An Observation We Made Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Me Fast
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An Observation We Made Today

My husband and I swapped cars today. They are both ( of course ) C7s. His is a Premier Edition #17 convertible mine is a coupe 2LT. Both have the Z51 packages. We both noticed differences between the two cars. I noticed that his brakes were touchier than mine and his steering is stiffer. He noticed that my accelerator was more responsive and my brakes not as touchy. We both run in Sport mode, not using the paddle shifters. The coupe was built in Sept and the convertible was built in Jan. Thought this was pretty interesting.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:34 PM
C7_FlyBy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, that is interesting. I suppose the differences are based on production variances?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:47 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is some food for thought. While I can't comment much on the steering other than to wonder if you are feeling differences in tire air pressure or if the steering settings are over ridden in the infotainment system settings and he has his set to track in the steering settings or yours is set to Eco Mode.

As for performance feel, the cars computer is a learning system. If you are really easy on the gas pedal, the car will (based driving behavior) kind of respond accordingly. If you drive with a heavier foot, the car will be more responsive and vice versa. The other thing that comes to mind is milage. If his car has really low miles, it's still not completely broken in. For example, my gas milage really seemed to improve once I hit the 2000 mile mark. That tells me that the cars performance will improve as miles are accumulated.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Me Fast
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both cars are set up the same. I have 4300 miles and he has 2987 miles.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:38 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Similar experience here, but same driver and same model car. I had VIN #00076 as a base Stingray manual, delivered in October 2013. I exchanged it for the exact same configuration (but with competition seats) as VIN #16589, delivered in early March 2014. I had 3450 miles on car 1 and car 2 now has close to 2000 miles.

The later production car has tighter and more responsive steering, a stiffer but more precise shifter, and an overall improved "driving feel" that communicates more to my body about what the car is doing. Car 1 lacked "thrill factor" on the road. Car 2 has it.

This is true in all modes.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:44 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Similar experience here, but same driver and same model car. I had VIN #00076 as a base Stingray manual, delivered in October 2013. I exchanged it for the exact same configuration (but with competition seats) as VIN #16589, delivered in early March 2014. I had 3450 miles on car 1 and car 2 now has close to 2000 miles.

The later production car has tighter and more responsive steering, a stiffer but more precise shifter, and an overall improved "driving feel" that communicates more to my body about what the car is doing. Car 1 lacked "thrill factor" on the road. Car 2 has it.

This is true in all modes.
Reportedly there was an extensive EEC S/W update in Nov. 2013 that is dealer retrofittable. Could this account for the differences ?
Old 05-03-2014, 11:03 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I can't answer your question, as I only have experience on one half of your comparison. My P.E. Vert (#125) is freaking fun.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:14 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Are both your steerings set up to change with the mode or is one set to a fixed setting? Double check because I believe the defaults are different based on the version of your ECM code.

The brakes could be different due to break in bedding or possibly the less sensitive one needs to be bled.

The throttle response is learned. When I picked up my Silverado the throttle response was horrid. Within 500 miles it was 1000% better. It learned my lead foot and compensated and the system is identical on all GM DBW systems.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:46 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
As for performance feel, the cars computer is a learning system. If you are really easy on the gas pedal, the car will (based driving behavior) kind of respond accordingly. If you drive with a heavier foot, the car will be more responsive and vice versa. The other thing that comes to mind is milage. If his car has really low miles, it's still not completely broken in. For example, my gas milage really seemed to improve once I hit the 2000 mile mark. That tells me that the cars performance will improve as miles are accumulated.
I wonder if the computer can be reset after the engine break in period, to wipe the tame driving behavior from memory. My driving habits will change after the break in period, as I will be exceeding 4k rpm, sometimes quickly.

My Z4 35i computer could be reset. Nothing detailed in the owners manual. A Z4 owner posted how to do it on the BMW forum.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 05-03-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by owc6
I can't answer your question, as I only have experience on one half of your comparison. My P.E. Vert (#125) is freaking fun.

Love that technical explanation, Lisa. Ain't it great?

Get notified of new replies

To An Observation We Made Today

Quick Reply: An Observation We Made Today