2015 Blind Spot Information System

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Wiscane
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2015 Blind Spot Information System

..... Has anyone heard any speculation about "blind spot" warning systems being intergraded into next years model. I had an opportunity to sit in a convertible top up and a coupe. I'm thinking both would benefit from this technology !!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:36 PM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, this was one thing that I was truly surprised wasn't on the C7, it seems so simple to implement, especially since it's already on a bunch of cars, can't be too high of a cost, and is of a lot of value, even if it only helps you once.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nope.

The outside mirrors are the only subcontracted fully assembled "outside GM" part on the car. They even arrive to BG already painted (which is why the mirrors don't have orange peel).

I wonder is this has anything to do with it.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:17 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

While I don't have the convertible, I can speak for the coupe. If you are having issues with blind spots, your mirrors are not adjusted properly. I have absolutely no issues with blind spots on my C7. None whatsoever. You just have to adjust the mirrors out a bit further so as not to be able to see the sides of the car. When adjusted properly, between the rear view mirror and the side mirrors, you have complete visibility of everything alongside you. And rest assured the same will hold true with the vert. As such, I personally think blind spot indicators would be a waste of money. Others may disagree but I suspect that most of those who disagree, don't own a C7 and have not driven one yet and or those that adjust their mirrors like the are used to doing instead of adjusting them properly.

Last edited by slief; 05-27-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:26 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
While I don't have the convertible, I can speak for the coupe. If you are having issues with blind spots, your mirrors are not adjusted properly. I have absolutely no issues with blind spots on my C7. None whatsoever. You just have to adjust the mirrors out a bit further so as not to be able to see the sides of the car. When adjusted properly, between the rear view mirror and the side mirrors, you have complete visibility of everything alongside you. And rest assured the same will hold true with the vert. As such, I personally think blind spot indicators would be a waste of money. Others may disagree but I suspect that most of those who disagree, don't own a C7 and have not driven one yet and or those that adjust their mirrors like the are used to doing instead of adjusting them properly.
I learned this technique decades ago when I was stationed In Germany. It's now updated and on YouTube. Properly adjusted mirrors are your best friend, yet most American's don't know how to do it.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:31 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I learned this technique decades ago when I was stationed In Germany. It's now updated and on YouTube. Properly adjusted mirrors are your best friend, yet most American's don't know how to do it.

AutoFocus - How to adjust your car's mirrors - YouTube
I agree. I just added the pictorial on properly adjusting mirrors and I saw your post. It takes getting used to not seeing the sides of the car in the mirrors but when the mirrors are adjusted properly, it makes a world of difference and virtually eliminates blind spots.

One has to wonder if people are getting so lazy that they need an alarm to check blind spots for them on their sports car. Properly adjusted mirrors and looking over your shoulder should occur at every lane change and turn. If people are in the habit of doing it properly there is no need for that kind of nanny. If there not in that habit, then perhaps this is the wrong car for them. I know some will not like that comment but like I said, blind spots are NOT an issue if the mirrors are properly adjusted.

Edit: Great video by the way!

Last edited by slief; 05-27-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Absolutely ! +1

Got tired of the blind spot in my Z and remedied that a few years ago.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Well, first we have 460 horse power corvettes, no one is even close (maybe another Corvette) coming from the rear. Another trick, we have power mirrors, they move at the touch of a button. I change the scan all the time, also the power seat doesn't stay at one position either. Sometimes I have been adjusting to the point that the memory position places everything back to my so called 0 position.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:57 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Well, first we have 460 horse power corvettes, no one is even close (maybe another Corvette) coming from the rear. Another trick, we have power mirrors, they move at the touch of a button. I change the scan all the time, also the power seat doesn't stay at one position either. Sometimes I have been adjusting to the point that the memory position places everything back to my so called 0 position.
Huh?? Hopefully that was just some sarcasm but just in case it's not.... Pretty much every dyno I've seen on a stock C7 places the horsepower at or above the estimated 460 crank HP when you calculate in drivetrain loss. FWIW, my mirrors and seats always return to and stay where I set them except when I exit the car. The memory settings work fine for me and I never have to readjust anything. If you are seriously having issues with your mirrors and seats not staying put, I'd suggest it's time to take a trip to your dealer. If you were being sarcastic then I will give you an obligatory "LOL".
Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 974 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

I set my mirrors per the color pic above, it was first put here by me. That being said, I'd take blind spot assist in a heartbeat. The accord has it std. Some of you abhor more tech, I'll take as much as I can get....
Old 05-27-2014, 07:33 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glen e
I set my mirrors per the color pic above, it was first put here by me. That being said, I'd take blind spot assist in a heartbeat. The accord has it std. Some of you abhor more tech, I'll take as much as I can get....
I for one love all the tech goodies. I'm an absolute tech junky. I just don't want the car beeping or changing my guage display to tell me somebody is alongside me when I already know it. Sometimes I think certain types of technology make us complacient which is not something we should ever be when driving. Things like mirror adjustments and manually checking blind spots should be second nature or habit. If tech eliminates the need to look over your shoulders or adjust your mirrors, then we loose a good habit. What happens when we drive a rental car and out of "habit", fail to check our blind spots and kill someone? Some would then blame it on the lack of tech. If it was on my car, it would probably be something I would turn off or disable if I could.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I also use this method of mirror adjustment. My C5 is barely able to be adjusted this way though. The mirrors don't travel very far out to the sides but I have them all the way out and it works much better than the way most people adjust their mirrors. My wife could not adjust to this method so when I get in her car which has memory mirrors they adjust for me. I can't understand why people adjust their side mirror to see the same thing as the rear view mirror. Yes it does take a few minutes to adjust but it so much better.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

I for one love all the tech goodies. I'm an absolute tech junky. I just don't want the car beeping or changing my guage display to tell me somebody is alongside me when I already know it. Sometimes I think certain types of technology make us complacient which is not something we should ever be when driving. Things like mirror adjustments and manually checking blind spots should be second nature or habit. If tech eliminates the need to look over your shoulders or adjust your mirrors, then we loose a good habit. What happens when we drive a rental car and out of "habit", fail to check our blind spots and kill someone? Some would then blame it on the lack of tech. If it was on my car, it would probably be something I would turn off or disable if I could.
remember blind spot systems only beep at you when you start to leave your lane and someone is there...I'll take that "beep" all day long....
Old 05-27-2014, 08:20 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

remember blind spot systems only beep at you when you start to leave your lane and someone is there...I'll take that "beep" all day long....
But they monitor the whole time, even when "turned off". This will play havoc with radar detectors.

Cheers.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Understood however what happens when exiting the freeway or a road that had two exit lanes side by side and a car is in the lane next to you? I'd guess it will be beeping at you which would drive me bat $hi# crazy. It's been several years since I ever had an issue with a car in my blind spot when I was changing lanes although only a close call. I attribute my current stretch to my lane changing habits and mirror settings. That said, tomorrow I'll probably take out a motorcycle in my blind spot on the freeway. In hindsight, I rode motorcycles for many years and as a motorcycle rider, I'm acutely aware of what's around me when I drive. I'm always scanning my mirrors and keeping an eye out for cars, motorcycles and police. As such, I personally have no need for such a device. That said, as a motorcycle rider, I might however concur that everybody else needs such a device.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ersin
But they monitor the whole time, even when "turned off". This will play havoc with radar detectors.

Cheers.
going on 4 years using 335's with blind spot and a valentine one and never a problem....the system is cam based, with nothing more than a rear backup radar on the side bumper edge...does not play "havoc" with anything...seeing as I'm not a good as you guys driving with phone calls and such, it's saved my *** twice so I want it!

PS BMW is not audible at all, you just get a alert light embedded in side mirror and steering wheel vibrates if you want it that way...

"cheers"

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...e_warning.html

Last edited by Glen e; 05-27-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Tracker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going on 4 years using 335's with blind spot and a valentine one and never a problem....the system is cam based, with nothing more than a rear backup radar on the side bumper edge...does not play "havoc" with anything...

"cheers"

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...e_warning.html
I am just use too using convex mirrors with all of my vehicles. My not be a pleasing look to others buy I feel very confident when changing lanes.

[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Blind Spot Information System

Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Tracker
I am just use too using convex mirrors with all of my vehicles. My not be a pleasing look to others buy I feel very confident when changing lanes.

[IMG][/IMG]
Do they have these available for the C7? If so where can I get them? Thx
Old 05-27-2014, 10:31 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Do they have these available for the C7? If so where can I get them? Thx
That is a C7 if I'm not mistaken.

Those are available at most major auto parts stores and also Walmart.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:37 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I must have missed the small convex mirror. Thought he meant he had his whole mirror as a convex specially made for the C7..

Quick Reply: 2015 Blind Spot Information System