Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by beepster
Hmmm...interesting discussion so far, and am disappointed to hear that the NAV is no better this year.
Um, what? Did you not read the replies above saying the C7 NAV is far better than what was in the C6? They're correct.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:35 PM
mfear
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Not exactly. June 12 was the date that dealers got their final '14 allocations. Orders need to be matched to those allocations by Monday or Tuesday (not positive which), June 16 or 17.
Gotcha!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 PM
sharpgt
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the NAV a lot especially with the HUD. I also find it a pleasure to use with the voice input of destinations. I couldn't decide between a 2LT with NAV and a 3LT but decided I love leather so why not spend the extra bucks and get what I wanted. Thumbs up for the NAV!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 PM
RazorPig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do like the C7 nav, but it's not completely better. It does have a bigger screen than my '13 GS, but this nav is slower to resolve, and it doesn't find all the addresses, which is just amazing. Had to go to a hospital on Friday, not a small, one, a large one in Annapolis, it couldn't resolve it by the name and it's not the first time. I don't ever remember having that issue in the '13. I not one of the guys that hates everything about the stingray, I love this car, it is the best Vette I've ever owned period. But the infotainment system is clunky, doesn't play well and the nav portion is not an improvement.........
Old 06-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Limey25
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, dedicated nav devices are better at the job but I went with the upgrade anyway. Why? Purely and simply the nav is fully integrated with the car. No need to stick anything else on your console/windscreen, works seamlessly with the HUD and the voice commands work great for me (even with my British accent)!!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, not the likes of a Garmin, but, on balance, works fine IMO. But, as mentioned earlier, really nicely integrated into rest of the info system!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:36 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
What GM should do is allow for your phone navigation to be displayed on their screen, instead of their own navigation system.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I like it. Been using the 2013 Nissan system and find the Corvette system to be virtually the same. With the exception of the integration with the HUD and OnStar. Programming and nav displays are similar as are the drive directions. I normally operate the car with the map desplayed, I have already picked my way through a city using the map display. Have not tried voice commands yet, the Nissan has issues with my voice, so far the Corvette has recognized what I have asked. Seems navigation standardization is now being implemented between car manufacturers.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:44 PM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

I bought 3LT so I didn't have a choice.

Had I had one though, I would have gotten it for two reasons:

1) Resale value, as most cars today you would expect a feature like this, even on an extreme sports car.
2) Integration with the rest of the car and how it's implemented

I will probably rarely use it, but it is indeed nice to have. $800 nice? Maybe. But I wanted the best interior that 3LT gave so it was a non-issue for me. I'd rather buy something I might like to have but end up rarely using when I make a big purchase (a car qualifies as a big purchase to a fella like me) than something that I regret not getting. I keep cars for a while (or at least it has been the pattern so far) so I don't get many do-overs.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:29 AM
nopassing
Heel & Toe

Pros:
it interfaces with the HUD
OnStar can route you
the local speed limit can be displayed on the DIC

Cons
Garmin is superior as it can be used (by the passenger) while in route to easily find rest stops, fuel, restaurants, and more on your current route, at your destination, or other locations.
Garmin gives detailed lane information
Garmin can warn of Traffic Safety Cameras (speed and red light)
Old 06-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

The NAV is passable. I'd give it a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:37 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
I actually like the C7 Nav. Here in So. Cal, it's very accurate and I love the way it integrates with the gauge cluster and HUD. I'm glad I got it.
^^^^^^^
This... Just picked ours up last Friday and are running around unfamiliar parts of the country, so the nav has been invaluable and I've had quite a bit of seat time now to get acquainted. It took us directly to our friends' house in Charlotte NC without issue, and I do really love how they have integrated the system.

If you just got your order placed, you can make some changes until it hits 3000 status, if I recall correctly? Someone will chime in with the right status if this is the incorrect code.

Worth it in my opinion.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:23 AM
gulflyer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaman
^^^^^^^
This... Just picked ours up last Friday and are running around unfamiliar parts of the country, so the nav has been invaluable and I've had quite a bit of seat time now to get acquainted. It took us directly to our friends' house in Charlotte NC without issue, and I do really love how they have integrated the system.

If you just got your order placed, you can make some changes until it hits 3000 status, if I recall correctly? Someone will chime in with the right status if this is the incorrect code.

Worth it in my opinion.
Thanks for the info on order changes - I'm going to talk to the dealer today and see if I can add the option. A lot of good info on the thread, I really hadn't considered the effect on resale value. All in all it sounds like a good system, not perfect but good - worth it to see if I can add it.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

I bought my C7 off the floor, had Nav in it. I have a tomtom, so had kinda mixed feelings about it, but the integration and not having the tomtom take a big chunk of the windshield was a bonus.

Haven't used it on a road trip yet; these observations are from use in the 12 city metro area:

1. I like the distance to turn "countdown bar" displayed in the HUD - it is more accurate than my TomTom, especially when the streets/exits/ramps are forked and/or closely spaced.

2. Voice control is easier than manual search/pushing the buttons.

3. Would prefer it to display addresses closest to my location first.
Ex: I am in Williamsburg, Virginia, and want to go to main street.
When manually setting, why is the first choice on the list main street, outer limits, north dakota? or something equally obscure and distant?

4. sometimes hard to figure out what it wants...
Voice command, using nearby POI. System could not locate
POI : Williamsburg Winery
but the correct location was first on the list when I asked for
POI : Winery

5. Manual search/set asks for street first, then city. This yields lots of "wrong" choices to scroll through.
Voice set asks for state, city, street.
Both voice and manual should ask in the same order, if for no other reason than consistency in the user interface.

6. Tomtom updates maps quarterly; updates are free for life of the device.
"Paid maps" are 80 each.
Gm updates maps every 12-18 months, @ 200/per map.
8. I detest that the salesperson gave me bad info three different times on cost and timing of map updates.

I doubt I will re-up onstar when the 'trial' period expires, and cannot justify the monthly cost of a smartphone, so those alternatives don't work for me.

Last edited by aj98; 06-16-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I passed on the NAV option .. I have no real need for it, and have a Garmin I picked up on ebay for $40 if the need ever arises .. $800 for the glitz factor was a little much for me.. It's cool, but not THAT cool. For me, that is. $.02.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Deacondog
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Good for Wandering Drives

My C7 will have Nav but won't arrive for a few weeks. I bought a C6 just after they came out ('05) and used the nav a lot - never failed me & often helped me, including drives all over the place from here in Chicago to LA and to Maine and back. I did most the navigating in my military career (F4) and the HUD provides an additional reason to love Corvettes for me. The navigation information on the HUD is cool and useful. BUT, any navigation I've used (I have Garmin, too) makes me stupid. If I use it, I tend to rely on it and if anything is a surprise (temporary road closing, etc.) I don't have a mental picture of alternatives as I would in my studying Rand McNally days. On the other hand, I mostly use the Corvette for wandering drives with my Mrs. all around the county trying to discover new, nice or even beautiful scenery, peeks at the lake, nice curvy roads, etc. Having a much larger screen navigation, perfectly integrated into the cockpit allows me to roll up to a T or Y intersection or look ahead to see what route offers flexibility with no dead ends. Finally, in the C6 I always was able to buy the newly 'old' Nav map update from GM. That meant the prior year's update was (I think) about $125 instead of $200 and still provided me fresher, updated information than I had from the factory.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

The C7 nav has some intelligence, as it re-routed us around an area of construction while traveling in South Carolina the other day. The other potentially valuable piece is the integration with OnStar. Not sure if we will re-up once the trial expires, but I've heard good things about using their service which seamlessly is integrated with the system nav.

I'll be exploring that feature as we work our way back across the country and should have a good idea how effective it is by the time we make it back home.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on Nav

Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by beepster
Hmmm...interesting discussion so far, and am disappointed to hear that the NAV is no better this year(
Apparently you'd have been much better served investing the $795 NAV cost on a remedial reading comprehension class at your local community college
Old 06-16-2014, 01:56 PM
gulflyer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called the dealer and added the nav option. Judging from the response it makes sense to include it on the car - whether or not I use it frequently. Integration with the hud as well as improvements in the system ( the nav on my '04 XLR is crap) sold me.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

As someone stated above, I think Garmin is better but I am not disappointed with the navigation unit in the C7. Once you learn the unique quirks of the system, it is easy to use and seems to be accurate. I also like not having a GPS stuck to my windshield. Definitely glad I purchased it.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Nav