Courtesy delivery

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Wiscane
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Courtesy delivery

I live in Central Florida and have been reading about local car dealers reluctant to come off MSRP . I am looking to purchase a 2015 convertible to match my 1965 convertible. My question is .... purchasing out of state and then setting up "courtesy delivery" at a local dealer. Has anyone experienced blow back from a local dealer because the car was not purchased from him ? ....but the car was "delivered" by him. What about warranty work ?

Thanks

....... (yes I can spell ! ( cOurtesy)

Last edited by Wiscane; 06-08-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

What I did......Not Florida but...>

Gave my local dealer first right of refusal to match my deal from MacMulkin...While they agreed they would they had NO allocation or any hope of getting me a car (which they were honest about)... We then proceeded to Courtesy delivery discussions which they were more than happy to do. $250 is better than nothing, and they wanted to actually SEE a C7. They had been trough the training and jumped through GM hoops but had yet to receive an allocation. It worked out great for me, but I had established a relationship with them, it's a small town, and I live 1 mile from the old line family dealership. They were happy, I was happy. I can see some dealers being reluctant to do a courtesy delivery depending on how you aproach them..

Warranty work is paid by GM so the service business would just be a Plus to any dealer with common sense..The smart ones will see it as an opportunity to earn your business in the future..

Last edited by Modshack; 06-07-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Wiscane
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks ! ... that makes a lot of sense !

........[QUOTE=Modshack;1587079082]What I did......Not Florida but...>

Gave my local dealer first right of refusal to match my deal from MacMulkin...While they agreed they would they had NO allocation or
Old 06-07-2014, 02:51 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Any dealer can perform warranty work. In most cases, a small local dealer cannot match the price and availability of the big dealers. However, you should still give your local dealer a try. When it's clear they cannot deliver, that is the time to propose courtesy delivery, with the promise of your service business. Your local dealer will of course not be pleased to lose a sale, but they recognize the reality. They blame Chevy, not you. Do what's right for yourself, but have some compassion for the local dealer who lost a sale through no fault of their own, and be thankful they are willing to accept a courtesy delivery, because they don't have to, and some dealers won't. Finally, you should gratefully agree to the courtesy delivery fee of anywhere between $200 and $500, as it is truly a courtesy to you.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a car on order from a dealer 14 hrs away. I have them a list of 5 dealers within 60 miles of me who I felt comfortable letting pdi my Stingray. I did nothing more. My dealer called me the following day to let me know he'd taken care of the arrangement. They are getting $500 out of the deal and are out of allocation anyway. I wouldn't have bought from them anyway because they wanted $5k over sticker on the ones they did receive earlier in the year.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Wiscane
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

WOW .... 5K over MSRP . It seems the SE part of the country is a hard place to get a reasonable deal.

I'm thinking that a Museum delivery might be the way to go . That way you can purchase the car anywhere ....

Originally Posted by Mdm23
I have a car on order from a dealer 14 hrs away. I have them a list of 5 dealers within 60 miles of me who I felt comfortable letting pdi my Stingray. I did nothing more. My dealer called me the following day to let me know he'd taken care of the arrangement. They are getting $500 out of the deal and are out of allocation anyway. I wouldn't have bought from them anyway because they wanted $5k over sticker on the ones they did receive earlier in the year.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:30 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiscane
WOW .... 5K over MSRP . It seems the SE part of the country is a hard place to get a reasonable deal.

I'm thinking that a Museum delivery might be the way to go . That way you can purchase the car anywhere ....
7500-10k depending on where you go here in vegas
Old 06-07-2014, 05:51 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

No reasonable deals in Southern CA. Some are asking $10k over MSRP and selling them. Those that are willing to do a courtesy delivery want a $1000. I was lucky to find one at $300 then he raised it to $500 at the same time GM raised the C7 MSRP. Mine was delivered on May 23.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

You definitely have to be willing to order this car from out of state.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

That's why I'm doing courtesy delivery. It's only $500 and the car will be dropped at a dealer 20 mins from my house. The museum is a farther drive than I want to put on the car all at once. And museum delivery costs more.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:38 PM
mfear
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't try to coordinate the courtesy delivery yourself, let the dealer do it.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Wiscane
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks EVERYONE ... for the great tips

Originally Posted by mfear
Don't try to coordinate the courtesy delivery yourself, let the dealer do it.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I could be wrong on this----I thought a dealer needed to have a someone trained to service the C7 and a small dealer might not have someone like that since they sold no C7s.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I could be wrong on this----I thought a dealer needed to have a someone trained to service the C7 and a small dealer might not have someone like that since they sold no C7s.
My dealer had already sent someone to school for the C7 so they could get themselves set up for future business. Shortly after my delivery they were awarded their first allocation and have now gotten the first car in for stock..

Last edited by Modshack; 06-08-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:11 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Small word of caution here: If you are doing courtesy delivery from a forum dealer, you are likely buying the car sight unseen. If you have been reading this forum, you are aware that you have probably at least a 50% chance of getting a car with a bad paint job. GM will not stand behind you on this. If you are hrs or miles from the selling dealer, it may not be practical for them to assist you either. Unless you can inspect the car prior to giving them your $, be mindful of the risk...good luck!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Wiscane
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by beepster
Small word of caution here: If you are doing courtesy delivery from a forum dealer, you are likely buying the car sight unseen. If you have been reading this forum, you are aware that you have probably at least a 50% chance of getting a car with a bad paint job. GM will not stand behind you on this. If you are hrs or miles from the selling dealer, it may not be practical for them to assist you either. Unless you can inspect the car prior to giving them your $, be mindful of the risk...good luck!

...... How does this effect Museum delivery ??? The car is not seen before delivery ! .....or Are the cars delivered by the Museum better prepped ????
Old 06-08-2014, 11:12 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Have not done museum delivery but some on here say the cars get a little special attention so the car may be subjected to better QC...I know from experience though that bad orange peel is considered "standard" by GM...
Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Originally Posted by beepster
Sometimes the risk must be taken. If you want a Z51 you'll likely have to broaden your horizons. I placed my order on 5/27 at supplier price and have a TPW already! I don't know a dealer in this entire region that could've made that happen. I'd say 50% is a little high on the bad paint jobs too. I guess I'll just have to see when it gets here.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:04 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdm23
Sometimes the risk must be taken. If you want a Z51 you'll likely have to broaden your horizons. I placed my order on 5/27 at supplier price and have a TPW already! I don't know a dealer in this entire region that could've made that happen. I'd say 50% is a little high on the bad paint jobs too. I guess I'll just have to see when it gets here.
Also, the definition of a "bad" paint job is subjective at best. Where, exactly, is the line between "bad" and not bad?

Or, to look at it another way, pick your poison. Buy sight unseen directly from factory, or wait forever, or pay far more for a car that's not exactly what you want, been sitting around a dealer's lot, and has some miles on the odometer. I'll take sight unseen straight from factory, equipped exactly how I want, at a mega discount.

Last edited by SASprof; 06-08-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Courtesy delivery

Quick Reply: Courtesy delivery