C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone that bought a C7 out of state, had it delivered or flew and drove it home

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:08 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Ordered mine through a dealer in northern Idaho and drove it home (450 miles - 6 hours).

By the way over the years, I have repeatedly driven from the Portland area to SoCal (South Bay area) in just over 14 hours. It certainly doesn't take 3 days!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:37 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,583 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Purchased mine at a small Chevy dealer in Ohio and had it shipped via "Reliable Carrier" enclosed to my home in South Carolina. Total cost was under $800.00. Only down side is that it took over two weeks for Reliable to get around to picking up the car (longest two weeks of my life). However, all things being equal, I would probably do it that way again....

Old 06-01-2014, 12:02 PM
hankman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

being shipped by montway....enclosed to calif 1700 car will only have 5 miles on it
Old 06-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I drove 4 days from the Museum to Vegas taking the long route. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Life is an adventure. Do you really want to spend all your life in a metal tube at 30,000 ft?
Old 06-01-2014, 01:14 PM
SoCalC7
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts

I drove mine back to So CA from Kansas City, MO. 1640 miles in 2 days. I would do it again :-)
Old 06-01-2014, 02:37 PM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Rick Conti Delivers!!!

Originally Posted by jerryc610
sorry my english writing skills are not the best lol, well I just bought a new c7 z51 2lt in Oh oregon, My question is, I'm not sure if i should have it delivered to my state of Ca or fly to OH and drive it back, I was quoted enclosed trailer shipping for 1900 wow thats allot, is it cheaper just flying there and driving it back home never did a cross country drive like that just not sure if its safe from oh to southern California seems like it would take me 3 days 1/2 i believe
I bought my C7 from Rick Conti in Columbus Ohio. Seamless transaction that included him at the last minute arranging to have my vette shipped covered carrier in the dead of a mean winter to Casper Wyoming. I t cost me $1450 and it arrived perfectly set up by Conti, in perfect condition. I got to take it off the transport and put it in my garage for another month. My impatience got the best of me...could have waited for Spring........but spring never came either. Owned the car since Feb 12th and have 1800 miles on it. What a superb machine!!

dpb
Old 06-01-2014, 08:35 PM
jerryc610
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for your replies, so looks like Im going to fly in and do the cross-country drive from OH to Southern California rancho cucamonga

as some have mentioned, it would be a great experience to see all the great parts of this country has to offer, any great places that i should for sure stop and look at and take pictures on my way to southern California that you guys recommend.. This will be my first road trip thanks so much so excited to get my new torch red z51 2lt c7
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 PM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drove 1000 miles home with the wife and loved it. I would do iagain in a hert beat. there some thng about getting a new car and having to drive it. ow darn.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 PM
jerryc610
Instructor

Originally Posted by rovers2000
drove 1000 miles home with the wife and loved it. I would do iagain in a hert beat. there some thng about getting a new car and having to drive it. ow darn.
wow thats great I'm actually going to buy two tickets and fly there with my wife and do the trip, like everyone said it would be amazing, get too see things i never seen before, i just don't know exactly what are the places that for sure i should see
Old 06-01-2014, 09:38 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

sorry my english writing skills are not the best lol, well I just bought a new c7 z51 2lt in Oh oregon, My question is, I'm not sure if i should have it delivered to my state of Ca or fly to OH and drive it back, I was quoted enclosed trailer shipping for 1900 wow thats allot, is it cheaper just flying there and driving it back home never did a cross country drive like that just not sure if its safe from oh to southern California seems like it would take me 3 days 1/2 i believe
I flew from Seattle to Kansas City and drove my car home the southern route due to cold weather in March 3250 miles !!! Picked up car on March 11th and was at home by March 18th !!! Wayne
Old 06-01-2014, 10:46 PM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

wow thats great I'm actually going to buy two tickets and fly there with my wife and do the trip, like everyone said it would be amazing, get too see things i never seen before, i just don't know exactly what are the places that for sure i should see
Pull up Google maps, think of all the places you've heard about over the years, pinpoint some interesting looking cities along the route you may want to take, and do some google searches to see what is going on at that time of year there. There IS no wrong route, and as long as you stay on Interstate highways you can hardly go wrong. Life is an adventure - live it!!!

Just remember that the northern part of the country thaws later than the south, and avoid the upper eastern seaboard and northern states in very late fall, winter and early spring, but try to route in those areas during late spring through early fall.

Keep an eye on the weather where ever you travel, pull over if necessary, and don't push yourself too hard. This is such a beautiful country and you'd do yourself a disservice if you don't do the trip!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,126 Likes on 6,194 Posts

Thanks everyone for your replies, so looks like Im going to fly in and do the cross-country drive from OH to Southern California rancho cucamonga

as some have mentioned, it would be a great experience to see all the great parts of this country has to offer, any great places that i should for sure stop and look at and take pictures on my way to southern California that you guys recommend.. This will be my first road trip thanks so much so excited to get my new torch red z51 2lt c7
I would highly recommend getting the book "Route 66: EZ66 GUIDE For Travelers - 3RD EDITION Spiral-bound by Jerry McClanahan" (available from Amazon) and catch Route 66 in Illinois and take it all the way to Santa Barbara, CA (note - not all of Route 66 can still be driven, some parts you will be on I-40). This book will help you see all of Route 66 that is available. It is a great trip.

Here are some shots from El Reno, OK to points west:

Old 06-02-2014, 12:19 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Nice! Route 66 is a great suggestion if you have the time... So much history.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:57 PM
jerryc610
Instructor

wow route 66 does have history thanks everyone I'm excited, ill for sure post pics of my travel and videos of every thing thanks again everyone

Quick Reply: Anyone that bought a C7 out of state, had it delivered or flew and drove it home