garmin. especially slow to respond to voice commands. interstate exit photos on Garmin much better than arrows on GM. traffic is okay, but again Garmin is better.
If I could have gotten the 3LT leather package without nav, I would have saved the $800.

just my opinion
Old 06-15-2014, 02:59 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I actually like the C7 Nav. Here in So. Cal, it's very accurate and I love the way it integrates with the gauge cluster and HUD. I'm glad I got it.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:15 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

The C7's Nav system is FAR SUPERIOR to the C6's, that's for sure!

Integrates nicely with the car HUD, DIC, etc), is accurate and easy to use. And the VR is quite good too!

Well worth the $795 price
Old 06-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Dunga
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi there. I'm still waiting to take delivery of my car hopefully in a week or so, but I did play with the nav on my friends new suburban. I believe they are similar with some interface differences. I thought the coolest thing was you push a button and on star comes on. "Hello I want directions to the nearest holiday inn please" and in 30 seconds the operator found the address and sent it sirectly to the nav.

Obviously you can google it on your phone and put it in manually, it's just more convenient if for example you driving on the freeway and you don't want to pull over to use your phone.

Also at $800 it's not terrible. Adding nav to my honda would have been $2,500 which is obscene especially on a $32,000 car. I opted out! On the corvette I got it.

Good luck and congrats on your order.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What GM should do is allow for your phone navigation to be displayed on their screen, instead of their own navigation system.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:24 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I tend to follow the notion that "If you don't know where you're going, why are you getting in your car?" That said, I prefer to program my iphone /imaps and review my route before I leave. When I'm on the road I try to just listen to the voice commands if I still need them. Imaps is free with an Iphone and so are the updates. Yes, Imaps has problems but then again they all do. JMHO.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:05 PM
azula
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
What GM should do is allow for your phone navigation to be displayed on their screen, instead of their own navigation system.
I second this. I have found nothing simpler/better than google maps on my android. 100% reliable for me.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:19 PM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by KenHorse

Integrates nicely with the car HUD, DIC, etc), is accurate and easy to use. And the VR is quite good too!

Even though I'm a liberal, I agree with Ken Horse! Lol.

There is a 200 after market program that let's you watch blue ray movies and enter destinations while driving. I'm getting it.

The traffic function of the nav is awesome in Los Angeles. I need it.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:38 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

Google maps better IMHO. Not worth the $800; if you didn't order it I wouldn't worry. GM system has some quirks about it. Routing from mapquest is changed when downloaded, so really have to watch the routing you "think" you have. Mileage to destination is off when compared to other programs. My Garmin with lifetime updates is much better overall, but not as big a screen.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:49 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse

I have owned both the C6 and C7 with NAV. The C7 NAV unit is much better in every way....
Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM
gulflyer
Advanced

Originally Posted by mfear

Maybe I'm wrong.. best of luck! I'm looking forward to the nav discussion, as well.
I thought that as well so was surprised when my dealer contacted me with a '14 allotment. He tells me that GM decided to extend the '14 production beyond which they had originally planned.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:02 PM
gulflyer
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback guys. My experience with GM navigation is with my 2004 Cadillac XLR which is mediocre at best. I know things have improved considerably over the last 10 years and like the HUD integration, but is it worth $800? I may see if I can add it to my order but if it can't be done I won't worry about it. I am looking forward to this car!

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on Nav

Old 06-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,117 Likes on 6,190 Posts

Originally Posted by mfear

Not exactly. June 12 was the date that dealers got their final '14 allocations. Orders need to be matched to those allocations by Monday or Tuesday (not positive which), June 16 or 17.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:11 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmmm...interesting discussion so far, and am disappointed to hear that the NAV is no better this year. I owned 2 C6's (both w/ NAV) and the C6 NAV was a complete POS compared to units in other cars at the same price point. I bought my C7 from dealer stock so I had to take the NAV, otherwise I wouldn't have paid .02 for it. I will try to learn it since some of you guys seem to think its OK. I agree that a portion of the in dash NAV will be recovered at resale.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just had a chance to use my Nav this weekend and I like it. My preferences are the 3D head-up view with voice feedback turned on. I also like the HUD link that lets you know when a turn is coming up. All I've done is type in the address and hit go. Worked all three times with no problems. I guess $800.00 is a little high but I think its worth it to be integrated with the entire car. I have a low voice and have had no luck with getting the car to understand me for any simple voice commands so I did not even try a complicated address. The best I can do is get it to "Play"-"XM"-"The Coffee House".

Quick Reply: Opinions on Nav