Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 Constraints Ruin My Dream Car

Old 05-16-2014, 12:50 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
How unfair was it to General Motors that those same small dealers didn't support Corvette in 2012? If small dealers want to ride the wave, then they better do some of the paddling to get there like Kerbeck and MacMulkin did.

The cars are available, but it's not GM's fault that you may have to go to lengths getting one in your driveway. That's your local dealer's fault for not stepping up and working to sell a car that wasn't selling itself like C6 in 2012.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:18 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Bummer on the Z51, but are you really going to track it. You could just as easily add the Z51 sway bars. Re the CF dash, can't you buy it for $500 and install it your self? Saving almost $500.

Think outside the box, or make lenonade out of these lemons.
...plus the oil cooler, trans cooler, drilled rotors, wheels, tires, etc. Z51 is much more than sway bars and a cf dash.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:27 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Either settle for a 2014 base car or wait for a 2015 with the 8-speed automatic you really want. Anyone who's been around these cars for awhile know that every subsequent year after the initial year GM tweaks them just a bit more for the better, except in the 80s - 190hp, really?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:41 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
...plus the oil cooler, trans cooler, drilled rotors, wheels, tires, etc. Z51 is much more than sway bars and a cf dash.
I know I owned one and a TWO Z06's. But I tracked mine so all those parts were needed. But the OP didn't say he was going to track it.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:29 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by dbdave
In defense of the smaller dealers, how does one of them ever develop the necessary 'allocation' if they're never allowed to sell any cars? It would take quite a few years to be able to sell any amount of inventory so they could get the allusive 'allocation'. You would think that GM would allow the ones that are able to get paid orders to get them filled.

I can see dealers not even wanting to sell a Corvette because it's such a hassle.
The way it works is, the dealership large or small can buy all the Corvettes from other dealers they can afford to pay for. Then they in turn sell all those cars and get their allocation numbers increased. It's a big investment and a gamble. But that's how it's done. I know the owners of two of the big guys here in Ca and that's how I know.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have a local Podunk dealer that didn't sell enough Corvettes in 2012 to make the top 900 list of dealers for the first round of allocations. He did make the second round, after they opened the order sheets to all Chevrolet dealers that wanted to shell out the money to sell Corvettes, and he received his first two C7's, both being Z51's, a couple of weeks ago. A Z51 coupe(that sold the next day after he received it) and a Z51 convertible.

Somehow he managed to get two Z51's as his first two C7's, and neither were presold orders to GM.
I have found this also in my area. I know of 5 very small dealers who got allocation for 1-3 cars and were able to order Z-51 and the cars were for stock. Not sold orders.

GM needs to build sold retail orders first before they build stock units with constraint options.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:37 PM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by vetehead
My dealer is one of the small guys. They've been a Chevy/Buick dealership for 79 years. I've had my Z51 on order since mid November. They are having their 6th annual Corvette show this Saturday where there will be over 200 Participants. It's really a big deal for us Corvette guys. BUT GM screws them over by not filling a sold order. Come on GM, fill the GD sold orders.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:04 PM
wilburn205
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C7CorvettePilot
My dealer called today to tell me my order was ready to go into production.......I was thrilled....then he says "But got some bad news...."The Z51 pkg is under constraint and the Carbon Fiber dash is also" Two things I wanted most on the car! I have been waiting since Feb. for the car to move this far. It is absolutely ridiculous that Chevy can advertise these cars to draw people's interest and then can't follow through producing their product! I am pissed and disappointed that Chevy can pull this **** but makes sure the Big Boy dealers like Hendrick, Les Stanford, Kerbeck....are well stocked but the smaller cities get screwed! I have had 5 Corvettes and was looking forward toward number 6 but I'm not sure I will be getting one. New Mustang is gonna get a 2nd look.......
Same story here. I looked around the country and found the same car I had ordered, sitting at a small dealership in Indiana. They had two Z51.
That mustang can never replace this vette, you will regret.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmagicZ
My dealer is one of the small guys. They've been a Chevy/Buick dealership for 79 years. I've had my Z51 on order since mid November. They are having their 6th annual Corvette show this Saturday where there will be over 200 Participants. It's really a big deal for us Corvette guys. BUT GM screws them over by not filling a sold order. Come on GM, fill the GD sold orders.
What is so difficult to understand about GM rewarding dealers who supported them with c6 orders , during lean times, with product allocation now ?

The reasoning behind the allocation process has been discussed numerous times, and isnt going to change.

It seems to be a fairly regular occurrence , on these forums, with cry babies complaining about how they either have to wait too long or cant get their car from some small dealer with poor allocation...

It should be pretty obvious that if you want to actually get a car with regularly constrained options, like the z51 package, a large dealer is the way to go...

Pissing and moaning about big bad GM isnt going to change anything....
Old 05-16-2014, 04:56 PM
StingRaycer
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HummelS
I cancelled Z51 when it went on constraint last year. Moved my production date up by three months. And I have to say, having owned six Z51's from 1999 til this January...This Stingray is every bit the equivalent of those cars, even without the option. Unless you want to be a track hero, forget it, imho.
Actually thats not the case IMO. The Z51 with Magnetic Shocks is a different animal and is a very interconnected car that allows a complete change in personality with the ability for selection of different modes. You choose touring and it rides softer with more compliance and the steering is less direct. When you want it, select Track or Sport and if you are on mountain roads you can get the car handling tighter and steering noticeably more directly just by turning a ****. The ELSD differential is also playing a big part on the mountain roads. The bigger brakes won't come into the equation unless you are tracking it. All that being said, the non Z51 is a hell of car, handles incredibly well and rides with comfort as well so I am NOT dissing the non Z51 cars just pointing out that IMO there is a demonstrable difference.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:22 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a base car, and order the Z51 spoiler. Get a set of slotted rotors, and you have the look. The Z is a track package, and unless you track it, it's really overkill.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:30 PM
XEUROTRASHOWNER
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

you should check out the new BMW M4
Old 05-16-2014, 06:11 PM
David2667
Advanced

I ordered from a small dealer in Feb and he still tried to give me the increase. Canceled the order and went to Les Stanford. I paid less then the original price. Still got my z51 and it is an amazing car!!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:19 PM
SteveSoCal
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts

Go ahead, make my C7 !!

Dirty Harry
Old 05-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Jodyhighroller3
Instructor

Default Z51 Constraints

If your order is already been accepted by GM and are at 3000 how will the constraints affect my tpw ???
Old 05-16-2014, 06:45 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jodyhighroller3
If your order is already been accepted by GM and are at 3000 how will the constraints affect my tpw ???
The constraints will not affect production of a 3000 order barring an act of God such as a sink hole in the middle of the factory, a tornado destroying road access or some other not normal event such as a dealer honoring a customer request to modify the order.

Laborsmith
Old 05-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Jodyhighroller3
Instructor

Originally Posted by laborsmith
The constraints will not affect production of a 3000 order barring an act of God such as a sink hole in the middle of the factory, a tornado destroying road access or some other not normal event such as a dealer honoring a customer request to modify the order.

Laborsmith
After 3000 status you can make changes ?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 Constraints Ruin My Dream Car

Old 05-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Art-2008
Instructor

Originally Posted by SteveSoCal
Go ahead, make my C7 !!

Dirty Harry
Close......how about: "GO AHEAD, MAKE MY STINGRAY!"

Dirty Harry

Last edited by Art-2008; 05-16-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 PM
markk1
Racer

Originally Posted by Jodyhighroller3
After 3000 status you can make changes ?

Thanks
No.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 455230
What is so difficult to understand about GM rewarding dealers who supported them with c6 orders , during lean times, with product allocation now ?
What's so difficult to understand about GM rewarding CUSTOMERS who supported them????

IF THERE ARE NO CUSTOMERS, THE DEALERS DON'T MEAN SH...!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z51 Constraints Ruin My Dream Car