C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone bypass the navigation to watch videos?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:45 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Rowboat, obviously watching a video while driving would not be in anyone's best interest. I would request that you rethink that.

Jerry, I understand your response, but note that name calling will NOT be tolerated on CorvetteForum.

Consider this a "Note to Self" and a friendly warning. I'm confident you won't do this going forward.
You're right, of course, and I'll offer my apology to the OP.

Just a week or two ago I was forced to slam on my brakes and veer halfway off the road, to narrowly avoid a collision in my C5, because a fellow driver was so engaged in a phone call that he neglected to yield, and did a left turn right in front of me when I had the right of way. Fortunately ONE of us WAS paying attention to driving and I managed to avoid a wreck. I haven't had one in over 40 years. I give my complete attention to driving. It's inherently a dangerous business.

I see people texting, putting on makeup, eating, drinking .. I've seen people read newspapers and mess with their phones .. all while driving a couple of tons of steel at 40-50 mph in traffic. I've seen people cross the center line, drive onto the shoulder, tailgate, ignore traffic lights and do any number of other dumb things because they believe that their individual 'right' to do as they please takes precedence over the rights of ALL of us to drive in safety.

When a split second decision may become necessary at any moment, I plead that all drivers put all of their attention on the road, on the situation, on the traffic, on the road conditions .. People are dying out there, needlessly.

It's a sore point for me. Sorry for getting personal.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Watching a video while driving-batting .999 is not good enough-I hope GM reads this and eliminates the ability for the driver to watch a video on his nav screen while the car is moving.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Jerry, I totally understand your point. I see that all the time too. It's VERY frustrating.

And thank you for understanding my point about the forum language. I appreciate your cooperation!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Default video

i feel you are wrong that, the risk is yours. if your watching a video and kill somebody or get into an accident and injure someone there is no risk to anybody else. grow up! drive the car, pay attention and be responsible!!!! if you don't like these answers don't post questions like this.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:00 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

the screen is at a really bad angle for the passenger to watch unless they are 1/2way into your lap...

THat aside, video in the front is illegal in VA.

There are a couple videos on my ipod - the audio portion will play w/o issue, but the video does not appear, running or parked.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:01 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Maybe I should start a new thread but related to the discussion is the question of why GM puts anything related to using a phone while driving on the Infotainment screen. I know they have provisions for hands free talking but the driver must still concentrate on the call rather than on the driving, which is not good.

The navigation in itself takes your mind off driving.

In my opinion GM missed out on having a way to turn off the screen completely, only leaving the crossed flags showing like you could in the C6. The clock they have looks out of place.

Sometimes it's just nice to drive and experience the car without distraction.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Monaco335
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spiike32
I had a screen bypass on my 335i. tvandnav2go.com and navtv are two companies that make bypasses so you can hook up a video source. I would contact them.

I would check compatibility for this for the c7.
http://tvandnav2go.com/cadillac/64-c...nterface-.html

mp3car.com can also give you some resources but they're more about full blown car computers.

There are a lot of unproductive posts in this thread. It's not a secret... just help the guy out and let him make his own decisions. What's the point of Crawler's "I wont disclose" nonsense... just dont post at all then instead of making the OP feel bad.
Actually what would be really cool is a HUD bypass so you can watch a movie on the windshield.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:15 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

I had the "Video In Motion" module added to my Mercedes 2 years ago when I got the car. I got the wiring harness off of ebay for under 200.00. I just wanted the option for my passengers to watch a movie. I NEVER watch it while driving for obvious reasons, the best attribute about it is the ability to have my passenger update NAV destinations as we are driving. I agree with many of these comments that the pleasure of driving the car far outweighs the distraction that can be caused by being distracted by the screen. Hope these opinions help you and your decision.
Best,
B.

Last edited by BPhillyc8; 06-02-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:37 PM
rsl2715
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

You are in Houston,I am in Dallas. My hope is that you will NEVER drive in Dallas area. What the hell are you thinking?One of the most outrages threads i have seen.R
Old 06-02-2014, 12:44 PM
RowboatLS3
Instructor

Thanks to the ones that helped with my question. Jerry no offense taken. And to the ones that are still posting negative comments, please keep them to yourself.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:45 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by fireinv38
i feel you are wrong that, the risk is yours. if your watching a video and kill somebody or get into an accident and injure someone there is no risk to anybody else. grow up! drive the car, pay attention and be responsible!!!! if you don't like these answers don't post questions like this.
Exactly right.
In our litigious society, I can only imagine the lawsuits GM would have leveled at them even if someone was able to successfully over-ride the "video on the move" lock out. That the OP considers driving and watching a video as multi-tasking is downright scary.

Jimmy
Old 06-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Question; if he willfully modified the system to be able to play a video while driving became distracted and caused an incident resulting in a death, what's the worse he could be charged with? Seems as if sometime type of Homicide could be applied.
Originally Posted by jimmyb
Exactly right.
In our litigious society, I can only imagine the lawsuits GM would have leveled at them even if someone was able to successfully over-ride the "video on the move" lock out. That the OP considers driving and watching a video as multi-tasking is downright scary.

Jimmy
Old 06-02-2014, 03:02 PM
RowboatLS3
Instructor

Wow i think alot of yall got carried away with just a simple question. Sorry I even came onto the forum to ask for some help. Definetly not doing this again because of all the useless respones i have gotten. Carry on with your excuses people
Old 06-02-2014, 03:27 PM
ed1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RowboatLS3
Wow i think alot of yall got carried away with just a simple question. Sorry I even came onto the forum to ask for some help. Definetly not doing this again because of all the useless respones i have gotten. Carry on with your excuses people
While I don't have a step by step guide. This mod always revolve around tricking the system into thinking it is parked with the e-brake engaged. I don't recommend watching TV and driving.

However, as a person you takes regular cross country road trips. I will tell you that in the past I have put on a movie or standup comedy and LISTENED to it as it plays. It is always a nice break to the radio and music. Its always something I have seen/heard before so I can just listen to it and follow along.

I can tell some of you guys don't drive long distance on the regular. In the city keep your mind of the road but on I-10 in west Texas at 2am pop on a movie if you wish.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:34 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow i think alot of yall got carried away with just a simple question. Sorry I even came onto the forum to ask for some help. Definetly not doing this again because of all the useless respones i have gotten.
When you want help with a project that amounts to premeditated carelessness, you can expect answers you don't like. Would you at least be willing to admit that watching videos while driving is illegal in some states, and not a good idea in any state?

Carry on with your excuses people
I'd like to hear your excuses after you crash while watching videos. In North Carolina you'd probably get off with probation for killing somebody that way, since death by motor vehicle is only a misdemeanor. Unless the Highway Patrol finds this thread and talks the prosecutor into charging you with felony manslaughter. Good luck with your insurance company too.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:35 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There could be many reasons to show "video" on the nav screen. One would be a FLIR, or even regular cameras up front that face the side for coming out of blind alleys, for example (a la BMW). Or just be able to display the rear view backup camera while driving when you have too many things in the back. Or how about mirroring the smartphones screen so you could use, for example, the Waze app. Even having the screen show video for the passenger is valid reason.

You don't have to jump to conclusions and assume the worst.

Cheers.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:45 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ersin
There could be many reasons to show "video" on the nav screen. One would be a FLIR, or even regular cameras up front that face the side for coming out of blind alleys, for example (a la BMW). Or just be able to display the rear view backup camera while driving when you have too many things in the back. Or how about mirroring the smartphones screen so you could use, for example, the Waze app.
Because those are ways of helping the driver NOT crash. Here's the North Carolina statute on video displays:

§ 20-136.1. Location of television, computer, or video players, monitors, and screens.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle upon a public street or highway or public vehicular area while viewing any television, computer, or video player which is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, and which is visible to the driver while operating the motor vehicle. This section does not apply to the use of global positioning systems; turn-by-turn navigation displays or similar navigation devices; factory-installed or aftermarket global positioning systems or wireless communications devices used to transmit or receive data as part of a digital dispatch system; equipment that displays audio system information, functions, or controls, or weather, traffic, and safety information; vehicle safety or equipment information; or image displays that enhance the driver's view in any direction, inside or outside of the vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law enforcement or emergency personnel while in the performance of their official duties, or to the operator of a vehicle that is lawfully parked or stopped. (1949, c. 583, s. 4; 2009-376, s. 13.)
I remember from police training in 2005 that this only forbade "television screen in view of the driver" which left a loophole for any other video display that wasn't a TV, but they didn't get around to updating the statute until 2009.

Even having the screen show video for the passenger is valid reason.

You don't have to jump to conclusions and assume the worst.

Cheers.
No it's not a valid reason if it's within the driver's view while driving. It's not "assume the worst," it's "the driver's right to watch entertainment videos while driving does not exceed anybody else's right not to be crashed into."

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone bypass the navigation to watch videos?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:04 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
No it's not a valid reason if it's within the driver's view while driving.
According to the law. You and the politicians are assuming that if its in view the driver will watch it and not pay attention to the road.

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
It's not "assume the worst," it's "the driver's right to watch entertainment videos while driving does not exceed anybody else's right not to be crashed into."
I think the OP was a little frustrated and invoked the "my rights" post to basically to say to everyone, "get lost, I have my reasons". I didn't take it that the OP was actually going to watch a TV show while driving. But everyone else did.

Frankly, when I get a Vette I'd like to know how to tap into the video for the reasons I stated above. I really don't care to watch shows. However, if you've ever brought your wife to the grocery store for just a "couple" items, and end up having to wait an hour and a half for her, you would really appreciate the ability to watch something out in the car while she's shopping.

Cheers.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:14 PM
John C.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to see if anyone has bypassed their navigation to watch music videos while driving. I want to be able to play videos on the screen. Has anyone done this yet? Thanks
Great post! I'm going to add it our The 21 Dumbest Corvette Questions post!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...tte-questions/
Old 06-02-2014, 04:37 PM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ersin
I think the OP was a little frustrated and invoked the "my rights" post to basically to say to everyone, "get lost, I have my reasons". I didn't take it that the OP was actually going to watch a TV show while driving. But everyone else did.

Frankly, when I get a Vette I'd like to know how to tap into the video for the reasons I stated above. I really don't care to watch shows. However, if you've ever brought your wife to the grocery store for just a "couple" items, and end up having to wait an hour and a half for her, you would really appreciate the ability to watch something out in the car while she's shopping.

Cheers.
The original post was:

I want to see if anyone has bypassed their navigation to watch music videos while driving. I want to be able to play videos on the screen. Has anyone done this yet? Thanks

I don't think anyone objects to being able to watch a video while the car is parked. That would be great.

Quick Reply: Anyone bypass the navigation to watch videos?