Sponsored by:

What could possibly have caused this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 AM
RKInIL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Nobody I see here says it's not a problem, but as was said above it seems this forum loves to immediately Jump to the extreme that is on all cars and a huge problem done by a bad design.

We simply don't know that at this point....period.
If all C7s are built the same way from the same parts built in the same plant they will all crack until a viable fix is in place. They all have orange peel don't they? You can assume the cracks are there too. One car isn't different from another in this case. The real horror is the fact GM is gluing broken parts instead of replacing them at the plant.

Last edited by RKInIL; 05-28-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:37 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by RKInIL
If all C7s are built the same way from the same parts built in the same plant they will all crack until a viable fix is in place. They all have orange peel don't they? You can assume the cracks are there too. One car isn't different from another in this case. The real horror is the fact GM is gluing broken parts instead of replacing them at the plant.
Well, as far as we know, they only glued one fender. The yellow car had no adhesive. Is it likely that there are more such cases? Of course....but how will we really ever know this? What percentage of owners will be forced to remove the front bumper for any reason other than an accident? And what percentage of owners will ever read about this issue and go so far as to check? I doubt many dealers will remove the front bumper to inspect for such a possibility under warranty without some sort of official recall or TSB.

GM is betting that percentage is insignificant. Don't expect a recall or acknowledgment. A fix will be in place (or may already be) before this issue blows up and those unlucky few (20,000 +?) will just have to ignore it, wonder about it, or just put it out of their mind. Or, they can remove the front bumper themselves, find the cracks (or not), and take the necessary measures for repair.

As I expected, not a peep yet out of the Customer Service Reps that are on this site. It's not like they're actually a customer advocate.....they work for GM and can/will only post about something after GM approves their comments. I'm sure they have been helpful to some people but my guess is that they only offer help and post about it after that "help" as been approved by GM first. I can't imagine one of these reps running to their manager and fighting for the greater good based on the gripes of a forum member. Damage control takes precedence over the almighty dollar.

Integrity can be defined as doing the right thing when nobody is looking. Based on ignition key issue, I thing we all know where GM's integrity is.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:20 AM
airlineman
Advanced

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Well, as far as we know, they only glued one fender. The yellow car had no adhesive. Is it likely that there are more such cases? Of course....but how will we really ever know this? What percentage of owners will be forced to remove the front bumper for any reason other than an accident? And what percentage of owners will ever read about this issue and go so far as to check? I doubt many dealers will remove the front bumper to inspect for such a possibility under warranty without some sort of official recall or TSB.

GM is betting that percentage is insignificant. Don't expect a recall or acknowledgment. A fix will be in place (or may already be) before this issue blows up and those unlucky few (20,000 +?) will just have to ignore it, wonder about it, or just put it out of their mind. Or, they can remove the front bumper themselves, find the cracks (or not), and take the necessary measures for repair.

As I expected, not a peep yet out of the Customer Service Reps that are on this site. It's not like they're actually a customer advocate.....they work for GM and can/will only post about something after GM approves their comments. I'm sure they have been helpful to some people but my guess is that they only offer help and post about it after that "help" as been approved by GM first. I can't imagine one of these reps running to their manager and fighting for the greater good based on the gripes of a forum member. Damage control takes precedence over the almighty dollar.

Integrity can be defined as doing the right thing when nobody is looking. Based on ignition key issue, I thing we all know where GM's integrity is.
I sent gm cust ser a link to this this heres there ans Thanks for your message and link.

We will investigate and respond accordingly.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Maybe someone can post a DIY on the front fascia removal. Then, we can all remove ours this weekend and see if they are all cracked.
Until then, it's a bunch of keyboard engineers/budding Dick Tracy's flapping on.

Jimmy

PS. What I am curious about:
Has the OP's car had new fenders attached yet? If so, did they crack when they were fitted/bolted down. If they DID, then we have a DESIGN flaw....if they DIDN'T, then we have shoddy assembly.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-28-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:28 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't go that far yet. Things like this are usually marginal if design related. All cars are not exactly the same because of the tolerance allowed in each part.

I've had to evaluate problems similar to this in my line of work. A tolerance "stack up" evaluation is done to determine if all the parts involved on the edge of the specification would cause excessive stress to the material.

The material itself would have to be evaluated for any internal voids in the molding process. This could vary by batch.

Might be a small batch issue but this shouldn't be dismissed.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:27 PM
RKInIL
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan12
I wouldn't go that far yet. Things like this are usually marginal if design related. All cars are not exactly the same because of the tolerance allowed in each part.

I've had to evaluate problems similar to this in my line of work. A tolerance "stack up" evaluation is done to determine if all the parts involved on the edge of the specification would cause excessive stress to the material.

The material itself would have to be evaluated for any internal voids in the molding process. This could vary by batch.

Might be a small batch issue but this shouldn't be dismissed.
Do you happen to work in the automotive industry? I have never heard the term "stack up" used outside that industry and usually by GM engineers.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you happen to work in the automotive industry? I have never heard the term "stack up" used outside that industry and usually by GM engineers.
I'm an engineer but not for GM or the automotive industry. However the basic principals apply. I do work with a former GM engineer and another was a PM for Ford.

My group actually looks at new product field problems and recommends solutions, usually for the following year or build. Believe me GM is aware of every problem mentioned here and a team looks at it to determine root caused and corrective action.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:20 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dan12
I'm an engineer but not for GM or the automotive industry. However the basic principals apply. I do work with a former GM engineer and another was a PM for Ford.

My group actually looks at new product field problems and recommends solutions, usually for the following year or build. Believe me GM is aware of every problem mentioned here and a team looks at it to determine root caused and corrective action.
GM will correct it, if they haven't already. The real question is how they will handle any possible cars that were built with this issue. My guess is that they will do nothing unless forced to on case by case basis.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
GM will correct it, if they haven't already. The real question is how they will handle any possible cars that were built with this issue. My guess is that they will do nothing unless forced to on case by case basis.
+1
Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 AM
georgied
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 AM
RKInIL
Racer

Originally Posted by Cvillez51
Had to have my bumper pulled and replaced (long story, another time...). With the bumper off I get a call from body shop asking about the right fender where it was cracked and adhesive had been applied. My reaction was "what??!" Only time my car has been out if my possession was when I took the car in for 1st oil change and to have the radio reflashed. They ended up bricking the radio and having to outright replace it which called for an overnight stay. That is the only time car has not been with me and only place where I can imagine adhesive could have been applied unless bowling green ships them that way. My body shop tech said I would not have noticed it without bumper off. Could this have happened by lifting car for oil change? Wtf???

Service mgr (body work being done at same dealer as service) supposedly going to give me a call. Don't even know how to approach this...
So OP what has been GMs response to this so far?
Old 05-31-2014, 01:36 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Maybe someone can post a DIY on the front fascia removal. Then, we can all remove ours this weekend and see if they are all cracked.
Until then, it's a bunch of keyboard engineers/budding Dick Tracy's flapping on.

Jimmy

PS. What I am curious about:
Has the OP's car had new fenders attached yet? If so, did they crack when they were fitted/bolted down. If they DID, then we have a DESIGN flaw....if they DIDN'T, then we have shoddy assembly.
......Or it's a design flaw that does not always appear during assembly, but does manifest itself after the car has undergone the general stress of driving and frame torsion.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:51 PM
RKInIL
Racer

DEad No response as to what GM has said about these cars?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:29 PM
georgied
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Waiting Patiently

??????
Old 06-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

They Don't know it but sometimes just aggravating others makes people feel good. I don't know if mine's like that or not but she's sure screwed together tight and has 10200 miles now. I don't know anymore than the non-owners posting but it could turn out to be nothing, something, or even a tie down issue from shipping. Let's just watch and see.
Originally Posted by Glen e
Explain how you know that..........

YOU DONT............just more paranoia....
Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

DEad No response as to what GM has said about these cars?

Don't go without food or water 'til you hear a response from GM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:35 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Yeah, I wonder where the customer service folks are. . . . . . .
Hope they fix this problem AND acknowledge that there is a problem in the first place!

Last edited by AttyVette; 06-03-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What could possibly have caused this?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
More "Quality is Job One" work out of Bowling Green.

Michael
It isn't bad quality if it doesn't make a difference whether the part is broken or not. As long as the part does the job intended the quality is fine.

Bill
Old 06-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Everybody needs to stop taking pictures with Bikini girls on the bumper and fender lol
Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Breze84
Everybody needs to stop taking pictures with Bikini girls on the bumper and fender lol

Quick Reply: What could possibly have caused this?