2014 Z51 Everyday Ride...Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 PM
wjogolf1979
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Z51 Everyday Ride...Need Help

All,

So I'm in the process or purchasing my very first vette. I have wanted one ever since I was a little boy and somehow I was able to convince the wife to let me get one. Problem is the dealers around me won't let me test drive Base and Z51.

Can people that have them let me know how the ride is in both the Z51 and the base? I'm leaning towards the Z51 with mag ride, but not sure as I have had conflicting stories from dealers on what to do.

Keep in mind I will probably never track it and typically only drive on nice days with the wife. However, there will be a few days I will take it out by myself through some sharp corners at some higher speeds. Keep in mind I live in MA and the roads aren't great.

I appreciate all feedback as I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Bill
Old 06-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

A very large Corvette dealer recently told me not to get a Z51 because I would hate the hard ride. I later found out that they didn't have any allocation left for Z51 coupes and had a large supply of none Z51....put two and two together and then I understood their 'advice.'

I tested both and I did not notice a difference in the ride between the base and Z51 with mag in touring mode. Ultimately, I wanted the Z51 for the rims, larger wheels, slotted rotors, full length spoiler, and all other feature/benefits that come with the Z51. I am extremely happy with the ride quality of Z51 and the entire package as a whole. Absolutely no regrets here.

Good luck, hopefully you can find a dealer who will offer a test drive. If not, call Chevy customer service and ask if they can possibly arrange one for you.

Last edited by Mfserge; 06-09-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:46 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfserge
........... Ultimately, I wanted the Z51 for the rims, larger wheels, slotted rotors, full length spoiler, and all other feature/benefits that come with the Z51. I am extremely happy with the ride quality of Z51 and the entire package as a whole. Absolutely no regrets here.

Good luck, hopefully you can find a dealer who will offer a test drive. If not, call Chevy customer service and ask if they can possibly arrange one for you.
Ditto. If you can afford it get the Z51 with MSRC. You will be happy you did. (NPP too if it's a 2014--included with 2015 Z51.)
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

The C7 Z51 is not your fathers Z51. (read C4, circa:1984). The Z51, with or without MAG, rides just fine. MAG can get you a slightly softer ride when you want it, and a slightly firmer ride if you track it. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 PM
danshill
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Bill

I don't know where you are located but I was in Swansboro NC a few weeks ago and the dealer there let me test drive their Vettes. In fact, it was their idea. I was there no more than 5 minutes before the salesman offered me a test drive. Needless to say, I drove home in one that day. I now own a black/black 3LT Z51 coupe to go along with my 65 black roadster.

If you are interested, I checked their website the other day and they have 6 in stock.

Good luck in your search.

Dan
Old 06-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,765 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Z51 w/MRC here for DD use and it's great! Soften it up for the daily commute then stiffen it up for the fun twisties on the weekend! The ride in Touring Mode is very nice.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 PM
wjogolf1979
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kracka
Z51 w/MRC here for DD use and it's great! Soften it up for the daily commute then stiffen it up for the fun twisties on the weekend! The ride in Touring Mode is very nice.
This is all great feedback and it seem like that Z51 is the way to go with the magnetic ride. It's exactly what I was thinking, but some dealers were telling me it's too stiff, don't get it, etc. One even told me with the magnetic ride it's actually stiffer and worse and I thought the whole point was to be able to change the settings as you drive and one being touring mode. Thanks again to everyone that responded. Now lets see what kind of deal I can get my dealer to do for a 14 as they have some allocations left for the last ordering on the 12th. I had a deposit for the base with the ZF1 package, but it's not looking good for that to come off constraint.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Either Z51 or base will do fine for what you want, and both ride fine. The question is whether the extra money for the Z51 and MRC are worth it to you if you will never track it. Only you can answer that question.

I traded a C6 coupe for my C7 vert. I tracked my C6 a lot at high speeds. Since I decided to get a C7 vert it won't be tracked. After much research I decided not to spend the $$$ for Z51 and MRC since most of the features of those aren't needed unless you track or push your car hard. I'm very satisfied in my C7's ride and performance without them.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:55 PM
cbranch27
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wjogolf1979
All,

So I'm in the process or purchasing my very first vette. I have wanted one ever since I was a little boy and somehow I was able to convince the wife to let me get one. Problem is the dealers around me won't let me test drive Base and Z51.

Can people that have them let me know how the ride is in both the Z51 and the base? I'm leaning towards the Z51 with mag ride, but not sure as I have had conflicting stories from dealers on what to do.

Keep in mind I will probably never track it and typically only drive on nice days with the wife. However, there will be a few days I will take it out by myself through some sharp corners at some higher speeds. Keep in mind I live in MA and the roads aren't great.

I appreciate all feedback as I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Bill
I recommend the Z51 with MRC. When I ordered my C 7 on 12/26/13 there were no vehicles available to drive. Picked it up at the museum on 03/07/14. It's a Z51, 3LT and I have not regretted one Penney spent on the options. I have another sports car which is no slouch- a 2013 Porsche 911 S cabriolet and the Vette compares favorably at almost half the price.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Mfserge
Safety Car

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

It's exactly what I was thinking, but some dealers were telling me it's too stiff, don't get it, etc. One even told me with the magnetic ride it's actually stiffer and worse and I thought the whole point was to be able to change the settings as you drive and one being touring mode.
Some dealers base their 'advice' on what they have allocation for. . If they told you how great the Z51 is, knowing they can't get their hands on one, they may essentially lose a potential sale. Forget what some dealers say and listen to those of us that have no skin in the game. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 PM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Z51 with no mag ride and it's absolutely awesome! If you want to do some fast twisties you will love the E-Diff with the Z51.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:24 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

My C7 is on order. Meanwhile, I have a 2006 C6 Z51 without mag ride. All this talk about "harsh ride" is BS, as far as I can tell. My little wife and I drive our Z51 from So Cal to San Fran, Vegas, etc. It rides like a dream. Having said that, my C7 has not arrived, so I cannot discuss or compare its ride. I must add, however, that I stepped "down" from Z51 to "base" for my C7. Why? Many will disagree, but here are my reasons. I'll never track the car. I don't like the double spoke wheels or spoiler. I don't want the bigger wheels. They add weight and inertia. More important, larger wheels increase the risk of popping the bead and losing tire pressure if you go over a bump or curb at an angle, which would totally ruin your day. Overall, the Z51 adds weight and complexity that are unneeded unless you track the car. The dry sump oil system takes longer to warm up. Finally, while the NPP exhaust is superior to the stock exhaust, that is faint praise. I don't want the NPP's over-engineered baffles, butterfly valves, split personality, and entanglement with the car's electronics. I'll go aftermarket for a simple, deep, low muscle car growl, like I have with my C6. Having said all that, it's all a matter of personal opinion and preference. To each his own. Whatever you get, enjoy.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

You will probably be OK with either. Obviously you can get a much better deal on the non-Z51 and its easier to get.

An alternative is to go with a non-Z51 2015 with the ZF1 option that gives you the Z51 wheels, tires, and spoiler from the Z51.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:46 PM
TokyoDoc
Intermediate

As for ride, the Z51 is just fine. It's actually better than fine, and I would never call it "stiff" in any way.

I think the bigger problem is your dealer. Refusing to let you test drive is unacceptable. I would ask one more time and if they refuse, I would give him the universal one-finger hand signal, and let him know in plain language that you will take your business elsewhere.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:06 PM
C7NV
Advanced

As long as it was within their budget, nobody has ever said "I wish I hadn't of taken the Z51 with magnetic ride". On the other hand, many without had wished they had ordered it!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 PM
srosenbldr
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Diver Down
I have a Z51 with no mag ride and it's absolutely awesome! If you want to do some fast twisties you will love the E-Diff with the Z51.
Ditto here from Colorado. I have absolutely no regrets with the FE3 base suspension. Ride is firm but not harsh, handling is unbelievable! On normal roads it's a smooth ride.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:35 PM
wjogolf1979
Advanced

All great feedback and thanks for the help. I have a big decision to make for sure. I have until Thursday to decide. Looks like another few nights of not sleeping trying to figure out what to do.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Z51 Everyday Ride...Need Help

Old 06-09-2014, 09:56 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

My advice is to simply trust your gut and go in the direction you are already leaning. You won't be disappointed. If you don't intend to track and you can afford the options, then you will enjoy the overkill, as I do!

Old 06-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Joynt
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

All great feedback and thanks for the help. I have a big decision to make for sure. I have until Thursday to decide. Looks like another few nights of not sleeping trying to figure out what to do.
I didn't test drive a C7 before ordering. Purchased a 2014 Z51 with 3LT and the NPP exhaust. Never had a Vette with the MRC so I don't really know how that feels. I do not regret my purchase at all and compared to the C5 and my C6 it is a totally different car. The ride is significantly better and smoother. You won't regret whatever you do. Best of luck.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You can't go wrong whatever you decide on this issue. You'll love the car whether it's Z51 or not, with or without MRC.

Quick Reply: 2014 Z51 Everyday Ride...Need Help