C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I play my music from my iPhone thru Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:32 AM
gkgeiger
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I play my music from my iPhone thru Bluetooth?

I had a vehicle recently that I could play my music library thru Blutooth, no hard wire. Can this be done on the C7 2LT radio? I don't have the car yet. Thanks,
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 AM
S/C 5.0
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes
Old 05-08-2014, 08:36 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, you can, but if you do you should hook your IPhone to a mobile charger as BT often runs batteries down faster than almost every other function of the phone. I advise you to just consider using an SDcard or a USB flash drive and be done with it.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Seapar
Racer

I plug my phone in the armrest and that's how it can play pandora/ iTunes music, etc. also keeps phone charged btw
Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 AM
gkgeiger
Instructor

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:38 AM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Seapar
I plug my phone in the armrest and that's how it can play pandora/ iTunes music, etc. also keeps phone charged btw
And, if you care about quality and take the time to use a high sample rate and a lossless protocol then you want to direct connect it. Bluetooth connection is not high quality.

If everything above is Greek to you then using bluetooth streaming will be just fine.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:04 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Or for $10, go buy a 16 GB SD card and no need to use your phone or iPod...
Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Drains power like crazy though in the Iphone. Best thing to do is put it in the center armest and plug it into the USB.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by gkgeiger
I had a vehicle recently that I could play my music library thru Blutooth, no hard wire. Can this be done on the C7 2LT radio? I don't have the car yet. Thanks,
Hey there,

The forum members are correct! For future reference, the “Bluetooth” section is on page 5-47 of your owner’s manual. Let me know if you have any further questions. Have a great day!

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-08-2014, 12:39 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Battery drain streaming bluetooth isnt that bad, streaming music/talk shows using cell data is a battery sucker - but I still do it a lot and never plug it in for short trips.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:42 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
And, if you care about quality and take the time to use a high sample rate and a lossless protocol then you want to direct connect it. Bluetooth connection is not high quality.
No longer true. aptX / A2DP Bluetooth offers CD-level (44.1KHz) resolution capability. The trick is finding devices that support it, and both the car and device have to support for that to work. I know Mercedes/ Porsche-Audi have it and support firmware upgrades. Not sure about the C7.

iOS / Apple do not officially support advanced BT protocols, but everyone expects that to change shortly, and if not will be supported by iOS 8. Samsung G and HTC both have aptX capability.

And even regular BT is MUCH better than it used to be. Minimum 256kbps MP3, which, while still lossy, will be fine for most under any circumstance. In a car environment, where there is a high level of effective audio compression due to background noise, the extra resolution may not matter to many.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:13 PM
gkgeiger
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies. When I did this in my Motorhome I always had it on charge. Anyway, I took some of your advise and put all my music on a memory stick.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 PM
SJVET
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gkgeiger
Thanks for all the replies. When I did this in my Motorhome I always had it on charge. Anyway, I took some of your advise and put all my music on a memory stick.
If you plug your iPhone into one of the USB ports to charge, you can then have complete control over your playlists, albumins, etc. Even album art shows up. You select the iPhone just like you do with Media. Bluetooth does not do this. I have an older model iPhone (in airplane mode) that was replaced sitting behind the screen plugged into the USB port. Everything works and I don't have to manage the creation of playlists, dumping to USB, etc. My library at home is all lossless, but iTunes allows you to create other versions automatically when you sync. USB and SD cards work great if you don't change things very often in your library. SJ
Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
No longer true. aptX / A2DP Bluetooth offers CD-level (44.1KHz) resolution capability. The trick is finding devices that support it, and both the car and device have to support for that to work. I know Mercedes/ Porsche-Audi have it and support firmware upgrades. Not sure about the C7.

iOS / Apple do not officially support advanced BT protocols, but everyone expects that to change shortly, and if not will be supported by iOS 8. Samsung G and HTC both have aptX capability.

And even regular BT is MUCH better than it used to be. Minimum 256kbps MP3, which, while still lossy, will be fine for most under any circumstance. In a car environment, where there is a high level of effective audio compression due to background noise, the extra resolution may not matter to many.
Absolutely true but like you said, it's difficult, if not impossible to know if all the devices you are using support the new standards. Personally, I don't use my phone, I have an iPod mini (4th Gen) that I rotate between my cars and bike using the USB connection. MyLink works very well managing the interface. I've found the BT interface to be clunky and not ready for prime time with the iPhone.

I would do a flash drive but it's easier to just manage all our music through iTunes considering I can access mine and my wife's playlists on 9 separate devices (2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 iPods, 2 Mac's and Apple TV) and they all stay in sync.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:31 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
I've found the BT interface to be clunky and not ready for prime time with the iPhone.

I would do a flash drive but it's easier to just manage all our music through iTunes considering I can access mine and my wife's playlists on 9 separate devices (2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 iPods, 2 Mac's and Apple TV) and they all stay in sync.
Same boat here. Entire CD collection ripped in apple lossless on itunes. It's a shame about BT support on the iphone, but iOS8 will adress that. Luckily for me, BT on the Mercedes works great (cabled connection not so good). It is good to have choices.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I play my music from my iPhone thru Bluetooth?

Quick Reply: Can I play my music from my iPhone thru Bluetooth?