Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is with Chevy/Corvette Dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 479 Likes on 258 Posts

Default What is with Chevy/Corvette Dealers?

UPDATE - Bought the car from a Forum dealer - gave away my trade under market, but saved money on the car

Actually, What is it with Chevy/Corvette Dealers?

Let's start with the fact that I have bought 10 new Corvettes in the last 20 years.

I have been trying for the last 2-3 weeks to buy a 2014 Corvette.
I have a High-End Domestic Trade-In that I have been low-balled on by every dealership, low is still doable, but one dealership in particular was $5000-$7000 less than the others.

Unfortunately the lowest dealer is the one that has the car I want in stock.

Now for the rest of the story....

The dealership that has the one I want I drove up on a Saturday (80 miles each way) and did not like the number on my car. So, I brought my other car there that Wednesday, made an appt and got there at 7pm. Had the deal worked out, but then at 9pm they said they could not get an interest rate locked in until the next day and to come back (another 80 miles each way).

I was fed up with them, but all this week I have been trying to work a deal with them on the 1st car, we are only apart by $2000, I have left messages with everybody up through the GM, not even the courtesy of a call back.

Now to the next dealership, they also had a car I wanted, made the deal and headed there (60 miles from home), halfway there they call me and tell me the car is sold (it was ordered for a customer by a salesperson who was fired and the customer was coming in that day).
I stopped there and they offered to buy my car for $7000 more than the 1st dealership, but they would have to order me a car, but then I couldn't lock in financing or GM card points which are currently $3000.

Finally today I am out with my wife, stop at my local dealership on a whim, they just got a car in, I was dressed in t-shirt and jeans on my day off.

Stood in the dealership for 5 minutes, not even a greeting, sales guys were busy shooting the sh-t with each other.

I just turned to my wife, said forget it, and walked out to our Brand new Cadillac SUV.

Is it me????

No I won't mention dealer names, but I live in PA.

Last edited by yell03; 05-10-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:04 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
Let's start with the fact that I have bought 10 new Corvettes in the last 20 years.

I have been trying for the last 2-3 weeks to buy a 2014 Corvette.
I have a High-End Trade-In that I have been low-balled on by every dealership, low is still doable, but one dealership in particular was $5000-$7000 less than the others.

Unfortunately the lowest dealer is the one that has the car I want in stock.

Now for the rest of the story....

The dealership that has the one I want I drove up on a Saturday (80 miles each way) and did not like the number on my car. So, I brought my other car there that Wednesday, made an appt and got there at 7pm. Had the deal worked out, but then at 9pm they said they could not get an interest rate locked in until the next day and to come back (another 80 miles each way).

I was fed up with them, but all this week I have been trying to work a deal with them on the 1st car, we are only apart by $2000, I have left messages with everybody up through the GM, not even the courtesy of a call back.

Now to the next dealership, they also had a car I wanted, made the deal and headed there (60 miles from home), halfway there they call me and tell me the car is sold (it was ordered for a customer by a salesperson who was fired and the customer was coming in that day).
I stopped there and they offered to buy my car for $7000 more than the 1st dealership, but they would have to order me a car, but then I couldn't lock in financing or GM card points which are currently $3000.

Finally today I am out with my wife, stop at my local dealership on a whim, they just got a car in, I was dressed in t-shirt and jeans on my day off.

Stood in the dealership for 5 minutes, not even a greeting, sales guys were busy shooting the sh-t with each other.

I just turned to my wife, said forget it, and walked out to our Brand new Cadillac SUV.

Is it me????

No I won't mention dealer names, but I live in PA.
Hope their initials aren't R.T? If you want a vette go to Kerbeck man they will take good care of you down there, unless you are talking about Kerbeck being 81 miles away . Whereabout in Bucks are you? I lived in Fairless hills before moving to Vegas for a job but miss PA.

But then again I didn't have a trade in so that may change the experience.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:06 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I feel your pain. As someone who trades a lot, I get the same thing from some dealers. Forget them and find another dealer.
Many of the forum dealers can work out a deal over the phone. If it's good enough, it makes it worth the trip. Keep looking. You'll find a good dealer to do business with. Try calling some of our forum dealers, too.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:14 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to ALLOCATION LAND!!!! I live is So, Fla and was 43 on a list back in Feb. Ended up in the middle of the state and placed an order in Feb. Just got word I should receive week of the 11th May
Old 05-08-2014, 03:16 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by air86
Hope their initials aren't R.T? If you want a vette go to Kerbeck man they will take good care of you down there, unless you are talking about Kerbeck being 81 miles away . Whereabout in Bucks are you? I lived in Fairless hills before moving to Vegas for a job but miss PA.

But then again I didn't have a trade in so that may change the experience.
Actually R.T. was great to deal with, offered me $5000 more than 1st dealership, but they don't have one in stock. RT offered to pay my car off now and order one, but I don't want to wait.
I live about 30 minutes from Fairless Hills.

Originally Posted by arcticblast
I feel your pain. As someone who trades a lot, I get the same thing from some dealers. Forget them and find another dealer.
Many of the forum dealers can work out a deal over the phone. If it's good enough, it makes it worth the trip. Keep looking. You'll find a good dealer to do business with. Try calling some of our forum dealers, too.
I have tried 4 dealerships so far, this has been a brutal experience.
When I bought my Porsche 911 I was treated great, same with my Viper GTS and AMG Mercedes. My Cadillac was a great experience also, maybe a Vette is just a Chevy???

All the other Vettes I have bought I was always treated great, my 2005 Vert in 2005 was one of the 1st ones, gave me a great trade value and was a great experience.

I have owned a 1975, 1992, 1993, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2007 Z06, and a 2011. Obviously the 1975 I did not buy new as I was only 12.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:17 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fredl11
Welcome to ALLOCATION LAND!!!! I live is So, Fla and was 43 on a list back in Feb. Ended up in the middle of the state and placed an order in Feb. Just got word I should receive week of the 11th May
I would love to order one, but I want a guaranteed finance rate and my $3000 off from GM card, neither of which can be locked in.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:18 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I pretty much have heard that the big forum dealers would rather not mess with trades if they can avoid it (or get it for lots of $$$ under market). They especially don't want high end/exotic trades that are hard to flip. I tried to trade a C5 once at a forum dealer and found my local dealer beat the trade offer by over $6k.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:23 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by BigJoe
I pretty much have heard that the big forum dealers would rather not mess with trades if they can avoid it (or get it for lots of $$$ under market). They especially don't want high end/exotic trades that are hard to flip. I tried to trade a C5 once at a forum dealer and found my local dealer beat the trade offer by over $6k.
Most don't want to trade. But Stasek Chevrolet in Chicago took a chance on mine one time. After they saw how I take care of my cars, they usually offer a good trade in value. Since then, I've bought two more Corvettes from them and they always give me thousands more trade in. I bought three new Vettes there in four years. Makes it worth my while to drive 1000 miles to trade.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:26 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BigJoe
My trade is not an exotic, it is a 2011 Shelby GT500 convertible in beautiful condition.
KBB is $38,500, but there is a previous accident on the carfax.
I have been offered $25K by the lowest dealer, and the 2 other dealers were at $30K and $32K.
I understand the accident lowers the value and I am actually willing to meet somewhere near the middle give or take of $25K and $32K.

Last edited by yell03; 05-08-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

MSRP, trade in allowance? C7s are selling and dealers do not have to cater to customers. If you want a C7 it will cost you. All Chevrolet advertizing mentions that sale specials do not include Corvettes. Corvette dealers in Central Pa have cars available. Goggle them.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:31 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Larry/car
MSRP, trade in allowance? C7s are selling and dealers do not have to cater to customers. If you want a C7 it will cost you. All Chevrolet advertizing mentions that sale specials do not include Corvettes. Corvette dealers in Central Pa have cars available. Goggle them.
I should probably wait until the 15s come out, the 14s will drop in value like they always do at year end, $8k off coupes and 12K off verts.
Or wait for a 15 and get the 8 speed automatic
Old 05-08-2014, 03:35 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticblast
Hmmm... Got my WORST trade offer from a forum dealer. Ended up selling the C6 myself for $16K more. All of the vette dealers now are too well fed and many have attitudes (as you have seen). I have found some forum dealers to be more receptive than others...keep trying and good luck!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:38 PM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I should probably wait until the 15s come out, the 14s will drop in value like they always do at year end, $8k off coupes and 12K off verts.
Good plan! Looks like there will be some good deals on verts by end of summer. I specifically stepped up my timetable because of the "threat" of the 8 spd auto. Have not driven one that I would own.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

This is what I'm doing......first, I just sold my 2013 GT500 privately at a staggering $400 loss (lol). I doubt you'll find many good trade offers on that car right now. I don't know how you wanna finance, but I have a 1.75% rate locked in for 3 months with my bank. I ordered a Z51 From Les Stanford in MI and am getting supplier discount. That is over $6000 off MSRP. Patience is the key. I'm not very patient but I wasn't gonna give my money to some butthole dealer who wasn't willing to work with me. And since the C7 came out, there seems to be an abundance of those.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,118 Likes on 6,190 Posts

Your GM card points will be just as good later as they are now, so that is not an issue. Finance rates are not likely to change much in the next couple of months. That is a slight risk you may have to take.

There is a forum dealer in the Detroit area that is accepting GMS and GMU (Employee and Supplier pricing) - better than your $3k GM card earnings.

Coupes (especially Z51) are hard to find on dealer lots and there is not much discounting going on (plenty of over MSRP being asked). Convertibles are a little easier to find and more discounting is available on them.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:49 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Good plan if you are looking to buy used, I doubt you will see 8K off new '14s, but you never know. Waiting is usually the best thing to do..

As far as dealers go, been buying new cars for over 30 years, usually one or two a year. And IMO 99% of all car dealers suck no matter what the sign says
Old 05-08-2014, 03:52 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by beepster
Hmmm... Got my WORST trade offer from a forum dealer. Ended up selling the C6 myself for $16K more. All of the vette dealers now are too well fed and many have attitudes (as you have seen). I have found some forum dealers to be more receptive than others...keep trying and good luck!
will do

Originally Posted by beepster
Good plan! Looks like there will be some good deals on verts by end of summer. I specifically stepped up my timetable because of the "threat" of the 8 spd auto. Have not driven one that I would own.
I actually have found a vert that I want now, but the dealer is too well fed as you mentioned.

Originally Posted by Mdm23
This is what I'm doing......first, I just sold my 2013 GT500 privately at a staggering $400 loss (lol). I doubt you'll find many good trade offers on that car right now. I don't know how you wanna finance, but I have a 1.75% rate locked in for 3 months with my bank. I ordered a Z51 From Les Stanford in MI and am getting supplier discount. That is over $6000 off MSRP. Patience is the key. I'm not very patient but I wasn't gonna give my money to some butthole dealer who wasn't willing to work with me. And since the C7 came out, there seems to be an abundance of those.
All true!!!

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Your GM card points will be just as good later as they are now, so that is not an issue. Finance rates are not likely to change much in the next couple of months. That is a slight risk you may have to take.

There is a forum dealer in the Detroit area that is accepting GMS and GMU (Employee and Supplier pricing) - better than your $3k GM card earnings.

Coupes (especially Z51) are hard to find on dealer lots and there is not much discounting going on (plenty of over MSRP being asked). Convertibles are a little easier to find and more discounting is available on them.
Actually, GM card is usually $1000 off on Vettes, $3000 is rare and my bet is it will go back to $1000 when the 15s come out.

I would actually order a 14 if a dealer would guarantee to suck up the $2000 if it drops to $1000 before the car comes in

Get notified of new replies

To What is with Chevy/Corvette Dealers?

Old 05-08-2014, 03:57 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kp
Good plan if you are looking to buy used, I doubt you will see 8K off new '14s, but you never know. Waiting is usually the best thing to do..

As far as dealers go, been buying new cars for over 30 years, usually one or two a year. And IMO 99% of all car dealers suck no matter what the sign says
It is not the fact that a deal cannot be made that bothers me, but the lack of a call back or common courtesy just blows my mind.

This country faces serious problems with this, too many people facebooking/texting/e-mailing/talking on cell phones at work rather than working.

Being the owner of a business I see this every day.

By the way, I am not working right now, I am home, but then again, I am the boss!
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

What are you looking for? Coupe or Convertible? Color, Transmission??
Old 05-08-2014, 04:07 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
What are you looking for? Coupe or Convertible? Color, Transmission??
Convertible or Coupe
White, Yellow, or Red
Automatic

Really prefer a Base car, no options necessary.
NPP would be nice, but not a deal breaker if it is not so equipped.

Quick Reply: What is with Chevy/Corvette Dealers?