Sponsored by:

C7 ZO6/ZO7 vs Camaro Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts
Default C7 ZO6/ZO7 vs Camaro Z28?

Here's my dilemma. I'm getting a ZO6/ZO7 but I will wait until 2016 to get it. I don't want a first year car. I plan to keep this car for 10-15 years then hand it down to my son. I'll be in my 70's then, maybe he'll let me borrow it once in a while

I was thinking about getting a Z28 also. I've owned Camaros/TranAms and Vettes previously and enjoyed them both.

I know they are bringing out a new Camaro, I think 2016. This Z28 has the same engine as the outgoing ZO6. It also has the NEW brakes of the ZO6 along with different suspension, etc...

Braking on the Z28 was 60-0 MPH in 97 feet

At first I was thinking about buying the Z28 because it would be a great track car, but then I started evaluating both rides.

The Camaro weighs 3,800+ lbs. I'm not sure what the new Z will weigh but I'm guessing 3,300+ lbs.

The Camaro will have about a 125 less HP, along with 500+ pounds more in weight.

Is there any way this New Z28 could beat a stock ZO7 on a track course?

I know in the quarter the Z will smoke it. Camaro was tested at 4.0 seconds 0-60MPH and 12.3 @ 117mph in the quarter mile.

If indeed the Camaro would lose to the ZO7 on a road course then why buy it other than Collectability and the Cool factor???

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...28-test-drive/

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 05-05-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:23 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

There's no gaurantee the Z28 will ever be collectable to the point of being worth more than you paid for it. If that ever does happen it's a long time off. As you already know there's no way the Z28 keeps up with the Z06/Z07 on a track. Chevrolet seems to be trying to flood the market with Camaros, which all look pretty much the same to most people. The dealer I bought my C7 from has a couple of C7s and close to 30 Camaros on the lot right now.

I love driving my C7. I hated driving the Camaros that I've rented a few times. YMMV.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Are you actually going to be tracking the car such that the lap times make any difference whatsoever? It seems like lap times are you sole determining factor for making a decision.
S.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:30 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

No dis-respect but a camaro over a corvette - no brainer corvette is in a different league
Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by rsvette12
No dis-respect but a camaro over a corvette - no brainer corvette is in a different league
No, I'm definitely getting the ZO7.

But I am also thinking about adding the Z28.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by Snorman
Are you actually going to be tracking the car such that the lap times make any difference whatsoever? It seems like lap times are you sole determining factor for making a decision.
S.
I will be taking my ZO7 to the track, but my son wants to track the Z28 should I get it.

If the Z28 does not beat the ZO7 in any way shape or form then I can not justify in my mind why I would buy the Z28.

I could care less about the collectability because "if" indeed I do get the Z28 that car will be DRIVEN hard, like all my cars. As far as I know most cars that are driving hard do not have great resale.

Neither car will be Garage "Queens".

In addition Chevy is making 3,000 Z28s. I'm too old to hang around to see if this car appreciates in value
Old 05-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

lol...okay.
S.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Oh got yah - great news - good luck
Old 05-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by rsvette12
I would NEVER choose a Z28 Camaro over a ZO7 if it were my ONLY car.

In 2002 I bought a Red TransAm WS6, last year for "F" bodies (so they said).

My ex-wife said Why The F*** did you buy a kids car?

I replied, because it's the last year for TransAms and it has a Corvette engine, that's why.

She said, you're too old to be seen in a TransAm.

I used to put my kids in the backseat and take them to the beach and get ice cream on the way back. No way can do with my Vette.

I beat the hell out of that car, massive burnouts with my manual 6 speed and I taught my son and daughter how to drive a Stick with that car. Now both my kids are gearheads, I think my daughter is the worst. She has a lead foot, loves speed. I blame it on that TransAm

Maybe that's why my then wife is now my Ex and I can get any F'n car I want
Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

"Maybe that's why my then wife is now my Ex and I can get any F'n car I want "

Yup I was thinking the same thing lol - good one
Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 PM
SnipeUout
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ground up a Base Z51 Vette is a better car then the Z28! Now I know you said Z07 vs Z28 but look at like this.

Front to rear, top to bottom, inside to out a corvette was designed to be a true sports car! The Camaro is a muscle car. Sure its got massive brakes, a big engine and magnetic ride but in reality they are IMO polishing a turd!

The Power to weight is better on a vette!
The aerodynamics are better on a vette!
The Center of gravity is better on a Vette!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Brunotheboxer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you got the cash flow why not get both cars. I'm in the minority here but I love the z28. I have only read about one complaint so far and I've read everything about it. It could use more power in the straights. This car will definitely hold it's own against the c7 z51 around the track and most likely beat it. No way it's going to beat the zo6.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Brunotheboxer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SnipeUout
Ground up a Base Z51 Vette is a better car then the Z28! Now I know you said Z07 vs Z28 but look at like this.

Front to rear, top to bottom, inside to out a corvette was designed to be a true sports car! The Camaro is a muscle car. Sure its got massive brakes, a big engine and magnetic ride but in reality they are IMO polishing a turd!

Literally not one thing you stated is true about the z28. Stop drinking koolaid and do some research before you knock a car.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Are you aware

Originally Posted by SnipeUout

That the Z28 put a pretty good licking on a GTR on the twistees?
In the 1/4 the GTR smoked it but that was expecte
Old 05-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

I've got a Z51 C6 and a ZL1 Camaro. I like the ZL1 and love the Vette. It's not the Z28 but with 580hp it has tons of power... Problem is you can't put the power to the road. It feels like a slug when the "nanny controls" are turned on and it spins and slides when turned off.

As good as the ZL1 is... And it's VERY good... The Vette rides better, handles better, feels more powerful (even though it isn't) and outperforms the Camaro in every way but one...

The only reason I'm even considering keeping the Camaro is the back seat. With the Camaro I can go for a ride with my wife and bring my dog along... With the Vette my wife has to stay at home

Putting the ZL1 up for sale later this month.

Honestly the Z28 won't change the equation... And I'm seriously thinking that once the ZL1 sells I may just order a Z06 to replace it.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Had Z28's in the late 60"s, it was a cool car, wish I still had it. But I see no reason to buy a new one, it is a purpose built car so street use will be awkward at best. Like the Mustang Laguna Seca option, not a good street car. The Z06/Z07 will be a little more comfortable as the interior is based on the Stingray's. With the comp seats it should be very comfy on the street, ride better, look better and sure as heck be WAY better on the track.
Honestly think that it would be a waste of money,time and effort. Although it is still a cool car.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

I love the concept of the Z/28 even though I am not a fan of the latest F-body and if I find myself in a windfall situation in the future, I could see myself buying both cars. I think that a well driven Z/28 will beat a less-than-well-driven Z06. The fact that the Z/28 can get smoked by the GTR and the Porsche in a straight, and then come back and lay down the fastest road course lap times speaks volumes.

It will be slower than the Z06 but there is no shame in that. In my experience, most lapping days are untimed, anyway, so what's the big deal? If lap times are really that important, buy a Radical and you'll beat everything that's street legal.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 ZO6/ZO7 vs Camaro Z28?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:40 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I don't understand what the dilemma is if you're planning on buying both.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer
Literally not one thing you stated is true about the z28. Stop drinking koolaid and do some research before you knock a car.
He's actually not entirely wrong.
The Camaro, like the Mustang, is based on a unibody platform that wasn't really designed to support the power some of the models are making. GM and Ford compensate by putting on some upgraded suspension parts, a beefy drivetrain and big brakes and wheels/tires.
You're a GT500 owner, and you really don't want to hear that it's a souped up Mustang, but that's really what it is. It's not meant to denigrate the GT500, but it wasn't really developed with the goals in mind that the C7 was.
But all that being said, I love my GT500. I like to call it the "sledgehammer". I pound the daylights out of it at the track and it comes back for more every day, every session...well...except for the brakes sometimes (which I remedied today with a set of 2-piece Racing Brake rotors front and rear). It's a great car, it really is...and I hope Ford doesn't abandon the monster horsepower approach to an SVT/GT500/Cobra/Whatever in the '15 and beyond. But it's not a tool like the C7, or more defined and performance-geared platforms.

S.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Snorman
He's actually not entirely wrong.
The Camaro, like the Mustang, is based on a unibody platform that wasn't really designed to support the power some of the models are making. GM and Ford compensate by putting on some upgraded suspension parts, a beefy drivetrain and big brakes and wheels/tires.
You're a GT500 owner, and you really don't want to hear that it's a souped up Mustang, but that's really what it is. It's not meant to denigrate the GT500, but it wasn't really developed with the goals in mind that the C7 was.
But all that being said, I love my GT500. I like to call it the "sledgehammer". I pound the daylights out of it at the track and it comes back for more every day, every session...well...except for the brakes sometimes (which I remedied today with a set of 2-piece Racing Brake rotors front and rear). It's a great car, it really is...and I hope Ford doesn't abandon the monster horsepower approach to an SVT/GT500/Cobra/Whatever in the '15 and beyond. But it's not a tool like the C7, or more defined and performance-geared platforms.

S.
Spot on. I get asked a lot how similar our Vette (had a C6 coupe before the C7) and our '12 Shelby GT500 SVT are. I tell people that the Vette is a sports car and the Shelby is a muscle car. They are very different cars with very different strengths and weaknesses. They're both awesome cars but in very different ways.

Quick Reply: C7 ZO6/ZO7 vs Camaro Z28?