Sponsored by:

MSRP still?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Default MSRP still?

I see the model year coming to a close and orders for the 2015 Corvette will soon be taking place. Dealers are offering $3,000 or more off MSRP for your business.
But then, I look at some of the dealers here and elsewhere and they are still in MSRP mode and act like they are doing me a favor to sell me a C7 for not a penny over MSRP (plus the hidden dealer fees). You gotta be kidding me with the MSRP stuff. Is anybody stupid enough to pay bust out MSRP for a car that is about to be 1 year old?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Sure...a person who wants the car, des not follow forums and is in a town that still has good demand, in others words, the other 90% of the buying public. Many places in s fla are still at MSRP.

The world does not revolve around the forums.....
Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Glen e
Sure...a person who wants the car, des not follow forums and is in a town that still has good demand, in others words, the other 90% of the buying public. Many places in s fla are still at MSRP.

Well said Glen. The majority of Vette owners and those looking to buy one of any generation aren't on this or any other Vette forum.

If a dealer has one that matches what you want and you can get it immediately instead of ordering one and waiting, that's worth a few thousand $ for many people.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Glen e

And Z51's are still relatively hard to find. Base cars have been discounted $2-3k (more for employee or supplier pricing...which the vast majority of us don't qualify for), but I don't think Z51's have seen such healthy discounts.
S.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Here in Mpls/St.Paul metro (3.5 million population) there are only 34 cars on the dealer lots currently when you check the dealer inventory link. The 4 dealers I contacted were all MSRP on a factory order or instock. One did come back after... I had placed my order with Kerbeck for supplier pricing and would do it....but too late, my deal was done.
Rest assured they will sell them all at MSRP. Each of those 4 I visited mentioned selling cars to out of state buyers who had used locators to find them. If the locals do grab them fast the out of state buyers will and pay to have them hauled.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

So much for the predicted fire sales on C7's this spring/summer. It's now moving into the '15 model year, inventory is relatively low and demand is still high.
S.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Snorman
So much for the predicted fire sales on C7's this spring/summer. It's now moving into the '15 model year, inventory is relatively low and demand is still high.
S.
the press has really helped this happen...it permeated even main stream mags that his was a great car and priced out of this world compared t others...it's kept demand high...oh and it looks the way to looks...a few around town and people go lookin for it...
Old 06-04-2014, 11:30 PM
redshift1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 427bob
I see the model year coming to a close and orders for the 2015 Corvette will soon be taking place. Dealers are offering $3,000 or more off MSRP for your business.
But then, I look at some of the dealers here and elsewhere and they are still in MSRP mode and act like they are doing me a favor to sell me a C7 for not a penny over MSRP (plus the hidden dealer fees). You gotta be kidding me with the MSRP stuff. Is anybody stupid enough to pay bust out MSRP for a car that is about to be 1 year old?
Corvette sales fell by 200 in May when Chevy sales jumped and special pricing was introduced for the Corvette. These cars are beautiful but the saturation point must be getting close. Seems most are getting below MSRP right now especially Verts. The exception is of course California where the lot's are full of 80K Corvettes.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:33 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I got supplier price on my Z51. $6k off, but I know that isn't the norm. There are dealers out there willing to do it, but they are few. Les Stanford is the best one to go to if you're eligible for discounts. I feel very fortunate to have found one at this price and this late in the game. Ordered 5/27. Went 3000 today.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redshift1
Corvette sales fell by 200 in May when Chevy sales jumped and special pricing was introduced for the Corvette. These cars are beautiful but the saturation point must be getting close. Seems most are getting below MSRP right now especially Verts. The exception is of course California where the lot's are full of 80K Corvettes.
200 cars is about a 5% blip. It's not a trend, and there is no possible way you can correlate it with pricing or anything else. If they sell 3600 units in June, what then?
S.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think that all of the talk of the 2015 MY may cause 2014 MY orders to slow somewhat. As Snorman mentioned, the z51 is still somewhat hard to come by - many are out of orders and you're somewhat relegated to just buying one off a lot if you can find one that is both a z51 and has the features you were looking for.

The discounts have mostly been to the non-z51 car, as dealers were configuring and ordering them for their lots so as not to pass up an allocation while the z51 was on constraint
Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 AM
redshift1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
200 cars is about a 5% blip. It's not a trend, and there is no possible way you can correlate it with pricing or anything else. If they sell 3600 units in June, what then?
S.
Actually if you follow the monthly numbers on GOOD CAR BAD CAR the spikes correlate nicely with special incentive offers (Porsche 2013). Granted for any meaningful statistical significance the data base would need a few more months for the Stingray

avg. monthly sales in 2014 = 3004

standard deviation = 541

January and February were comparatively low in sales.

Guessing ahead the 2014 sales will average 3000-3500 per month with a STD of 250-300.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:39 AM
hankman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

i live in southern calif ....no lots even have them...seen two in my town simivalley
Old 06-05-2014, 07:15 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me
The discounts have mostly been to the non-z51 car, as dealers were configuring and ordering them for their lots so as not to pass up an allocation while the z51 was on constraint
That was true for coupes and convertibles early in 2014, but now the only discounts seem to be on base convertibles that dealers have had to order more of than they wanted to.

My bet is that for those that think they will just walk into their dealer, order a 2015 and expect it to be delivered in September they will be sorely disappointed. In talking to my local dealer and a couple of the big forum dealers, most have 2-3 months of orders on deposit already; so if you order now, you won't see your car until at least Thanksgiving. For those not down south, that means you won't be driving a Stingray until Spring 2015.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:29 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
That was true for coupes and convertibles early in 2014, but now the only discounts seem to be on base convertibles that dealers have had to order more of than they wanted to.

My bet is that for those that think they will just walk into their dealer, order a 2015 and expect it to be delivered in September they will be sorely disappointed. In talking to my local dealer and a couple of the big forum dealers, most have 2-3 months of orders on deposit already; so if you order now, you won't see your car until at least Thanksgiving. For those not down south, that means you won't be driving a Stingray until Spring 2015.
And, we still don't know what the 2015 MSRP will be. Supply and the high demand, especially for the Z51, will probably dictate a significant price increase. The smart money jumped in EARLY on the C7.

C7's will sell at a discount, someday, but I would bet it won't happen until closer to the end of the 2015 model year.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:11 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

There not Gold !

I can wait.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:08 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt that you'll see the needle move much on the '14 prices with such high demand and low supply going through the beginning of summer. Maybe at the large volume dealerships with a large number of cars sitting on the lot, but most dealerships are lucky to have even one and locals will gobble them up at some point or another. Saturation will occur at some point and you'll see things die down and more flexibility on pricing, but it doesn't look like it'll happen this model year, and may not at this rate on the 2015s, either. I'm sure that both GM and the dealerships are quite happy about this and hope that it stays the norm as long as possible. I'd be surprised if it lasts more than a year or two though.

Get notified of new replies

To MSRP still?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The few changes coming on the 2015 would not entice me to pay extra for the same car. The price increase in April benefits the prior purchasers, depreciation rates will reflect this increase. All considered I am about four to five thousand dollars ahead and get to drive the C7 all summer.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

Here's a lesson from Business School that is completely true

"The Customer Sets the Selling Price, not the seller"

I have found this to be 100% true, especially with cars. This is also why GM raised the price a few months ago...customers demanded it.

Are you saying to yourself "WTF is this jack-wagon saying, I never asked for a price increase" Maybe you specifically did not ask, but every last customer paying the higher price did. By their actions, customers are saying "yes, this is worth what you have priced it at and I want one"

I could go on and on about this stuff, but it is amazing how the laws of supply & demand play out like a text book on these cars.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 AM
john m
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 66 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'06

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
Here's a lesson from Business School that is completely true

"The Customer Sets the Selling Price, not the seller"

I have found this to be 100% true, especially with cars. This is also why GM raised the price a few months ago...customers demanded it.

Are you saying to yourself "WTF is this jack-wagon saying, I never asked for a price increase" Maybe you specifically did not ask, but every last customer paying the higher price did. By their actions, customers are saying "yes, this is worth what you have priced it at and I want one"

I could go on and on about this stuff, but it is amazing how the laws of supply & demand play out like a text book on these cars.
well said.... all of the wait lists and pre-ordering frenzy for the Z06 will certainly affect the price. GM is watching closely and waiting to announce the price. And why shouldn't they? That's the free market system. God Bless

Quick Reply: MSRP still?