What could possibly have caused this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:32 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
My personal experience has been that they have been helpful when I have had real issues.
Glad to hear that, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:44 PM
CV-4606
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Did I miss something or are there only two known cars with this issue? My fenders are coming off next month, so I'm going to check mine then. But with only two of these examples at this point, I don't understand the hyper-reaction. If future evidence shows this is a widespread problem, then I would understand reactions like some of the ones in this thread. But with two? Really?
How many guys have their fenders removed to actually see this issue? This is NOT an isolated issue believe it. These parts and fenders are mfg. to ultra tight tolerances. They all are the same. If theres is one there are hundreds at least. Unreal, just crazy that BG would release cars knowingly obviously with this damage. Buyer beware.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 972 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by CV-4606
How many guys have their fenders removed to actually see this issue? This is NOT an isolated issue believe it. These parts and fenders are mfg. to ultra tight tolerances. They all are the same. If theres is one there are hundreds at least. Unreal, just crazy that BG would release cars knowingly obviously with this damage. Buyer beware.

Explain how you know that..........

YOU DONT............just more paranoia....
Old 05-27-2014, 12:12 AM
airlineman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree until this issue is looked into further buy owners and gm I would be very worried about this one
Old 05-27-2014, 12:26 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

I do find it interesting that BOTH sides of the yellow car were cracked in a similar fashion. That would indicate a design, fitment, or assembly flaw, but it's nothing GM will ever admit to......unless they have to. The adhesive would also indicate that they are aware of it.

I was planning on ordering a Z06, and hopefully the new front fenders are devoid of any such issue. However, I'm a bit less confident of the quality than I was before seeing this.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:35 AM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

For the point of discussion, this MAY be a widespread problem. But the evidence doesn't support that YET. That's my point. Like I said, I'm doing something in June that will require my fenders coming off. At that point, I will see if mine are cracked or not and will report my findings here.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:39 AM
airlineman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I do find it interesting that BOTH sides of the yellow car were cracked in a similar fashion. That would indicate a design, fitment, or assembly flaw, but it's nothing GM will ever admit to......unless they have to. The adhesive would also indicate that they are aware of it.

I was planning on ordering a Z06, and hopefully the new front fenders are devoid of any such issue. However, I'm a bit less confident of the quality than I was before seeing this.
I work repairing composite materials on aircraft for a living looking at these pictures these are stress cracks the attach points were not made strong enough to handle the weight and the flex in the panels from everyday driving definitely a design flaw they need to bond a stainless bracket or add more layers of graphite or kevlar there to reinforce those areas
Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 AM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Common sense will tell you by looking at the pictures and the fact that it''s a small portion of the fender subject to the vibration and stresses of a cars movement that if it's happened several times it's a design flaw. Bound to have some on a new design. Since all fenders are built to the same specifications these aren't isolated occurrences and surely are present in more numbers than reported due to the broken part being hidden. Unfortunately, in business decisions are often based on doing what's best for the bottom line, not what's right. I hope the bean counters don't hold sway on this one. Let's see how GM handles this.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I think all you can reasonably conclude thus far is the parts for some cars were damaged during assembly. Whether or not an undamaged part would crack in normal use is still an open question. Obviously this repair was done during the assembly process and NOT after the car was driven subjecting the part to stress and vibration.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:19 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NSC5
I think all you can reasonably conclude thus far is the parts for some cars were damaged during assembly. Whether or not an undamaged part would crack in normal use is still an open question. Obviously this repair was done during the assembly process and NOT after the car was driven subjecting the part to stress and vibration.
It would appear that the yellow car had no adhesive so the cracks most likely occurred after assembly.....unless, of course, they decided to just ignore it and not add the adhesive.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Given the 13 deaths attributable to GM's delay in fixing a known ignition problem...
Well GM has admitted to 13, but the number of deaths attributed to the ignition issue is far greater than that, well over 300 in fact.

You can expect that number to do nothing but grow and grow, and GM to loose it's *** in law suits, the fine was just the beginning.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:32 PM
CV-4606
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
Explain how you know that..........

YOU DONT............just more paranoia....
I dont know. But what I do know is parts are not mfg for a specific car. ALL parts are interchangeable and mfg to exact standards and measurements. Do you honestly believe the misallignment of these joints/connection points is JUST on two cars? I think it highly unlikely. But- what REALLY bothers me is they put some glue on it and said "good enough for the guy paying 70K for this car.

Last edited by CV-4606; 05-27-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont know. But what I do know is parts are not mfg for a specific car. ALL parts are interchangeable and mfg to exact standards and measurements. Do you honestly believe the misallignment of these joints/connection points is JUST on two cars? I think it highly unlikely. But- what REALLY bothers me is they put some glue on it and said "good enough for the guy paying 70K for this car.
Unfortunately alot of people are OK with that here. I don't get it either.

Look on the bright side, luckily its a car and not eye surgery. But then some may say, you have two eyes, so one is broken, stop complaining.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Wormwood
Pretty pathetic that the car came off the line with a panel like that. Hope GM makes a design change to where that type of damage doesn't happen.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dan12
Unfortunately alot of people are OK with that here. I don't get it either.

Look on the bright side, luckily its a car and not eye surgery. But then some may say, you have two eyes, so one is broken, stop complaining.
Those people are Ok with it because what other choice do they have? Are they going to return the car? GM is not going to check and retrofit every 2014 C7....so you can either hope for the best with the car you purchased or drive yourself crazy being pissed off that you didn't wait.

I'm glad I'm waiting for the Z06, but there are no guarantees a similar or even a non-related issue will arise with any new car. As you said, it's just a car....not life and death. You've just gotta try to enjoy what you have and deal with issues as they arise. I think it sucks that GM will most likely address this issue in the cheapest way possible, but as the story goes, "you knew I was snake when you let me in." Buyer beware.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Those people are Ok with it because what other choice do they have? Are they going to return the car? GM is not going to check and retrofit every 2014 C7....so you can either hope for the best with the car you purchased or drive yourself crazy being pissed off that you didn't wait.

I'm glad I'm waiting for the Z06, but there are no guarantees a similar or even a non-related issue will arise with any new car. As you said, it's just a car....not life and death. You've just gotta try to enjoy what you have and deal with issues as they arise. I think it sucks that GM will most likely address this issue in the cheapest way possible, but as the story goes, "you knew I was snake when you let me in." Buyer beware.
If GM is actually releasing cars off the assembly line with pieces that have been glued back together and I found this on my car, yes GM would be buying it back or I would be talking with lawyers.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ck9887
If GM is actually releasing cars off the assembly line with pieces that have been glued back together and I found this on my car, yes GM would be buying it back or I would be talking with lawyers.
Good luck with that. GM has better lawyers.

Get notified of new replies

To What could possibly have caused this?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Gadfly
Well GM has admitted to 13, but the number of deaths attributed to the ignition issue is far greater than that, well over 300 in fact.

You can expect that number to do nothing but grow and grow, and GM to loose it's *** in law suits, the fine was just the beginning.
"In fact", huh? Since when are facts based on extrapolation and correlation?

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/14/u...on-switch-rec/

S.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was referring more to the people who see this and still say its not a problem get over it. Basically telling you, those fenders are not cracked, you're just being paranoid.

I'd like to know what reasoning they have behind it:

1. Don't care because its not on their car?
2. Figure its in an area where you cant see it so why care?
3. Its only a small number and not theirs so who cares?
4. The old "life is short and you may die next year" so damaged fenders are better than nothing?
5. For the money cracks are acceptable?
6. Very low standards
7. Daily driver and will have all sorts of abuse anyway
8. Blind
9. This cant be true because it was reported on Fox news and I only listen to facts.

Wonder if it was on a visible part of the fender would they consider this a non-issue?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:29 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 972 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Nobody I see here says it's not a problem, but as was said above it seems this forum loves to immediately Jump to the extreme that is on all cars and a huge problem done by a bad design.

We simply don't know that at this point....period.

Quick Reply: What could possibly have caused this?