C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 owner takes 2500 mile trip in the C7, my review.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Default C6 owner takes 2500 mile trip in the C7, my review.

Having a 2005 Corvette and now having spent some quality time behind the wheel of my C7, below are my thoughts about the C7

Let me start by stating that I purchase Corvettes for their performance, ability to drive comfortably on long trips and just being fun to drive. Least I forget they get incredible gasoline mileage too. Driving a Corvette always puts a smile on my face. I have a Night Race Blue 1LT with the A6 & NPP

If any of you have driven in a mid year Corvette the C7 reminds you of it, as you look out the rear. Yes, the visibility sucks but I doubt any of us buy a Corvette to look out the rear window.

Here are some of the neat improvements I found over my C6 which btw I still have and enjoy.

Cap less fueling for those us who come from the two previous generations the gasoline cap was forever an issue. The caps continually broke,even after Chevy replaced them. I always carried an extra.

The gas door does not need to be opened from the inside ofthe car as the C6 did and it locks when you lock the car

The new Michelin tires provide a quieter ride and more grip.

A smaller steering wheel and real paddles for the A6 transmission

The center console and cup holder no longer “cook” their contents as with the C6 it would keep your morning coffee warm all day and melt anything soft.

Your feet would bake on a very hot day in the C6 unless you kept the air conditioning on and picked the bottom setting. The C7 was cooler on my feet even in the hot Florida sun.

There are metal D rings in the hatch area to tie down stuff.

The performance is much improved over my 2005 1SA LS2 A4 with 3.15 gears.

The handling was impressive for a car without a rear swaybar and much improved over my C6

The button above the rear license plate to open the rear hatch is larger and easier to operate.

The door continues to unlock several times as you press the pad making it much easier to enter the car

The sun visors while smaller now slide to cover the top of the side windows.

The cruise control buttons are now on the steering wheel rather than the turn signal lever on the column.

The vents utilized to cool the automatic transmission are more efficient because the C7 transmission temps were lower that that of my C6 when it was in stock form.

While the mpg on my stock LS2 on a similar trip recorded ahigh of 30 mpg, the C7 recorded 32 mpg. This is driving through Georgia, South & North Carolina with the cruise set to 77 mph, some of the time, two people inthe car with the rear totally full of stuff (back window almost covered) and with no less than ¾ tank of gasoline at any one time. Looking at the best 50 mile average it recorded a best of 35.2 mpg and a low of 16.5 mpg in bumper to bumper traffic. Once you pass 80 mph for any extended period of time (Florida) the mpg decreased to 26 mpg.

We all know about the improvements to the interior. The infotainment system is much improved over the C6.The seats hold you better, the materials are better and I could go on.I am sure that some of you will add to the list above as these are some of the items that I noticed as I became more acquainted with the car.

Here are some items that still need a bit of tweaking:
Hopefully someone from GM will see this thread and take notes. Please note not all of you may agree with some/any of the items below:

Yes mine has orange peel but so did my C6. I list it here, because it is the one continual negative comment that I hear from people who see the car.” Beautiful color but why does it look wavy & etc……. Well at least the fit on my C7 was better than on my C6.

Slamming the hatch to close it, GM should have programmed the windows to index down when the hatch is open and index up after it closes.

The hatch release should be recessed as it was in the C6 so you do not hit it as you exit the car. I can not count the times I hit that damn button with my knee exiting the car.

I have given up with using a USB and use my I pod, yet from time to time even with the Ipod attached the display indicates no device attached.

When the back up camera is on you can not adjust the volume of the radio.

The side mirrors do not automatically fold back like many ofthe other new cars. I can not count the times I found my C6 mirror twisted outward or back because someone brushed by it; so far so good with the C7.

I have played around with some of the drive settings but driving on route 95 at speed only allows you to play in Virginia where as you sit for hours in traffic. So if I misstate something please correct me:

Driving modes:

Why do we have five driving modes? Think about this, the A6 default is always in eco mode, do we have eco just because the M7 does not default to it.

I tried the weather mode, no luck it the car still got wet and it was still raining after the dash indicated I was in weather mode . I guess Corvettes don’t really melt in very heavy rain. Maybe this mode was intended for those who have never driven a performance car.

Why do we need a weather mode? I live in the north east and have driven my Corvette in all types of weather I use the “common sense mode”drive carefully in bad weather. Regardless of weather mode if you do something stupid in the rain, snow or ice the weather mode, traction control & etc.will not suspend the laws of physics.

In cooler temperatures the rear tires will spin if you are not easy on the”go pedal”. Conversely if you nail it with the front tires turned in any direction other than straight, be prepared to spin. Worn tires, incorrectly inflated tires and etc. all affect how the car handles. If a C7 is your first performance car maybe you need “driver modification” mod rather than driving modes or maybe it is time for the radar adjusted cruise control and the whole none yards of nannies to go with the driving modes.

Being a gear head I would enjoy fast, stupid fast and ludicrous speed modes as the C7 is a rear wheel performance car. All kidding aside why we are making it more complicated to go fast. What ever happened to keep it simple stupid, there has to an easier way; let’s not complicate the driving experience with many driving modes for those who need them and will never utilize them….. . suggestions please.

I tried touring, sport and track modes nailing it from a roll entering Route 95 you could hear the difference in track mode. There were two exceptions whereas the car hesitated in touring mode. It was warm; the tires were warm so I doubt I spun the rears. It may have been an anomaly yet I think a trip to the local drag strip is necessary to insure that there is no material difference in performance or a problem with my car.

I am not a big fan of the shift extensions. The car wants to go and you may only want a quick burst of speed to pass and then slow down. I rather drive the car than have the car drive for me. If GM wants a shift extension for rev matching on the A6 then add a button just for that function.

The dash displays:

Touring mode:
In the information mode it displays a big I in a circle.What a waste of space, utilizing that space could save you the trouble of clicking on a menu.

Sport mode
Why not have more gauges available in the pocket instead oftwo. I would like to see the same four as on my C6. The choice of scrolling for the transmission temp & etc. would be selected on the steering wheel. I see from a recent post that there will be changes for 2015 …..YES

Track mode:
The display does not indicate a digital readout but white back lit lines. I drag race and I would rather see a digital read out of theactual number. I need to know the actual temperatures as I approach the line and you really have other things to concentrate on rather than scrolling through a menu of different items.

Moderation and new technology are wonderful but lest not forget about utility. We all use computers, smart phones and etc. but while you are driving your main emphasis should be on driving and not operating technology. This is why I opted for the 1LT purist version of the C7.

Just as there are short cut keys on computers the displays should be quick to access. It only takes a couple of seconds to get distracted and have a problem. I would suggest more customization just as the windows desk top & etc. can be customized so should the Corvette display. Yes I know the “hud” is available but for me it was a distraction so I rather have a one click to display option.

Sound management.
If you check the off box NPP is now open all the time. Well mine remains open for a while and then closes. There is a thread in the performance section that addresses this issue.

Space utilization, the C7 is larger and has more space. The usable space is some what smaller than the C6 as the rear hatch comes in with the side windows as well as having a flat rear window versus round for the C6 so you get less stuff in the rear. The wife is not so happy ……..I am not that upset about this one

This is one was on me as I polished and buffed the car apiece of the cloth caught the plastic sting ray tail and it bent. Definitely my error as one was much better glued to the car. Why GM placed cheap plastic on the car is beyond me as in the warmer climates it may be easy for someone to grab a souvenir. (think older MB hood ornaments)

Here is one item which was annoying:

I have stated this before and I’ll state it again.

The seats are not as adjustable as the C6 one size does not fit all. The seat belt continually dislodged itself from the retainer on the seat. I read the manual (section 3-3) where it states the seat belts need to be worn properly so the seat will only recline so much. I have also driven in other 2014 vehicles and their seats fully recline so I am not happy with the adjustability of the new C7 seats.

My wife and I are small and the seat belt really becomes a problem once you are in the car for an extended period of time. It became so uncomfortable I had to place it under my arm. Before any of you comment may I remind you “walk a mile in my shoes” We followed the instructions in the manual and tried various positions to no avail.

The seat belt really holds you it feels as if I were in a racing seat with a five point harness. I am wondering if there is too much tension on the belts see photo of mark on seat belt at the bottom.

My conclusion

The C7 while being more modern and improved may have gone abit too European with driving modes. We whipped their butts at the track withthe C5, C6 and now with the C7. The Corvette is an American Icon and not a European clone, do not diminish that fact by following; rather set the standard for the competition.

Complicating the driving experience takes away the fun factor. Who wants to be a slave totechnology, it is there to enhance the experience not complicate it. I think GM needs to refine the software, displays and etc. just as Microsoft did with each new version of windows.

Overall the car is everything that I expected; yes it is a“keeper” just like my C6. I have received positive comments with regard to its styling, interior and etc. yet many younger individuals (early twenties &teenagers) did not recognize it as the new Corvette. Seems crazy to me but GM still has more work to get Corvette out there to the younger generation.

Hopefully my comments will be taken in the spirit typed.

Thank you

Attached Images  

Last edited by Tommy D; 05-05-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:04 AM
SoCalC7
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 70 Posts

Great info. I get what you're saying but I don't find anything complicated about driving mine. I found the mode I like, and I "set it and forget it".

Seems OK to have "options" for the people who want/need them.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

From what I have experienced from the limited mileage I have accumulated. There is a lot of C6 in the C7, more refined! Definately a tighter suspension system, my base C7 keeps the wheels to the ground, has the same feel as my C6 did with magnetic ride. Amazed, thought I would miss MRC, apparently will not. Once dialed in, most of the electronic settings will never be used, I do applaud the engineers for making them available to enjoy, sometimes my desires do change.

Last edited by Larry/car; 05-05-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

It's not like you are forced to use the different driving modes. Use what you like. Have you followed the seat adjustment instructions in the "Adjusting seats for maximum leg/head room" thread? There is a trick to getting the fullest adjustment. I'm sure you are already of this, but thee Driving Modes control a variety of parameters and none of the modes are duplicates of other modes:
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I do agree with the OP regarding the 5 modes. While neat, I will probably only ever use 3 of them and 2 of them will cover 80% of my driving.
S.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
It's not like you are forced to use the different driving modes. Use what you like. Have you followed the seat adjustment instructions in the "Adjusting seats for maximum leg/head room" thread? There is a trick to getting the fullest adjustment. I'm sure you are already of this, but thee Driving Modes control a variety of parameters and none of the modes are duplicates of other modes:
Yup done that. I guess I'll have to add blocks to the pedals if I want the seat reclined to the way I like it in my C6 and I may have to take a trip back to the dealer in regard to the tension on the seat belts.

I understand that each mode is different. I am suggesting a smaller list of modes/ options in favor of more customization and easier/quicker utilization for those of us who actually look at the gauges.

I agree with SoCalC7 we are all going to find and pick our favorite mode. As of now I only use the same two as Snorman
Old 05-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent detail, well done Tommy D.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Excellent detail, well done Tommy D.

Thank you
Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tommy D
As of now I only use the same two as Snorman
You only use "E"co and "W"eather too?

As an aside, I'm not sure when you plan on taking your car to Atco, but mine will be back up in Jersey soon. It would be interesting to line up a non-Z51 and Z51 car to see what differences there are same day, same track.
I'm going to a rental on the 19th, but not sure if I'll have the car back by then (would take another car if not).
S.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Snorman
You only use "E"co and "W"eather too?

As an aside, I'm not sure when you plan on taking your car to Atco, but mine will be back up in Jersey soon. It would be interesting to line up a non-Z51 and Z51 car to see what differences there are same day, same track.
I'm going to a rental on the 19th, but not sure if I'll have the car back by then (would take another car if not).
S.

Yup, love that eco mode . I had been planning on taking it later in the month if I could get Marc to part with a set of his drag radials.
I was more interested in getting some consistent times rather than fast times.

But the weather is way too hot and the C7 has a really bad case of heat soak as you may know after driving it around in Florida.

So I'll probably take it some time in the fall when it is cooler at one of the Cartek track rentals. I would expect the two to be very close in elapsed times
Old 05-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tommy D
Yup, love that eco mode . I had been planning on taking it later in the month if I could get Marc to part with a set of his drag radials.
I was more interested in getting some consistent times rather than fast times.

But the weather is way too hot and the C7 has a really bad case of heat soak as you may know after driving it around in Florida.

So I'll probably take it some time in the fall when it is cooler at one of the Cartek track rentals. I would expect the two to be very close in elapsed times
I haven't noticed any real heat soak.
When I ran the car in ~mid-80* weather at OSW in Florida, it still ran 11.7 at ~118 mph after idling through the staging lanes. That's not bad IMO.
It'll get to the track later this fall too. I think we'll see some cars running 11.3's this fall/winter.

I also think they'll be very comparable in terms of ET and trap speed.
S.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

I liked your write-up, but I thought your conclusion was WAY off base. If you have ever owned a European car, you will know that they are way behind when it comes to in-car technology and gizmos. Japanese and Korean cars are the ones with over-the-top tech.

This car is evolutionary, not an imitation of anything else. I also owned a 2005 C5 and the difference is huge. The C5 really started to show it's age.

I don't by the BS about it not looking like a Corvette and all the garbage about it lacking heritage. This car is a stunner and it's turning heads. Younger people are taking notice because its modern and exciting, not because they are being tricked into thinking its from Italy or Tokyo.

Change is hard for some in the Corvette community. I have now witnessed it first-hand for 4 generations of cars, three of which I have owned and this car is a 100X better than the prior ones. Not that I did not love my prior cars, but they can't hold a candle to this generation.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I like technology. The more they can pack in the car without adding weight, the better imo. It makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Change is hard for some in the Corvette community. [/QUOTE]

That's an understatement.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I agree with a lot of your comments, but disagree that the C7 has become too 'European'. Having owned a Porsche recently, and many BMWs, the C7 is so much different I can't begin to describe it. It is more visceral and feels completely different than the Porsche. The C7 team greatly improved the interior, and the chassis feels great. But, in no way do I see the car as any resembling European.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:21 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

OP--your idea: Hatch open = windows indexed down so hatch will close.

Brilliant!

GM, this could be included in a reflash, could it not? Help us out, please (I miss the hatch grabby thingy from my C6--this could be a cheap and weight-free solution.)

OP, great post. I agree with 90+% of what you say. Never hit the hatch button with my knee though! Thanks for taking the time to post your observations.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Great write up Tommy, the hatch/ window idea does make perfect sense. Even my wife's CC opens the windows slightly when exiting/entering the car.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 owner takes 2500 mile trip in the C7, my review.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:46 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Great review, thanks! As to closing the hatch, have you seen this?

Old 05-05-2014, 05:20 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Best detailed info I have seen to date on the C7, thank you.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
I liked your write-up, but I thought your conclusion was WAY off base. If you have ever owned a European car, you will know that they are way behind when it comes to in-car technology and gizmos. Japanese and Korean cars are the ones with over-the-top tech.

This car is evolutionary, not an imitation of anything else. I also owned a 2005 C5 and the difference is huge. The C5 really started to show it's age.

I don't by the BS about it not looking like a Corvette and all the garbage about it lacking heritage. This car is a stunner and it's turning heads. Younger people are taking notice because its modern and exciting, not because they are being tricked into thinking its from Italy or Tokyo.

Change is hard for some in the Corvette community. I have now witnessed it first-hand for 4 generations of cars, three of which I have owned and this car is a 100X better than the prior ones. Not that I did not love my prior cars, but they can't hold a candle to this generation.
When I stated European car it was in reference to the 5 driving modes and **** on the console just like the BMW. My fault I should have made a reference directly to the BMW.

Quick Reply: C6 owner takes 2500 mile trip in the C7, my review.