C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1,900 mile trip observations; GM navigation system stinks.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 02:44 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

Default 1,900 mile trip observations; GM navigation system stinks.

Just completed a 1900 mile trip from DFW to north of Denver. Great weather for us; top down evening trip to Estes Park and back to Loveland included. Wife did have me switch from sport mode to tour mode a couple of times on some back roads. But that navigation system is very strange.
Found that the USB port in the center console will not keeps a Samsung Galaxy 3 charged up while running using Google Maps. Had to switch to USB adapter in the 12V recept.
Then the Navigation: I had uploaded a route I selected on MapQuest from west of Ft. Worth to Dodge City KS. When I downloaded it to the car, I noticed that it changed my routing to Ft. Worth and I-35 up to Ok City, then west on I-40, then north to Dodge City. I had system set to fastest but his route was over 2 hours longer than mine. No way I want to get on I-35 in morning or even during day thru Ok City. So always recheck you’re routing before leaving the house. And carry a paper map to backup.
Then on way home from Lamar, CO it again wanted to rout me onto I-40 to Ok City from Amarillo then I-35 south to Ft. Worth and I-30 to my home. It showed 3 hours extra time for this rout. No way is it trustworthy. I kept checking the routing versus time against my Google Maps. Google always showed a correct time left where GM system was always more time left right up till I got home. So I have no idea why the time is so far off on the GM system even when it is set to fastest rout.
Car ran great; 28.4 mpg on way up (with tail wind); only 26.7 coming back (downhill with headwind). Ran 75 most of way.
Also noted that the transmission temp run up to 220 one section. Did see one stretch of 99 air temperature, mostly in the 80's. Was in paddle shift in 3rd gear for a while in mountains and it ran 200+. I have the convertible.

Last edited by kenrobb; 06-09-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I am still learning my nav system and sofar havn't noticed anything strange. This system works basically like the one Nissan uses.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:15 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

On Star Nav blows...we just got back from Quebec and Roger's screwed us up so we had no data in Canada.

Remembered I had 6 months free on star so I called them. Pretty consistent in being utterly wrong all the time. Worst part is when your off route it tells you, then asks if you want to redo the directions but takes a good 5 minutes to do so. You either park and wait for it or try it again when you are someplace completely different than it expects you to be.

I called On Star because we could not find a gas station in Quebec City, sounds odd but there are not a lot. They told me the nearest one was 250 miles away. After 3 attempts and talking to them for 10 minutes trying to explain to them that it was impossible we drove by one and I hung up.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to find an in car navigation system that doesn't suck. I just use my phone, even when the car I'm driving has nav.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l
I have yet to find an in car navigation system that doesn't suck. I just use my phone, even when the car I'm driving has nav.
Mitsubishi's...seriously, best OEM in-dash navigation system I've used to date.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I say it all the time why isn't GM adopting Google Maps instead of their software.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:46 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd think that GM would team up with garmin or tomtom for their nav engine and maps and not bother with their own. GM can never compete with any nav professionals.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l
The problem I see with the on board units is there are so many custom settings that have to be addressed or the system will not work as desired. Basically the later navigation units are programmed similarly with just a few differences. Example: Nissan has a home destination, with the Corvette I have been using recent destinations to find my home address expeditiously. I have not used OnStar for navigation.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

I elected not to get stock the Navigation just for those reasons. I just throw a Garmin behind the screen. I had the stock Nav. in my C6 and it did not go well.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:55 PM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I would be hapy to have the system simply show the nav from my iPhone on the display and HUD.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:04 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I am still learning my nav system and sofar havn't noticed anything strange. This system works basically like the one Nissan uses.
Didn't know this...

Having used my navigation in my car to get to lots of different places--including all sorts of weird places where movies film--I must say I never check Google or anything to "check on my system" as I trust it impeccably.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 PM
5150 BRD
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by teejake
I would be hapy to have the system simply show the nav from my iPhone on the display and HUD.
That is the way to do it. Can't be that hard to program.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

If the in-dash was a Garmin, I'd rip the thing out. I just had a rental car with a Garmin portable unit in it. That thing was a piece of junk. Would highlight two different roads for the route, had you make an exit and then told you that you were going the wrong direction. Total garbage in my opinion.

On the other hand, I set my C7 Nav to Use Toll Roads - OFF, Use Freeways - OFF, Use Carpool Lanes - OFF, and Avoid Slow Traffic - On after I got off of the Natchez Trace Parkway on my way home from the NCM. Gave me a great route using only state highways - same route I would have taken based on printed maps.

The various Routing Preferences have a profound effect on the routing. Play with them to see what works best for you.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

I actually played with the toll road and freeway off as you said. It did give me a better routing I thought, but the time was still almost 3 hours longer than that Google Map gave me. Must think we are driving 45 instead of speed limit?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:13 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I say it all the time why isn't GM adopting Google Maps instead of their software.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by kenrobb
I actually played with the toll road and freeway off as you said. It did give me a better routing I thought, but the time was still almost 3 hours longer than that Google Map gave me. Must think we are driving 45 instead of speed limit?
Instead of uploading a route, try entering the destination directly into the nav. Also experiment with the Shortest/Fastest options.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:09 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I have a Tom-Tom, a Garmin, a Subaru with NAV, my C7 with NAV, and then there is Google maps on my Android phone. All different. Big PITA!

Get notified of new replies

To 1,900 mile trip observations; GM navigation system stinks.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Instead of uploading a route, try entering the destination directly into the nav. Also experiment with the Shortest/Fastest options.
Done that, timing still way off. Route does change with fastest to quickest, but timing not correct. Mileage correct or about right, so programing error on timing it seems to me.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky
You'd think that GM would team up with garmin or tomtom for their nav engine and maps and not bother with their own. GM can never compete with any nav professionals.
GM doesn't do their own. Unless they have changed vendors recently, like many manufacturers they get their maps and routing engine from Navteq.

Michael
Old 06-09-2014, 11:02 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by teejake
It will be here for the C8. Most manufacturers will end up abandoning the in-dash NAV system since it obsoletes itself too fast.

Quick Reply: 1,900 mile trip observations; GM navigation system stinks.