Sponsored by:

I am beginning to wonder if I should have purchased an extended warrantee on C7

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I am beginning to wonder if I should have purchased an extended warrantee on C7

It was purchased on 4/4/14

Reasons why I did not get it.

I do not push the car to it's limits and don't put on many miles.

I usually do not keep my cars very long so the basic factory warranty will still be in effect when I sell or trade in my car.

============================

Why I am having second thoughts.

If I sell the car privately it will be easier to sell for more money with the warrantee. My next door neighbor likes my new C7 maybe he may want to buy it a couple years from now

I doubt I will keep the 2014 because there are always new features they add every year but what happens if the government regs make the car worse? Maybe they new FED. regs will require better MPGs and it hurts performance.

Does it make sense to buy an extended warrantee if you are sure you are going to trade the car in in two years?

EDIT

With the exception of my 96 and 62 Vette I have not owned a car long enough to wear out the tires and battery. I am guessing that the last time I bought a battery or tires was well over 20 years ago.

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 05-29-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:49 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

You still have time to decide. IMO if you are keeping the car within the manufacturer's warranty only there is NO reason to purchase an extended warranty. You'll never recoup your investment at resale. The things that drive a quick resale are overall condition, mileage, and equipment on the car. I doubt anyone will have trouble with resale of a 2-3 year old C7 that has been maintained well, has reasonable miles, and looks good.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
You still have time to decide. IMO if you are keeping the car within the manufacturer's warranty only there is NO reason to purchase an extended warranty. You'll never recoup your investment at resale. The things that drive a quick resale are overall condition, mileage, and equipment on the car. I doubt anyone will have trouble with resale of a 2-3 year old C7 that has been maintained well, has reasonable miles, and looks good.

One thing that I wanted to get with this car was museum delivery but when the deal fell thru with a local dealer I had to buy one from dealers stock so now I am already looking forward to my next C7 with museum delivery (this will be my 3rd museum delivery) so I am reasonably sure I am getting another C7 in two years. When I sold my last C5 the buyer seemed consider the fact it was under warrantee an important selling point.

I imagine that all these fancy features cost a lot of money to fix it something goes wrong, as I already said all my other cars have been sold or traded in while still under warrantee but there is a very small chance that I may wind up keeping the car. In two years I will probably have about 10,000 miles on the car so maybe I may keep the car longer than 2 or 3 years. Right now the car has less than 1,300 miles in almost two months and almost 1,000 of those miles are from the trip back home from NH to SC.

In the words of Yogi Berra it is hard to make predictions especially when they are about the future and right now I don't know how long I am keeping this car
Old 05-29-2014, 10:37 AM
sharpgt
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're sure you are going to sell in 2 years I would not buy the extended warranty. The new owner will be looking at a well maintained car under still under factory warranty. Equipment, condition and price will dictate sale price and extended warranty will not add the initial cost plus lost earning power of the money. Anyway odds are it will be going to a neighbor, friend or relative. I already have a queue for mine and I haven't even picked it up yet lol
Old 05-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

You can extend the warranty at a later date, if inclined. Warranty service organizations are always after me.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:46 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Why all the angst? You said yourself that you never keep a Car past the initial warranty period, haven't bought tires/battery in 20 years, etc. I think you answered your own question. OK. I'll bite. Don't get the extended warranty. If you keep the Car for 35 months, buy the warranty. Pretty basic.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Obviously, what I'm about to say doesn't apply to all extended warranties but for my experience--have had two of them in my lifetime--they aren't transferable anyway. Only the original car warranty by the manufacturer.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:57 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Obviously, what I'm about to say doesn't apply to all extended warranties but for my experience--have had two of them in my lifetime--they aren't transferable anyway. Only the original car warranty by the manufacturer.
The GM extended plans are not like the others, from my experience.

GMPP was easily transferred and I am assuming () that the new plans are too.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon

Old 05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
ostbloom
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an extended warranty with my 08. When I sold it, I simply wrote GM and cancelled it and got a refund for the prorated amount. I had never used it but it was still available in case of a problem.

I didn' buy one with the 2012 or the 2014.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 AM
mikebq
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default warranty

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
It was purchased on 4/4/14

Reasons why I did not get it.

I do not push the car to it's limits and don't put on many miles.

I usually do not keep my cars very long so the basic factory warranty will still be in effect when I sell or trade in my car.

============================

Why I am having second thoughts.

If I sell the car privately it will be easier to sell for more money with the warrantee. My next door neighbor likes my new C7 maybe he may want to buy it a couple years from now

I doubt I will keep the 2014 because there are always new features they add every year but what happens if the government regs make the car worse? Maybe they new FED. regs will require better MPGs and it hurts performance.

Does it make sense to buy an extended warrantee if you are sure you are going to trade the car in in two years?

EDIT

With the exception of my 96 and 62 Vette I have not owned a car long enough to wear out the tires and battery. I am guessing that the last time I bought a battery or tires was well over 20 years ago.
Like others said you can get the warranty any time b4 the 3 years or 36000 miles runs out. Why spend the money that you will not use for at least three years. Why would anybody spend money that won't be used for at least 3 years. I t makes absolutely no sense at all. I sell cars for a living at a high volume Chevy dealer. DON"T BUT IT ......
Old 05-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,150 Posts

NO and again NO!!! Did you ask your neighbor what color to order? Buy the car for YOU!!! Don't worry about maybe and probably not an extra $100 at trade in. More important to have a clean car fax. If that is the goal don't drive it!!!!

Bottom line drive it your way and enjoy it.

I traded a 13 for my C7. When I was offered an extend warranty I just asked your kidding me right? End of topic.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Tsharpe27
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry/car
You can extend the warranty at a later date, if inclined. Warranty service organizations are always after me.
Good advice!
Old 05-29-2014, 01:46 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I bought exactly one extended warranty in my life and that was for my 1985 Monte Carlo that I bought a year before starting a Ph.D. program. At that point in life there wasn't room for "surprise expenses" which was the sole reason for purchase. The car never had a problem in or out of the initial manufacturer's warranty so it was money wasted EXCEPT for the peace of mind when I had plenty of other things to stress about.

I never buy extended warranties anymore because if something bad happens out of warranty I can easily afford to have it repaired and I have saved enough on not buying extra warranties for the vehicles I have owned over the last 25 years to pay for even a major mechanical fault and still be way ahead not even considering the time value of money. The extended warranty is basically an insurance policy and if you can afford to self-insure for this type of "hazard" you are going to be money ahead in the long run. But if you either have to (or feel the need to) spend every last nickel that comes your way then you may need the extended warranty.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

People say there are no dumb questions. I disagree.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:26 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebq
... Why spend the money that you will not use for at least three years. Why would anybody spend money that won't be used for at least 3 years. It makes absolutely no sense at all.
Unless something has changed the price of the warranty increases each year.

When I got my C5, the GMPP gold price at delivery was around 2k. By the time I actually bought GMPP Gold (just before factory warranty ran out) the cost had increased to just a bit under 3k.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HalfMoon

there are 3 types of people who run their lives via assuming--as*es, a*ses, and ****s. you post history assures you will qualify for one of these options.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,381 Likes on 1,240 Posts

stop living in the future. enjoy your car today. when you get tired of it get something else. life is too short for this kind of thing.

Get notified of new replies

To I am beginning to wonder if I should have purchased an extended warrantee on C7

Quick Reply: I am beginning to wonder if I should have purchased an extended warrantee on C7