Sponsored by:

Elite Engineering's Catch Can and Clean-Side Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 05:32 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
For the extra ~$15 I'd get the larger can Elite E2 "can"with two outlets. If you're not tracking now might just use a 1/4 NPT plug for the 2nd outlet that goes to a drilled hole in the air intake tube before the throttle body. Elite had said the 2nd outlet is useful from 2/3 to full throttle.
For the amount of time on a percentage basis mine is at full throttle I see no need, but I can add that line if there is evidence it's useful. If/when you use the 2nd line you need a check valve (~$12) so air from that line doesn't just go thru the "can" to the intake manifold! If installing just the one line, that replaces the OEM line and it's not needed. The OEM hose does not have one.
I also bought the optional AN fittings since it makes the "can" easy to remove when you want to wash the stainless ribbon material etc.
With the base car you have no place to put the clean air separator! I have one on my dry sump and for $99 it's extra insurance preventing oil in the air intake. Mine has never leaked a drop of oil!
On the 2nd line that needs a check valve which direction should the air be flowing? Should the air be flowing into the can?
Old 02-02-2016, 06:22 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
On the 2nd line that needs a check valve which direction should the air be flowing? Should the air be flowing into the can?
No. The air must not go into the "can" from that line or it will just go out the other "can" outlet into the manifold. The one they sell screws in the "can" and only allows air to leave the "can" taking crankcase blowby into the air duct before the throttle body.
Apparently reversion pulses in the manifold can reduce the suction at wide open throttle preventing sufficient crankcase fumes from leaving. These pulses apparently don't effect the air in the incoming duct.
However the "average" pressure in the air duct before the throttle body MUST be somewhat higher than the "average' pressure in the ,manifold or air won't flow in that direction!

Quick Reply: Elite Engineering's Catch Can and Clean-Side Oil Separator