C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What type of cell phone do you own?
iPhone
68.31%
Android
30.60%
Blackberry
2.19%
Windows
2.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Apple CarPlay on Corvette? With 41.4% iOS marketshare in US, it's time.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

I would imagine since Apple owns the higher end smartphone market,

not since the iPhone 3 (if we're strictly talking smartphones)

With 41.4% iOS marketshare in US
that stat includes all iPhones, ipads, iPods, and Newtons ( ) ever sold; not the real world numbers of the past 4-5 years of smartphones

Attachment 48372465

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 05-12-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by KingMotley
As someone whose job it is (partially) to analyze actual phone usage, I can tell you that Nyvetteguy007's analysis is fairly accurate.

iPhone 5s is still the most sold phone in the world.

While there are more android phones sold than iOS based phones, they are typicallly cheap phones that aren't used as smart phones. App purchases for iOS out sell android versions 10:1, in-app purchases are closer to 100:1, and web traffic based on OS type shows this as well. Android users don't browse the web from their phones nearly as much as iOS users on an absolute number, and when looking at the web traffic generated per device type sold it is even worse.

That said, android continues to close the gap, but it is still years (1+) away from dethroning apple in any meaningful way.
What he said...
Old 05-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mdm23
IPhones suck as smartphones
Is that a traditional term used in the cellular industry??
Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 526 Likes on 316 Posts

This thread is awesome.

Instead of it being a pissing match, compare the top end products from Apple and Samsung and see where you end up.

the GS5 is nothing short of amazing. It isn't a smart phone... it is well past that. The capabilities are exceptional and well beyond what Apple is delivering. However with all the power and flexibility it can be overwhelming.

The latest Iphone is fine. It's a device that does less in a more simple fashion. It's locked down like a prison so you literally can't screw it up. That doesn't make it bad. It makes it better for some users. The non technical crowd tends to love them. The crowd that will gladly pay to do something easily Vs. doing it themselves free. The other benefit of Apple devices is because they do less and are far more controlling... they will do less the same way over the life of the product. On Android devices you can count on the device slowing down to a crawl over the lifespan of it.

My background: I'm a developer. I'm actually working on a Win Mobile app right now... I have owned 2 android phones, 2 android tablets, and an IPad.

I use an Android phone because I want the power and flexibility to do what I want, when I want it, how I want it. I have an IPad because I got tired of having to reset my Android tablets after 6 months to a year. I just need a tablet that works without headache because I use it after my brain has shut down for the day while loafing on the sofa. It was a decision to get a product that does less but is more stable for the long haul. It suits my needs better in that environment (if Apple would put in a contextual back button it would be better though).
Old 05-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
This thread is awesome.

Instead of it being a pissing match, compare the top end products from Apple and Samsung and see where you end up.

the GS5 is nothing short of amazing. It isn't a smart phone... it is well past that. The capabilities are exceptional and well beyond what Apple is delivering. However with all the power and flexibility it can be overwhelming.

The latest Iphone is fine. It's a device that does less in a more simple fashion. It's locked down like a prison so you literally can't screw it up. That doesn't make it bad. It makes it better for some users. The non technical crowd tends to love them. The crowd that will gladly pay to do something easily Vs. doing it themselves free. The other benefit of Apple devices is because they do less and are far more controlling... they will do less the same way over the life of the product. On Android devices you can count on the device slowing down to a crawl over the lifespan of it.

My background: I'm a developer. I'm actually working on a Win Mobile app right now... I have owned 2 android phones, 2 android tablets, and an IPad.

I use an Android phone because I want the power and flexibility to do what I want, when I want it, how I want it. I have an IPad because I got tired of having to reset my Android tablets after 6 months to a year. I just need a tablet that works without headache because I use it after my brain has shut down for the day while loafing on the sofa. It was a decision to get a product that does less but is more stable for the long haul. It suits my needs better in that environment (if Apple would put in a contextual back button it would be better though).
As KingMotley mentioned and I neglected to mention, all the best hardware in the world doesn't make ANY difference at all if the majority of the users do not even use the smartphone features....

iOS users are the majority of mobile web users and the majority of users that spend money on Apps and even just spending on web sites in general....the FACTS point out that Android users with all of this great and superior hardware use their "smartphones" as you could use a flip phone before the iPhone invented the smartphone market as we know it today...
Old 05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
This thread is awesome.

First of all, the fact that you are a developer, means nothing in this scenario. I know plenty of smart developers and plenty of idiot ones too. I am not calling you an idiot, but I hate people who use being a developer as some sort of reason why you are an expert on all technology.

But to your point, I also have multiple devices, specifically, both the top of of lines from Apple and Samsung, my personal phone is a iPhone 5S and my work phone a Galaxy S5, I chose the S5 just for comparison's sake.

From the GS5 perspective, it is not "short of amazing" it is actually no better than the iPhone 5S, for every point someone will make about the GS5, there will be a matching point about iOS to prove the counter.

For example:
  • Screen Size: Subjective point, I like the bigger GS5 screen, again subjective.
  • UI Speed: iPhone 5S is faster, it's smoother and more put together
  • Data Speed: GS5, for some reason, the same network is faster on the GS5.
  • FingerPrint: iPhone 5S is more consistent, my iPhone misses my print when I put the wrong finger on it, the GS5 is about 50/50 success rate.
  • Storage: GS5 only if I get the SD Card, but with Android locking down a lot of what can go on the memory card, this is getting less of an issue.
  • Battery Life: iPhone 5S, sure the GS5 has the ultra saving mode, but it basically turns the phone into a mid-90's feature phone, so unless I am in that mode, the iPhone wins.
  • Connectivity: Tie
  • Apps: Tie, both have the big apps, both miss specific apps.
  • Email: GS5, its a bigger screen and it helps.
  • Video: GS5, bigger screen
  • Eco-System: iOS - My iPhone just works in the iOS/OSx eco-system, all I have to do is connect my devices to my iCloud account. For Android, Google is good, but not seamless to the machine level like Apple.

So when you look at it, it's basically a tie. People just seem to "love to hate" Apple or Samsung ... sure Samsung copied Apple, well Apple copied Samsung also, and both copied Microsoft and Xerox.

The iOS/Android war is the same as the OSx/Windows war of the 90's ... in the end, both copies ended up being multi-billion dollar enterprises ... Android is the new Windows ... flexible, but always challenged by that flexibility, iOS is the new OSX, limited to allow people to have a consistent experience.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Well, speaking as someone who has been involved in more 2014 Corvette Stingray sales than anyone else in the country I can tell you that the large majority of our customers have had Android phones. I can also tell you that the majority of our customers are no forum users.

I'm not picking sides here, I'm just giving some useful, real world data for the arguments.

Dave
Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 PM
AP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

not since the iPhone 3 (if we're strictly talking smartphones)
Please define smartphone, there are a lot of phones on the market that run Android, even from Samsung that are not smartphones, that is why graphs like this are misleading. Comparisons need to be at a per model level to be meaningful, again, no brand bias here. I know the Samsung GS5 is outselling the iPhone 5S, to me that is a fair comparison, but the Android numbers include phones like the HTC First, and NEC Terrain, which while insignificant, skew the numbers.

What I want to see is a consistent report of iPhone 5C/5S vs. Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5 + Note 2/3 ... that is a more accurate comparison of the 2 kings of mobile
Old 05-12-2014, 04:28 PM
AP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Well, speaking as someone who has been involved in more 2014 Corvette Stingray sales than anyone else in the country I can tell you that the large majority of our customers have had Android phones. I can also tell you that the majority of our customers are no forum users.

I'm not picking sides here, I'm just giving some useful, real world data for the arguments.

Dave
Dave, I would actually expect this, because there is more to the Corvette demographic than income, to me the Corvette buyer likes mechanical things, likes to tinker, has time to invest in technology, all things that Android does well.

Its the same reason my Corvette owners, and sports car owners in general probably like Android, because its a mind set issue, I see this all the time on some of the watch (Rolex/Omega specifically) sites I am on, those guys are gear heads and tech heads.

For GM, this is a no brainer, stay away from CarPlay, go the universal route, create a Bluetooth 4.0 app that does this for you from the phone, for iOS that means CarPlay, for Android that is custom, but getting into an agreement with either is stupid for a company as big as GM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:40 PM
OperativeXIV
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It says on Carplay's website that they are a committed partner with Carplay. I would assume the Corvette would be one of the first vehicles in the lineup since it's the halo car that gets all the good gadgets.

On the flipside, GM as a whole has partnered with the Open Automotive Alliance To integrate Android into the vehicles as well.

I don't know if this means it'll be in the 2015's (I would bet not since it doesn't seem like much progress has been announced on either front since the initial announcements), but it looks like whichever side of the camp you fall on it'll happen soon.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Apple: overrated stuff made for a legion of uninformed yet fashinonable people

Google: overdesigned and overly complicated stuff made by tech geeks who think they know better.

Windows: Really?

The choice is yours
Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,767 Likes on 4,190 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

All you guys bitching, moaning and complaining......

Survey says (to date) here on CorvetteForum:

iPhone users-85 (69.11%)
Android users-37 (30.08%)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sin City

Google: overdesigned and overly complicated stuff made by tech geeks who think they know better.

The choice is yours
At least I'm fashionable
Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
All you guys bitching, moaning and complaining......

Survey says (to date) here on CorvetteForum:

iPhone users-85 (69.11%)
Android users-37 (30.08%)
Which proves my point through my bitching...
Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,767 Likes on 4,190 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

^^^ Yep, more than DOUBLE of you guys have an iPhone!

Chew on THAT for a while......
Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
^^^ Yep, more than DOUBLE of you guys have an iPhone!

Chew on THAT for a while......
Yeah as we Apple users fashionably type away on this forum from our iPads and iPhones while Android users are trying to figure out how to call someone and wish they still had a flip phone
Old 05-13-2014, 04:13 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
Apple owns higher end customers...so much info on this..... google is your friend...look it up...
That couldn't have been put better. Apple's entire goal is to own you people.

And I must say, you've definitely been owned. LOL

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
Android users want FREE Apps...they don't want to pay for anything compared to Apple users...again...socioeconomics in effect here...developers DONT make as much money on Android app as they do on Apple Apps, which is why the iPhone gets the most innovation on apps etc...

I am totally bored with this argument and am tapping out...I have shown you personal attacks and how Apple users for the most part have more disposable income than Android users..

If you were a marketer looking to sell ANYTHING of high cost, do you want to market to customers living in Newark with a $17,000 average income or those in Manhattan making more??? If you want to see your product odds are you will market to those WITH money...and by and large those are Apple users....

Have a great day...enjoy your Android phone and your C7 (you do have one yes?) I will enjoy my C7 and my 2 iPhones and my iPad that I use to help me run my professional and personal life...

Good lord, you're so condescending and elitist. HAHA

OK, you have ONE good point that Android owners hardly pay for apps. What's your point? That Android owners hardly spend as much money as iPhone owners? If that's your point, you're reaching. That, once again, means NOTHING in this discussion. As I've clearly pointed out, the sales of Corvettes and the income of their owners vs. the sales of iPhones and the income of the owners doesn't directly correlate. So it's a terrible point.

And I doubt you're tapping out. You've said that before and you didn't. Maybe you won't return fire this time because I'm mentioning it, but I'm wondering if you'll be dragged back into this.

And, yes, if you'd read any of my previous posts, I DO own a C7. I bought a loaded Laguna Blue C7 3LT Z51 (with Brownstone Suede interior. Mmmmm... suede. ) I also just picked up a new Spark EV. LOL

Now, tell me, do you have your C7 yet? I would HOPE that after you just gloated about an iPhone and an iPad (as if I care ) you also have an iC7.

As an FYI, you still haven't made a valid point about the correlation between iPhones and C7 ownership.

Originally Posted by HoustonMidtown
Cool starry bra! Here's some newer information from tech journalists.
http://bgr.com/2014/04/24/galaxy-s5-vs-iphone-5s-sales/
http://www.iqmetrix.com/article/2014...nd-infographic
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...he-iphone.html

Originally Posted by HoustonMidtown
You can get a 2 or 3 generation old iPhone for free - not the current models - unlike, for example, the latest Samsung S5 which is available buy one get one free already.
Lawl! Find one place that you can actually get a Galaxy S5 for free, let alone a buy one get one free. I just looked for it. You're either crazy or I'm blind. You can definitely get the S4 for free, but not the S5.

Oh, and as for the current iPhone not being free... I just went to Sprint's website... Low and behold, the current iPhone for free surrounded by the HTC and Samsung. I couldn't have asked for a better picture:
Name:  1BsYIbM.png
Views: 19
Size:  136.9 KB

Originally Posted by AP
First of all, the fact that you are a developer, means nothing in this scenario. I know plenty of smart developers and plenty of idiot ones too. I am not calling you an idiot, but I hate people who use being a developer as some sort of reason why you are an expert on all technology.

But to your point, I also have multiple devices, specifically, both the top of of lines from Apple and Samsung, my personal phone is a iPhone 5S and my work phone a Galaxy S5, I chose the S5 just for comparison's sake.

From the GS5 perspective, it is not "short of amazing" it is actually no better than the iPhone 5S, for every point someone will make about the GS5, there will be a matching point about iOS to prove the counter.

For example:
  • Screen Size: Subjective point, I like the bigger GS5 screen, again subjective.
  • UI Speed: iPhone 5S is faster, it's smoother and more put together
  • Data Speed: GS5, for some reason, the same network is faster on the GS5.
  • FingerPrint: iPhone 5S is more consistent, my iPhone misses my print when I put the wrong finger on it, the GS5 is about 50/50 success rate.
  • Storage: GS5 only if I get the SD Card, but with Android locking down a lot of what can go on the memory card, this is getting less of an issue.
  • Battery Life: iPhone 5S, sure the GS5 has the ultra saving mode, but it basically turns the phone into a mid-90's feature phone, so unless I am in that mode, the iPhone wins.
  • Connectivity: Tie
  • Apps: Tie, both have the big apps, both miss specific apps.
  • Email: GS5, its a bigger screen and it helps.
  • Video: GS5, bigger screen
  • Eco-System: iOS - My iPhone just works in the iOS/OSx eco-system, all I have to do is connect my devices to my iCloud account. For Android, Google is good, but not seamless to the machine level like Apple.

So when you look at it, it's basically a tie. People just seem to "love to hate" Apple or Samsung ... sure Samsung copied Apple, well Apple copied Samsung also, and both copied Microsoft and Xerox.

The iOS/Android war is the same as the OSx/Windows war of the 90's ... in the end, both copies ended up being multi-billion dollar enterprises ... Android is the new Windows ... flexible, but always challenged by that flexibility, iOS is the new OSX, limited to allow people to have a consistent experience.
I actually think this is a good and fair post. I think it's missing some critical points though.
  • The iPhone requires additional hardware purchases to do things Android does to industry standard (i.e. DLNA)
  • AirPlay is definitely easier to use than DLNA.
  • Androids always have the ability to do more by leaps and bounds when compared to same era iPhones.
  • iPhones generally are a lot more efficient with hardware usage.
  • Premium Androids generally get better hardware than iPhones.

There's definitely pros and cons to both. But I absolutely hate hearing two common misconceptions about iPhones vs. Androids:

The first, and most irritating, is that iPhones have better hardware. That's simply not true. Matter of fact, iPhones are usually behind in hardware other than the processor and in some cases it's been behind in even that. When iPhones debut, they're already far behind. 3 generations of iPhones have been released since NFC became popular. And of course, there will be those that state than NFC is useless... That is, until Apple introduces the new revolutionary way to share pictures and music called "iSlice" or something stupid. Just tap your iPhones together and boom! You're yuppy friend has pictures of what you ate last night!

The second I can't stand is that "Apple products 'just work'". Again, that's just another hype-driven ad slogan that is definitely false too. If Apple products didn't have just as many issues as any other product out there, they would be able to stand on that fact alone and declare themselves victors. But they're not and can't. Even with their over-simplified (yet now cluttered) interface and their void of new features, they still have lots of issues. The irony is that the marketing has worked so well, people actually believe it. But as the GOP on capital hill like to say, if you tell a lie over and over, people will believe it.

Now, I will definitely give Apple one very good credit: The iTunes App Store is far superior to Google's. With Apple being a watchful **** over product quality and the "moral compass" for their customers, the apps that are available in the app store are generally of better quality than those of the ones in the Google Play Store.

That being said, even if I didn't despise Apple as a company, I wouldn't own an Apple device for the fact that they're against the freedom of speech and they're anti-business.

Originally Posted by Sin City

The choice is yours
LOL... I have no argument here.

Get notified of new replies

To Apple CarPlay on Corvette? With 41.4% iOS marketshare in US, it's time.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:14 AM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Apple is really the innovator, Samsung (I own the stock) can't release anything people want to buy before Apple defines if for them (smartphone, tablet, watch).

Android is an ad platform for Google, it makes no money, and suffers massive fragmentation: http://gigaom.com/2013/12/04/fragmen...droid-devices/

The strength of the Apple ecosystem is a step apart as is the level of integration. Apple is where the money is, it's really that simple.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
That couldn't have been put better. Apple's entire goal is to own you people.

YOU PEOPLE???

OK, you have ONE good point that Android owners hardly pay for apps. What's your point?

My point is, the Google Play Store and the whole Google ecosystem is flawed because the majority of Android owners don't even know how to check their email on their giant free Phablets let alone download an app or even search the net, why is it if you look at Chitika mobile web usage statistics iOS users by and large use their wonderful devices for so many things online and Android users don't???

And I doubt you're tapping out. You've said that before and you didn't. Maybe you won't return fire this time because I'm mentioning it, but I'm wondering if you'll be dragged back into this.

"I try to get out....and they pull me back in"

And, yes, if you'd read any of my previous posts, I DO own a C7. I bought a loaded Laguna Blue C7 3LT Z51 (with Brownstone Suede interior. Mmmmm... suede. ) I also just picked up a new Spark EV. LOL

oh how nice for you...probably in truth you have a Spark with a Stingray Sticker on it and call it your "C7" (jk)

Now, tell me, do you have your C7 yet? I would HOPE that after you just gloated about an iPhone and an iPad (as if I care ) you also have an iC7.

My 3LT Torch Red C7 before and after I changed the rims to black

As an FYI, you still haven't made a valid point about the correlation between iPhones and C7 ownership.

I never tried to...just stated that a large portion (as continues to be evidenced in this poll) are also Vette owners, just because you have an iPhone doesn't mean you have a Vette it just means if you have a Vette and an iPhone you are just that much cooler:

Oh, and as for the current iPhone not being free... I just went to Sprint's website... Low and behold, the current iPhone for free surrounded by the HTC and Samsung. I couldn't have asked for a better picture:

now now...you know better than that...the 5S is not free....tsk tsk

I actually think this is a good and fair post. I think it's missing some critical points though.

The first, and most irritating, is that iPhones have better hardware. That's simply not true.

I really don't care...the bottom line is with all of that horsepower Android users barely make a phone call

3 generations of iPhones have been released since NFC became popular. And of course, there will be those that state than NFC is useless...

when Apple takes their soon to be 1 BILLION credit card customers (from iTunes) and decides to be the payment and clearing house method of choice they will turn the cellular and cashless payment systems on their heads just watch and see...

The second I can't stand is that "Apple products 'just work'". Again, that's just another hype-driven ad slogan that is definitely false too.

sour grapes because your phone just doesn't work???

Now, I will definitely give Apple one very good credit: The iTunes App Store is far superior to Google's. With Apple being a watchful **** over product quality and the "moral compass" for their customers, the apps that are available in the app store are generally of better quality than those of the ones in the Google Play Store.

BOOM...that just happened!!!

That being said, even if I didn't despise Apple as a company, I wouldn't own an Apple device for the fact that they're against the freedom of speech and they're anti-business.

Now THAT is a ludicrous statement and one I'd really like to see backed up..

Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by onthebottom
Apple is really the innovator, Samsung (I own the stock) can't release anything people want to buy before Apple defines if for them (smartphone, tablet, watch).

Android is an ad platform for Google, it makes no money, and suffers massive fragmentation: http://gigaom.com/2013/12/04/fragmen...droid-devices/

The strength of the Apple ecosystem is a step apart as is the level of integration. Apple is where the money is, it's really that simple.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay on Corvette? With 41.4% iOS marketshare in US, it's time.