Sponsored by:

All is not lost if you swim with your KeyFob

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:43 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default All is not lost if you swim with your KeyFob

Was in the pool for 3 hours with the RKE in my pocket. Went right to the car and it unlocked and started. When I took it apart it was damp and rusty/dirty inside. Cleaned it up with paper towels and hair dryer. Lots of testing and works just fine. I think this one will now be my 'back-up' .
Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I accidentally washed one of the RKE fobs for my 2008 CTS right after I did the first oil change. It was in a pocket but at least I didn't run it through the dryer also. I took it apart, dried it, sprayed with WD-40 (probably one of the few times WD-40 was actually used for its original intended purpose as a Water Displacer), wiped it again and put in a new battery. It worked fine although the first few times I used that fob I would also carry the other fob with me. I traded in the CTS on a 2014 ATS last month and the washed fob never failed.

I would replace the battery however, water might cause it to corrode and do undesirable things to the RKE.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:34 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Ok, but I have to ask...why was it separated from your keys? How do you keep track of your house key, and all the other ones, if they are not with you at all times?....even at the pool?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:41 PM
pittperson
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Ok, but I have to ask...why was it separated from your keys? How do you keep track of your house key, and all the other ones, if they are not with you at all times?....even at the pool?
You carry actual keys? I just roll the dice and hope the power isn't out when I get back to my house.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:09 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

In my case with 3 different vehicles it is far easier to keep my house and office keys on a separate key ring, duplicate house keys wouldn't be a pain but I have 3 keys I use fairly often at work so it is either a lot of duplicate keys for each fob or keep the fob separate.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 PM
louloumax
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank Gernman design and engineering for the durable key fob.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:34 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by louloumax
Thank Gernman design and engineering for the durable key fob.
My working line German Shepherd Cheyenne endorses this message and thanks you for your astute observation
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2014, 08:39 PM
louloumax
Racer

Originally Posted by NSC5
My working line German Shepherd Cheyenne endorses this message and thanks you for your astute observation
Appears he is also almost waterproof
Old 05-26-2014, 08:55 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by louloumax
Appears he is also almost waterproof
This winter I found out her coat was a lot warmer than my Carhart winter wear and she sheds snow readily. She would have stayed out for hours if I had let her but now that warm weather is here she definitely likes her air conditioning.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:02 PM
louloumax
Racer

Originally Posted by NSC5
This winter I found out her coat was a lot warmer than my Carhart winter wear and she sheds snow readily. She would have stayed out for hours if I had let her but now that warm weather is here she definitely likes her air conditioning.
I can relate to that. Sorry about calling her the wrong sex. Complicated times we live in.
Also, an afterthought. If you put her pic on your front door, I bet you won't get too many door to door solicitors of French descent come a-knocking.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 PM
OMG
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you say this, but I have no keys. Zero. None. Just my fob (CTS though not vette). Seriously considering just putting on a necklace. My door is wireless (garage). Everything else is combination. Everyone thinks I am the epitome of lazy.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:22 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG
Funny you say this, but I have no keys. Zero. None. Just my fob (CTS though not vette). Seriously considering just putting on a necklace. My door is wireless (garage). Everything else is combination. Everyone thinks I am the epitome of lazy.
Me, too! I have fobs for the Vettes, and I love never having to pull my keys out of my purse so much that I put keypads on my doors.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Yes! I can now keep my FOB with me when I take a bath!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

I do not carry a Key. Each vehicle I drive has its fob, even my bikes. They all have garage door openers. If power is out, I do have a key hidden near the house.

Originally Posted by OMG
I carry no keys. Have not gone quite that far to do a combo for the front door, but have for garage.

Get notified of new replies

To All is not lost if you swim with your KeyFob

Quick Reply: All is not lost if you swim with your KeyFob