Sponsored by:

Would you buy a hybrid Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Marioshi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, and here is why:

The Corvette has offered roughly the same formula since its inception. I don't have interest in a Corvette that doesn't follow that formula.

Would I buy some other performance car with a hybrid system? Sure, but only if it was truly a performance benefit and not some lame attempt to meet emissions requirements.

In my mind, hybrid systems only stand to add weight to cars. Weight is the enemy of performance.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:02 PM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

NO.

I want an all electric Vette!

Hybrids are mostly a waste of time. They add complexity, weight and annoyance for not much gain. I don't want two redundant powertrains, each with its own maintenance problems. I want a clean, simple electric drivetrain, a la Tesla. With solar panels on my roof, fuel would be very cheap. That's real fuel economy. And keep the weight down!

The Tesla p85 does 0-60 in about 4.2s with its 4600lb curb weight. Imagine what that would do in a 3300lb sports car!

Anything above 3300lb is not as much fun to drive - for me. Wish the engineers on the Vette were a little more serious about weight reduction. An all electric drivetrain and chassis would be a clean sheet that might offer the opportunity for serious weight reduction.

I MIGHT consider a hybrid if the weight was no more than the c7's weight (which is already heavy), the interior was still as practical, the price wasn't much more, and it came with a 100k warranty. Good luck. Otherwise... I don't see the point.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:21 PM
ManuelCarrillo3
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remember this April Fools Joke We Did?

Four-Banger Voltec Powertrain Coming to 2016 Corvette

Blame CAFE regulations, blame the EPA, blame Satan. Regardless of whom you choose to blame, your chosen scapegoat will be unable to make this news any easier to digest, so here it goes: the 2016 Corvette is getting the Voltec powertrain added to its options list, and it will be called the Corvette E-REV.

Hold that heart attack — you’ll still be able to get a 2016 Corvette powered by 6.2 liters of American V8 muscle … you’ll just have a greener option added to the order sheet.

Okay, now you can have your heart attack.

Read more on the Corvette Forum blog.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 PM
vetintheblood
Burning Brakes

Location: Beavercreek Ohio Currently own: 1958 Silver Blue Corvette
Received 757 Likes on 253 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hell yes I would buy a hybrid Vette - even all electric!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

No.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Kruegmeister
Not for me.
I need that V8 Growl.
Coulda had a V8!!!

I'm sure that V8 growl can be piped in (ask BMW). Unfortunately those on the outside of the car don't get to hear it.

On a side note. I go to the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb yearly and there are quiet a few all-electric cars that turn in great times. Of course they have little beepers install so that you can hear them coming.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
No, and here is why:

The Corvette has offered roughly the same formula since its inception. I don't have interest in a Corvette that doesn't follow that formula.
With that philosophy we would all still be driving Blue Flame 6s.

I wouldn't hesitate buying a hybrid or all electric Corvette if the styling was still great and the performance was equivalent to the C7.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:36 PM
samotlietuvis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, in a heartbeat, and that's the only way I will buy a corvette again. No harmonic balancer, no starter, no generator, no 12V battery, electric water pump, electric ac, smaller gas tank, much smaller engine (V6 DI) with smaller transmission and 1 pipe exhaust. Electric motor up front for 4 wheel drive, battery in the back for 50-50 weight balance. No we are talking

Last edited by samotlietuvis; 06-04-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:51 PM
TacDoc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes
Old 06-05-2014, 01:17 AM
MisterMe
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Well, at this point, they almost are going to have to go in this direction, if they want to keep the Corvette in the market it is in. Face it, the price of gas is not going to do anything but rise. ...
Actually, this is completely untrue. Take a look at actual fuel prices over the past four years or so. The price of fuel tends to swing up and down over the course of year, but the overall trend for the last several years a slow trend down.

That is correct. Fuel prices are slowly dropping as an overall trend. Fuel prices are not why GM is going to convert the Corvette [and much of the rest of its fleet] to some kind of electric drive. There are three major reasons:
  1. Laws across the industrialized world mandate substantially reduced carbon emissions. The United States does not have such limits on carbon, but GM wants to sell the Corvette in countries that do. It will be prevented from doing so if the Corvette remains exclusively ICE.
  2. The United States does have dramatically increased fuel economy standards coming down the pike. GM and its competitors helped draft these standards. The Corvette may come in below the mandated 54 mpg CAFE average, but it cannot come in much below that. With electric power, Corvette won't have to beg Cruze and Spark for help. To the contrary, it will do its part to met the new CAFE fuel economy standard while increasing performance.
  3. This is the way that the top line European exotic cars are going. They started down this road to meet European carbon emission standards. Corvette will follow suite or die. Americans with money will not buy a Corvette unless it makes an honest attempt to keep pace with the imported competition.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes. Absolutely I would.

I have a C7 and an electric car. If I could have an electric C7, I would. I love driving both my cars. So a hybrid Corvette would be a fantastic step in the right direction.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:56 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterMe
Actually, this is completely untrue. Take a look at actual fuel prices over the past four years or so. The price of fuel tends to swing up and down over the course of year, but the overall trend for the last several years a slow trend down.

That is correct. Fuel prices are slowly dropping as an overall trend. Fuel prices are not why GM is going to convert the Corvette [and much of the rest of its fleet] to some kind of electric drive. There are three major reasons:
  1. Laws across the industrialized world mandate substantially reduced carbon emissions. The United States does not have such limits on carbon, but GM wants to sell the Corvette in countries that do. It will be prevented from doing so if the Corvette remains exclusively ICE.
  2. The United States does have dramatically increased fuel economy standards coming down the pike. GM and its competitors helped draft these standards. The Corvette may come in below the mandated 54 mpg CAFE average, but it cannot come in much below that. With electric power, Corvette won't have to beg Cruze and Spark for help. To the contrary, it will do its part to met the new CAFE fuel economy standard while increasing performance.
  3. This is the way that the top line European exotic cars are going. They started down this road to meet European carbon emission standards. Corvette will follow suite or die. Americans with money will not buy a Corvette unless it makes an honest attempt to keep pace with the imported competition.
Okay, if you say so...

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Lea...TE_NUS_DPG&f=W

Unless they posted this upside down, I'd say that line continues to the north, generally speaking.

I do agree with the rest of your points, however.

There is a positive to all of this. Just look 10 years back. The thought of a 600+ HP car that could drive you to work everyday, and be reasonably comfortable and affordable to drive in traffic, was, well, a thought. Today, it's becoming almost a standard in high end performance.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Yes. Absolutely I would.

I have a C7 and an electric car. If I could have an electric C7, I would. I love driving both my cars. So a hybrid Corvette would be a fantastic step in the right direction.
Great, I am not the only one. I have a Leaf and C7 convertible.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by steel_3d
NO.

I want an all electric Vette!

Hybrids are mostly a waste of time. They add complexity, weight and annoyance for not much gain. I don't want two redundant powertrains, each with its own maintenance problems. I want a clean, simple electric drivetrain, a la Tesla. With solar panels on my roof, fuel would be very cheap. That's real fuel economy. And keep the weight down!

The Tesla p85 does 0-60 in about 4.2s with its 4600lb curb weight. Imagine what that would do in a 3300lb sports car!

Anything above 3300lb is not as much fun to drive - for me. Wish the engineers on the Vette were a little more serious about weight reduction. An all electric drivetrain and chassis would be a clean sheet that might offer the opportunity for serious weight reduction.

I MIGHT consider a hybrid if the weight was no more than the c7's weight (which is already heavy), the interior was still as practical, the price wasn't much more, and it came with a 100k warranty. Good luck. Otherwise... I don't see the point.
I drive my vett on long trips don't live in the land of nuts. I want to be able to go with out being tether to an cord. I hope when this admin si up in 2 years the greenies just die out and go away. They've created more problems than all the world wars.
z51vett
Doug
Old 06-05-2014, 09:44 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
would you daily drive a car with no airbags, abs, crumple zones, or seat belts with a metal dash, bias ply tires, leaf springs, drum brakes, and a carburator instead of fuel injection?
Some people do just that.

Whether it's they can't afford, or don't want, a new car payment, or they like 'real' old school muscle cars, or the ease with which they can tinker under the hood, (and with the space under the hood to to do so)... the list of reasons goes on.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:54 AM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Old 06-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

No, unless they found a way to keep the V8 while adding the electric component and keep the weight down.

Half the reason you/I buy a car like the vette is for the noise it makes and I don't want fake noise like BMW.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you buy a hybrid Corvette?

Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 AM
corvettesa
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hybrid corvette

Originally Posted by TKay
Never going to happen. There is no room for anything in a vet, much less a bunch of batteries.
Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Well, at this point, they almost are going to have to go in this direction, if they want to keep the Corvette in the market it is in. Face it, the price of gas is not going to do anything but rise. There's not going to be any new discovery, drilling technology, or anything in the near future that is going to change that. So, if they still want to sell the Corvette to the masses, it will have to be econimical enough to be a daily driver, period. If they don't, the Corvette will become a low volume niche car that only a few will be able afford, or at least afford to drive regularly.

However, I am not a big fan of hybrid, or electric technology at this point. I just think in the long term, it's going to create more problems than it solves.
You are correct. Considering the rising gas prices and government MPG requirements I tend to believe within 25 years or so all performance cars will be at least hybrid.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by aj98
Some people do just that.

Whether it's they can't afford, or don't want, a new car payment, or they like 'real' old school muscle cars, or the ease with which they can tinker under the hood, (and with the space under the hood to to do so)... the list of reasons goes on.
Yeah and some people jump off buildings. My question was does HE do it, not some people. By the way, who are these people? Names? Pictures? Sources? What do you daily drive?
Old 06-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I wouldn't say no. I like the Tesla and their business format.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a hybrid Corvette?