Rgeezer
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I like the continuity the chrome provides with the C7's ancestors:

Old 06-05-2014, 08:47 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I didn't really notice it stick out that much. Then I kinda started to dislike it and thought that I might black it out. But now, i'm not so sure, I may just leave it stock. It's just one of those things I guess. I don't think that i'd do carbon fiber, it'd probably be this plasti-dip stuff people are talking about for me since it sounds like it's removable (not sure how difficult that will be and if it'll be back to good as new or not). All black across the front definitely doesn't look bad with all of the black accents that the car has.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I put carbon flash tape over mine

Old 06-05-2014, 09:12 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,640 Likes on 6,640 Posts

Originally Posted by leadville1
At first before I got the car I really thought it looked stupid and wanted to cover it up with black, then I did a very scientific poll and asked everybody that looked at the car what they thought.

Universally I didn't have one person tell me they didn't like it. Then I started to look at it more and decided it really was a rather nice accent piece on the car and I didn't hate it. I wouldn't say it is my favorite feature but I do think it breaks up the front of the car some and gives it a little more personality.

Honestly I am waiting for ACS to release their grill and that will probably be what I install but I think for now I am leaving my car with the braces alone.
As Ricky Nelson says in “Garden Party,” “See you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.” Having seen both, it seems to me to depend on the car color as which looks best. In addition with the chrome wing logo on the hood, they complement each other. Graying out the recessed logo does not look good on some colors. There are also the chrome Stingrays on the sides.
Even left a part of the side chrome strip on my ’41 Ford Opera coupe on my otherwise, “nosed,” “decked,” filled grill, fender parking lights removed, etc primed look of 1960!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That silver bar hurts my eyes. It so doesn't belong there. Don't you kinda find it interesting that it "mysteriously dissapeared on the new ZO6???? I think that GM kinda figured out also that it looks so out of place but they are not going to admit it.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:35 AM
brandin10
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is getting Plati Dipped right now. Just in between coats!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I... asked everybody that looked at the car what they thought.
who cares what everyone else thinks???

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
drive your car...not the car someone else says they like.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I have no problem with the chrome grill strip. Even if I didn't like it, I would leave it alone, as I believe in keeping the car 100% original. To each their own!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:21 PM
rdrnr
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=Supersonic 427;1587063682]I have no problem with the chrome grill strip. Even if I didn't like it, I would leave it alone, as I believe in keeping the car 100% original. To each their own!

Old 06-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Rgeezer

I wasn't sure about the chrome strip until I read that the designers put it there to pay homage to the original Stingrays with their chrome bumpers. Since I'm also a C3 fan, I am going to leave mine the way it is.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:08 PM
10SECONDS
Intermediate

At first before I got the car I really thought it looked stupid and wanted to cover it up with black, then I did a very scientific poll and asked everybody that looked at the car what they thought.

Universally I didn't have one person tell me they didn't like it. Then I started to look at it more and decided it really was a rather nice accent piece on the car and I didn't hate it. I wouldn't say it is my favorite feature but I do think it breaks up the front of the car some and gives it a little more personality.

Honestly I am waiting for ACS to release their grill and that will probably be what I install but I think for now I am leaving my car with the braces alone.
I like the chrome strip with the chrome wheels. If I had black wheels, I would probably change it. I also agree that it looks better when the front plate is attached.
Attached Images   
Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Rgeezer

Old 06-05-2014, 01:33 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
I put carbon flash tape over mine

^ smart man Looks good.

Originally Posted by Patriot77
That silver bar hurts my eyes. It so doesn't belong there. Don't you kinda find it interesting that it "mysteriously dissapeared on the new ZO6???? I think that GM kinda figured out also that it looks so out of place but they are not going to admit it.
and GM is now offering the option to get the C7 with the emblems blacked out... A modern sports car looks better with black or carbon trim... Save the chrome for the Caddy cars.

Originally Posted by brandin10
Mine is getting Plati Dipped right now. Just in between coats!
Should look good. ... share a pic when you get done.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:13 PM
brentano
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at a C7 across the intersection from me at a red light, all I could think about was 'Get that silly grin off your face". On a few colors it may work okay such as white.
Attached Images   
Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I'm with Jags.....

A car buddy of mine told me about the "retainer" and that was all it took for me to get some Carbon Fiber to cover it up.

We do have a Vendor here on CorvetteForum who makes a chrome trim ring that goes around the perimiter of the grill. I considered getting that too. You guys might want to seek that out and then make your determination.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzardz_vette
I wasn't sure about the chrome strip until I read that the designers put it there to pay homage to the original Stingrays with their chrome bumpers. Since I'm also a C3 fan, I am going to leave mine the way it is.
I think that statement about the designers adding the chrome strip to pay homage, originated here on the forum. The designers added the strip to break up the grill area, period. I think it is ok.

Get notified of new replies

To I've changed my opinion on the grill braces

Old 06-07-2014, 10:59 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Going to black out the badges
Old 06-08-2014, 02:35 AM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

Chrome strip! We don't need no stinking chrome strip!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 AM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

I'm leaning back toward covering it up now again lol. Maybe I'll try some sort of tape solution first or see who on here sells something that works well. I definitely want something I can undo should I choose to in case it peels or starts to look ugly. I'm usually someone who keeps cars stock except for the stereo equipment, but this is hardly a major modification and I assume easily reversible as long as I'm not painting (and I won't be!).

I do agree that with a license plate it seems to break it up, and it's funny because I initially was very happy that I didn't need a front plate because I thought it would look so bad on this car, as it does on most cars but especially on this one.

If anyone has suggestions as to the best way to tape it out, or which forum vendor they used if they did please let me know! (I'll also search the forum, too when my car comes in to see what I can find).

Quick Reply: I've changed my opinion on the grill braces