Sponsored by:

Coupe owners who often take your top off

Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 PM
gsiegel1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe owners who often take your top off

.....I mean the top for the coupe.....

I have a deposit down for a 2015 and am still a bit torn between getting a vert or a coupe. This will be a third car and likely driven a couple of times per week. I have always loved a convertible but IMO the lines of the coupe make that car much nicer looking than the vert (not meaning to offend the vert owners). I live in Fla. and the car will be driven more often than not with the top down/off, although even still with the top off the coupe and down on the vert I like the look of the coupe ...at least today that is how I feel. If it is looking like rain I likely will not drive it.

I have driven in a coupe with the top off and the limited time I was in it I still seemed to get that open air feeling (sure not as much as the vert). So my question is for those coupe owners who take the top off the majority of the time (or at least a lot). Are you glad you purchased the coupe and deal with having to manually remove the top (yes I know it is relatively easy but still not just like pressing a button), and to you how does it compare to the driving experience in comparison to having a convertible top down?

Thanks and safe driving.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 PM
ta70raiii
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran

It's great with the top out. Easy to remove and install. Nice open car feeling.

I have owned 1 convertible and 4 coupes, so you could say I am a coupe fan.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

As the new top is 6-7 lbs, it is easy and I take it off at least once a week....
Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 PM
aquavettes
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Bought the coupe for the same reason you prefer the coupe over the vert. Traded a 2007 vert for this coupe. I found that driving the vert on the highway over sixty mph the wind was more than comfortable for me, so had the top up! Also on really hot days even with the air conditioner on high it was still to hot, so the top up! When driving short trips in town the top was always down.

The finale decision of course is yours, but I will probably not have the top out much at all. It,s a PITA even tho it,s not that hard to do, just not worth it for me.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
As the new top is 6-7 lbs, it is easy and I take it off at least once a week....
I think the Painted Carbon Fiber (stock) Top weighs 16 Pounds.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Second Vette

Not the point, the point is easily manageable by one person....
Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
well...sort of...it's 16 lbs
Old 05-23-2014, 10:46 PM
gsiegel1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
well...sort of...it's 16 lbs
I can handle the 16 lbs. Question for the coupe owners who bought it thinking it is aesthetically more appealing than the vert, but truly like verts. Those who bought the coupe envisioning taking the top off often.

If you fit into this category of C7 coupe owners, and now that you have a coupe, do you take the top off often like you thought, do you mind that it is not as open as the vert, are you glad you got the coupe in hindsight?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:00 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I take the top off quite a bit. I had it off today, and was thinking how much it adds to the driving experience. I think the targa top is great! One thing I wonder is how much drag is added with the top off? I've had the car up over 100 a few times with the top off and it gets a bit noisy.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:38 PM
99Z51Coupe
Intermediate

I have owned 2 coupes and 2 convertibles. I also prefer the lines of the C7 coupe versus the convertible. I drove a coupe this go around before ordering a convertible. The coupe gives you 80-90% of the convertible feeling when the top is off around town. What pushed me to the convertible was the wind that tunnels through the hatch area and back up to the center console at highway speed. There is also more wind noise where the wind hits the B pillar. Neither of these issues are present on the coupe at lower speeds. Finally the convenience of the power top and the fact that you can open/close it while driving below 30 mph allows me to put the top back much more frequently than I would take the top off of the coupe.

After owning the convertible for a few months I still like the looks of the coupe better, but know I made the right decision with the convertible. It is still a beautiful car and I drive with the top down more often than I would a coupe. I can comfortably take it on the highway at elevated speeds without it getting too loud. The two versions weigh within around 50 lbs of one another, so performance will be essentially the same. It's nice to know that the vert will handle and perform on the track just as well as the coupe, which I will find out first hand once schedules relax a bit. One last note about the convertible that was a nice surprise is how quiet it is compared to a C6 vert and a C7 coupe with the top up/on. To me it really comes down to how important driving with the top off is. I know I would have been perfectly happy with a coupe, but am thankful I chose function over form for my use. You can't go wrong with either version. Just pick what suits you best.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

take mine off at least twice a week. Do not like verts. Sorry. Verts over time tend to sag, and then on the highway tend to look bloated on top lol. I like the look of the coupe but wanted to have convertible capability. Would have loved a hard top convertible but the targa top is just as good in my book
Old 05-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the targa is the best of both worlds. In winter, it's on most of the time. Otherwise, it's off most of the time. Haven't had it on once in the last two weeks.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:49 AM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

I too prefer the lines of the coupe.
It is easy to remove the top and I could never live without the look the coupe provides. Not to mention losing the rear vents...

I went to the dealer where I purchased mine and checked the Vert First, and as soon as the top went down my Wife and I simultaneously uttered the same sentence. "The rear looks like a C5/C6 from the side... Owning a C5 I did not want this and went back into the show room and purchased my Velocity Yellow Coupe.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:14 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Vette
In correct. Both carbon fiber tops weigh approximately 7 lbs while the transparent top weighs 16 lbs.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:42 AM
gsiegel1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kruegmeister
I too prefer the lines of the coupe.
It is easy to remove the top and I could never live without the look the coupe provides. Not to mention losing the rear vents...

I went to the dealer where I purchased mine and checked the Vert First, and as soon as the top went down my Wife and I simultaneously uttered the same sentence. "The rear looks like a C5/C6 from the side... Owning a C5 I did not want this and went back into the show room and purchased my Velocity Yellow Coupe.

I tell you - I have been heavily leaning to red BUT that yellow looks really cool!

Thanks for posting...and confusing me more...
Old 05-24-2014, 07:29 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
In correct. Both carbon fiber tops weigh approximately 7 lbs while the transparent top weighs 16 lbs.
I was told told the painted top weights 16 pounds (about 8 pounds less than the C6 top) and the transparent top weighs 24 pounds.

Does anyone have any published GM specs on the weights? But we do know the C7 top weighs much less than the C6 top.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:33 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 464 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Z51Coupe
I have owned 2 coupes and 2 convertibles. I also prefer the lines of the C7 coupe versus the convertible. I drove a coupe this go around before ordering a convertible. The coupe gives you 80-90% of the convertible feeling when the top is off around town. What pushed me to the convertible was the wind that tunnels through the hatch area and back up to the center console at highway speed. There is also more wind noise where the wind hits the B pillar. Neither of these issues are present on the coupe at lower speeds. Finally the convenience of the power top and the fact that you can open/close it while driving below 30 mph allows me to put the top back much more frequently than I would take the top off of the coupe.

After owning the convertible for a few months I still like the looks of the coupe better, but know I made the right decision with the convertible. It is still a beautiful car and I drive with the top down more often than I would a coupe. I can comfortably take it on the highway at elevated speeds without it getting too loud. The two versions weigh within around 50 lbs of one another, so performance will be essentially the same. It's nice to know that the vert will handle and perform on the track just as well as the coupe, which I will find out first hand once schedules relax a bit. One last note about the convertible that was a nice surprise is how quiet it is compared to a C6 vert and a C7 coupe with the top up/on. To me it really comes down to how important driving with the top off is. I know I would have been perfectly happy with a coupe, but am thankful I chose function over form for my use. You can't go wrong with either version. Just pick what suits you best.
I have owned 13 Vettes, 8 were coupes and 5 were Convertibles (1993, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2014).

If you like driving with the top off/down buy the Vert.

If I am making a 5 minute run to the bank or even to a store, I put the top down, if I will be in the store for a bit, I press a button and the top goes up, come out and 1 button and it is back down.

I would never do that if I had a Targa top.

Not only that, if it looks like it is going to rain, I still put the top down, if it starts pouring I slow down to 30 and put the top back up, this has happened numerous times, people next to me just are blown away when they see this.

Also, I have to tell you, this 2014 Convertible is the tightest sports car I have ever owned, including the likes of Mercedes C63 AMG, Porsche 911 Targa 4, Shelby GT500, and a C6Z and numerous C4, C5 & C6 versions.

IMHO, the Vert just puts the Vette to another level and I feel GREAT pulling up next to Ferraris, Lambos, Porsche, Audi R8s, etc....
It gives up absolutely nothing and mine is completely base save for auto tranny, 54K out the door.

As for looks, I think the Vert looks sleeker and has cleaner lines, IMHO.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

Last edited by yell03; 05-24-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe owners who often take your top off

Old 05-24-2014, 07:54 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW: My last vette was a convertible. Somewhere along the way I realized that I didn't enjoy driving the car with the top up so I only drove it when I could keep the top down. I did love driving the vert at night with only the moon and stars above.

My C7 is a coupe. My reasoning being that I think I will drive it more. I can always pop the targa out when I need a moon and stars fix.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Thepiazza
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I actual prefer the look of a topless coupe over a topless vert. With as light as the carbon fiber top is this year it's no problem at all removing it. Most of the time I just leave it on my workbench till I return. Since this is not my daily driver this routine has work out great for the last several months. I do think this routine is about to changed though! As you know its been heating up quickly down here! Time to close it up, black out the windows and crank the AC.
Attached Images   
Old 05-24-2014, 08:22 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

My top spends more time in the hatch then on the car.

I thought the C6 looked much better as a convertible but the C7 looks better as a coupe.

I went back and forth and decided to get the coupe. The only downside is over the shoulder visibility.

I get a haircut every 3-4 weeks to keep it short and no need to put the roof back on in the summer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coupe owners who often take your top off