C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone that bought a C7 out of state, had it delivered or flew and drove it home

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:04 AM
jerryc610
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone that bought a C7 out of state, had it delivered or flew and drove it home

sorry my english writing skills are not the best lol, well I just bought a new c7 z51 2lt in Oh oregon, My question is, I'm not sure if i should have it delivered to my state of Ca or fly to OH and drive it back, I was quoted enclosed trailer shipping for 1900 wow thats allot, is it cheaper just flying there and driving it back home never did a cross country drive like that just not sure if its safe from oh to southern California seems like it would take me 3 days 1/2 i believe

Last edited by jerryc610; 06-01-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:07 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryc610
i just bought a new c7 z51 2lt, really excited, My question ism, I'm not sure if i should have it delivered to my state of Ca or fly to OH oregon and drive it back, I was quoted enclosed trailer shipping for 1900 wow thats allot, is it cheaper just flying there and driving it back home never did a cross country drive like that just not sure if its safe from oh to southern California seems like it would take me 3 days 1/2 i believe
I had mine shipped from a Minnesota dealer in January when they had below 0 and 18 inches of snow. I went open carry for 1000.00 since mines a DD
anyway.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 06-01-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:11 AM
brentano
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

$1900 is to much. I had mine in an enclosed truck for $1300 from Texas to Northern California. I was going to fly back and drive it home but the bottom line was I did not want to put 1700 miles on it.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

sorry my english writing skills are not the best lol, well I just bought a new c7 z51 2lt in Oh oregon, My question is, I'm not sure if i should have it delivered to my state of Ca or fly to OH oregon and drive it back, I was quoted enclosed trailer shipping for 1900 wow thats allot, is it cheaper just flying there and driving it back home never did a cross country drive like that just not sure if its safe from oh to southern California seems like it would take me 3 days 1/2 i believe
I shipped mine from MS to Southern CA in an enclosed Transport. I think it was about 1600 Miles. Paid $1400 total including the Broker.

That being said, if I had found the Car in Oregon, I would have driven it home. Nothing like driving down the California Coast. I would have made it a nice easy going drive, taking in the sites. Use that Transport Money for a One Way Airfare, gas, food and lodging and make it a memorable trip.

Last edited by Second Vette; 06-01-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:23 AM
jerryc610
Instructor

Originally Posted by brentano
$1900 is to much. I had mine in an enclosed truck for $1300 from Texas to Northern California. I was going to fly back and drive it home but the bottom line was I did not want to put 1700 miles on it.
i would love to pay that price enclosed but yes its allot, i was just thinking open carrier and just ask the driver to have the car on the top rack to avoid rock chips and dirt, i heard allot of horror stories, everyone says to do enclosed but now thinking about it, if the car was like a show car and had expensive rims and worried about rock chip then for sure enclosed, i think ill just do open trailer its probably better then doing a cross country drive to southern Ca i think. its at the dealership in Oh oregon hmmm not sure what to do
Old 06-01-2014, 12:27 AM
jerryc610
Instructor

Originally Posted by Second Vette
I shipped mine from MS to Southern CA in an enclosed Transport. I think it was about 1600 Miles. Paid $1400 total including the Broker.

That being said, if I had found the Car in Oregon, I would have driven it home. Nothing like driving down the California Coast. I would have made it a nice easy going drive, taking in the sites. Use that Transport Money for a One Way Airfare, gas, food and lodging and make it a memorable trip.
oh its actually in Oh the city is oregon i would love to drive it down the California coast trying to see whats cheaper flying and driving it back or just have it shipped not really sure how the roads from Oh to California are, I'm going crazy lol
Old 06-01-2014, 12:39 AM
cam832
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same as Rockin Blue when i got mine. Id say ship it open. $1k sounds about right. You will get the same amount of dirt and grime on it if you ship it open as you would if you drove it down. - unless you wanted to use the trip to get it past the break in miles.

Cheers
Old 06-01-2014, 01:21 AM
OperativeXIV
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to consider is that the drive from Oregon Ohio (Thanks for teaching me some geography today ) is that it would be an incredible drive to make through some very scenic country. You'd be driving back on well maintained interstates the whole way so you don't need to worry about the roads. You could do some nice mountain driving through Colorado, beautiful areas of Utah, and then through Las Vegas if that's the kind of thing you're into. It seems like it would be a great vacation and some good memories to make in your incredible new car.

On a side note, when I buy my C7 I'm planning on doing museum delivery and taking a detour to specifically do some driving through Colorado.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:28 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I say fly back and drive it home. You'll have a blast. I drove mine 1,800 miles from the museum to Phoenix, in-between those bad storms in early December. I'd do it again in a minute!
Old 06-01-2014, 01:33 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Fly and drive - you'll never forget the experience and likely see much of this beautiful country that you have never seen (and may never if you don't do it!).

We are picking up my wife's C7 at the Museum next month, and then taking a week and a half to work our way back and see parts of the country that I haven't seen for over 40 years. Bucket list experience.

Just do it!
Old 06-01-2014, 01:48 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

oh its actually in Oh the city is oregon i would love to drive it down the California coast trying to see whats cheaper flying and driving it back or just have it shipped not really sure how the roads from Oh to California are, I'm going crazy lol
I thought the "Oh" was just a typo.

To quote Emily Latella, "never mind". If you decide to transport it, I would recommend enclosed. That way nobody will know it's in there.

After the Car is delivered, you won't give a darn how much the Transporter cost anyway, I didn't.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:00 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I shipped from Atlantic City NJ to So. Cal. Total was 2800 miles and paid about $1650 for enclosed transport through Montway. Great price and great service. My brother had great service from them as well as other forum members here. My brother and I found out about them through Barrett Jackson and while they may be a broker, they are one of the highest rated ones and screen their carriers very well.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:11 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Had mine delivered from MD to UT, enclosed carrier, 1750.00. Plycar did a great job. IMO delivery is better than driving, saves me the time, saves the miles on the car.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't worry about the roads if you drive the interstate highways. Take that $1600 and put it towards the one way airfare and hotel costs and take a fun trip across our great country. You'll really enjoy the drive in your new C7. Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:48 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,129 Likes on 6,195 Posts

I bought mine from supporting dealer Reliable Chevrolet (Wes Milby) is Missouri, and did National Corvette Museum delivery in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Drove it home to Texas. If you can spend the time, taking a road trip is highly recommended. We drove my C6 across country doing Route 66. Fantastic trip. From the NCM delivery, we drove the entire length of the Natchez Trace Parkway then across Louisiana to the Dallas, TX area. Nice drive in the C7, took absolutely no Interstates.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:25 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I got mine from Bud's in St Mary's, Ohio. Flew in and drove the 540 miles home in 8 leisurely hours. It gives you time to get used to people ogling the car.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:02 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

I would fly there and drive back, the memories and experience of you driving back home through this great country of ours to me are priceless...

I drove my C6 to MD from NY and picked up and drove back my C7 from Mike at Criswell...not nearly as long of a drive but it was a great trip none the less...breaking in the car the right way and I can't tell you how many thumbs up...pictures taken etc I had in the way back...it was fun...

As for the miles....I really don't sweat that...no one ever knows what tomorrow brings...enjoy your Vette NOW and if you have high miles on the car when you sell / trade it in so what...you did what you were supposed to do...you drove your car!!

That's my two cents...let us know what you do and good luck with your new amazing Vette...

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone that bought a C7 out of state, had it delivered or flew and drove it home

Old 06-01-2014, 07:10 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Vette

Agreed, that coastal drive is incredible. The memories alone would be worth it. To the original point, I bought mine out of state and drove it home, but it was only a few hundred miles.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Senior Teen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my C7 shipped from Dearborn to Ft Laud and the shipping was 1350.00 . I did not pick it up in Dearborn as it was 14 below at the time and snow every day there. Since I got the car for below MSRP it covered the shipping and still saved a few hundred on the cost of the C7 .
Old 06-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Have you considered courtesy delivery? I have a C7 on order and have courtesy delivery set up with my local dealer for $500.

Quick Reply: Anyone that bought a C7 out of state, had it delivered or flew and drove it home