Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my brakes warped?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:46 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,203 Likes on 6,013 Posts

Flat out false. Uneven pad deposits do not make a warped rotor.
The following users liked this post:
Cliff8928 (07-10-2017)
Old 06-17-2014, 12:54 AM
Kicker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
If the Z51 rotors are 2 piece, they're not supposed to be turned.
Why can't you? Are they floating or solid mount 2 piece?
Old 06-17-2014, 12:56 AM
Kicker
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Flat out false. Uneven pad deposits do not make a warped rotor.
You are right but they can make the pedal feel like a warped rotor is present.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 06-17-2014, 12:59 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,203 Likes on 6,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Kicker
Why can't you? Are they floating or solid mount 2 piece?
The're a "solid" 2-piece.... FWIW I've turned my DBA 2-piece rotors on my race car after I had an issue with a set of pads gouging them badly. No issues if the shop knows what they're doing and turns them on sllow.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:00 AM
Kicker
Instructor

The're a "solid" 2-piece.... FWIW I've turned my DBA 2-piece rotors on my race car after I had an issue with a set of pads gouging them badly. No issues if the shop knows what they're doing and turns them on sllow.
I figured it could be done.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:14 AM
TRC7
Intermediate

Default Rotors being replaced

Just back from the dealer, Rear rotors or order and will be replaced next week. VIN #757, 5800 MI, Z51, never tracked.
TRC7

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey VAmikeC7,

I’m sorry that you have this concern with your brakes. It looks like you are asking the forum for some feedback, but might head to the dealership once TRC7 speaks with his dealer. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you decide to head in.

Austin J. (Assisting)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi TRC7,

I see you are already planning on heading to the dealership for this braking issue. If you could let me know how the dealership visit goes, I’d appreciate it. If you have any questions before or after your visit, send a PM my way.

Austin J. (Assisting)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-17-2014, 11:31 AM
SoCalC7
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts

I feel this on occasion too. Subscribing.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:48 AM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by PGSJOE
Rotors on street cars do get warped my friend, fancy article or not.
That fancy article mentioned heat being the myth for warped rotors. It went on to indicate that improper torque can be an issue. I have seen improperly torqued lug nuts cause a warped rotor first hand.

With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification, in more than 40 years of professional racing, including the Shelby/Ford GT 40s – one of the most intense brake development program in history - I have never seen a warped brake disc.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:48 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 525 Likes on 315 Posts

You should stop short then slowly creep up when stopping.

Even in street driving the brakes get hot. When you come to a stop and keep your foot on the brake some of the pad can stick to the rotor. By stopping before you need to and slowly creeping forward the pad and disk won't be sitting together long enough to fuse. By the time you are done creeping forward a couple of feet they cool down enough.

Yes, rotors can warp but it's so uncommon the answer is rotors don't warp. To get a rotor to warp they would be literally glowing at some point in their life.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:18 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalC7
I feel this on occasion too. Subscribing.

At 5900 miles, I get a constant pulsing as well, every time I use the brakes.
Vin 2839.

I am at 20%( oil change indicator), and a will have dealer check rotors also.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:12 PM
stingray87xx
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

If there's something going on with the rotors, I personally wouldn't want them turned but that's just me. I would ask if you could get replacements if possible if it comes down to that. I had rotors turned before, worst thing I could have done for my brakes. My braking regained smoothness but I lost a ton of bite and faded much quicker than before (3800lb Mustang with me in it out of all things...not a pleasant experience stopping that pig). I sucked it up and got new DBA 4000's and HP+'s. But in the end, it was worth it.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:11 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 679 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by TRC7
Just back from the dealer, Rear rotors or order and will be replaced next week. VIN #757, 5800 MI, Z51, never tracked.
TRC7
Hey TRC7,

Glad to hear they ordered the part. Thanks for keeping me posted. I look forward to a good end result – you cruising happily for the rest of the summer!

Have a great weekend,

Austin J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-24-2014, 02:38 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Rotors don't warp on street cars. You have uneven pad deposits from mild and uneven braking.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

Correct.

If you heated it enough to warp it there would be evidence i.e. blue rotors or grooving etc.

Proper pad bedding to get a uniform transfer layer helps.

Random hard use especially when pads are new is the worst case (uneven or rapid heating of pads/rotors)

-Ken
Old 06-24-2014, 04:15 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dial indicator with a magnetic mount. so easy to check rotors.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:37 PM
GazUK
Advanced

Default rear rotors replaced

My car (which is a Z51) is at the dealer with the same issue. They just called, found the rear rotors warped, new pair on their way for installation tomorrow.

Another on this thread had the every same issue he also had his rear rotors replaced.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Everyone needs to learn how to bed pads, that's why all of you are having issues. All performance brakes need to have the brakes bedded or you will get material bonded to the rotor which will simulate a "warped" rotor.

The article is accurate, 95% of all warped rotor diagnosis is wrong, it's the uneven pad material distribution that's bouncing the dial gauge. Stoptech's article isn't the first time this has been put forward. I recall a Porsche engineer having the same discussion at a club event 20 years ago.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:45 PM
TRC7
Intermediate

Default Rotors Replaced

Originally Posted by TRC7
TRC7
Rear rotors replaced. Tech also found that the emergency brake on passenger rear wheel was catching and needed to be adjusted (loosened).
Pads were not replaced just sanded. GM would not cover replacing pads at the same time under warranty. Problem is definitely reduced except at very slow rolling stop. I expect that after seating the pads this should be resolved.
TRC7

Get notified of new replies

To Are my brakes warped?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by VAmikeC7
That's probably the best word to describe it--"bucking", and the no feeling of vibration in pedal or wheel.

I'll try rebedding them as mentioned above. Kind of a nuisance knowing its happening.
I have 4,400 miles and I'm experiencing the same issues with my breaks. Very interesting.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:48 PM
GazUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by GazUK
My car (which is a Z51) is at the dealer with the same issue. They just called, found the rear rotors warped, new pair on their way for installation tomorrow.

Another on this thread had the every same issue he also had his rear rotors replaced.
Had my car back now for two days after having new rear rotors (not pads) installed, still feels the same, still feels like pulsing/warped rotors. And like others have said, mostly on slowing/rolling stops.

I had taken the pads removed and sanded the crap out of them two weeks ago, which did not fix the issue which is why I took it in the dealer a few days ago.

I'm going to have to take it back in next week as this is spoiling my driving experience.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 PM
GazUK
Advanced

Originally Posted by GazUK
Had my car back now for two days after having new rear rotors (not pads) installed, still feels the same, still feels like pulsing/warped rotors. And like others have said, mostly on slowing/rolling stops.

I had taken the pads removed and sanded the crap out of them two weeks ago, which did not fix the issue which is why I took it in the dealer a few days ago.

I'm going to have to take it back in next week as this is spoiling my driving experience.
One more thing, one of my front rotors has a visible crack in it but is is "less than 33% of the rotor surface" so GM would not cover it for replacement.

Quick Reply: Are my brakes warped?