Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 02:12 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I'm not sure there is such a thing as #3......
I agree with Ken. If it's a Z51 it has a dry sump. Non-Z51's have a wet sump.

Will there be a process for those of us who have already installed your product to exchange for the correct catch can?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Premmer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite Engineering
We will update our website purchasing to make this easier, but this is what you need:

1) Base C7
- Standard Catch Can with Single Exit Port, No Check Valve
- Clean-Side Separator is always a good option

2) Z51 with Dry Sump
-2nd Gen E2 Catch Can with two Exit Ports
- two check valves, one on each Catch Can Exit fitting
- Clean-Side Separator

3) Z51 with Wet Sump
-2nd Gen E2 Catch Can with two Exit Ports
- two check valves, one on each Catch Can Exit fitting
- Clean-Side Separator is always a good option
1) Base C7
- Standard Catch Can with Single Exit Port, No Check Valve
Wonder why GM thought there should be a check valve between the valley area and the intake manifold?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great information in this thread... Thanks.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:44 PM
vaugie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Elite Engineering
No problem, really sorry for the headache, but we'll make it right and guide you through the return/exchange program.

The C7 being direct injection is very subject to the intake valve coking issues (google search: " Direct Injection Intake valve coking" and click on images) as all DI engines have this issue.

GM has greatly improved the oil separating function of the valve cover and valley cover for 2014, but it is still an issue so ALL oil and related blow-by compounds must be trapped before they can enter the intake air charge....far more critical than ever in the past with any GM V8 before....so this is new to some that may not have been intimate w/DI engines (GM 3.6 v6 DI since 2008).

The Dry-Sump (Z51 option) is especially prone to this, not as much an issue with the Wet-Sump.

The importance of the dual outlets on the Catch Can is that many vette owners will run at WOT from time to time, and during that time there is zero measurable vacuum present in the intake manifold to maintain the correct direction of PCV flow, so adding that extra barb allows the flow to maintain proper direction because at WOT there is a good amount of suction just upstream of the Throttle Body where the reversion pulses do not reach (until over say 8,000 RPM which they won't reach).

You only need the check valve on the intake manifold side in this case.
Sorry, maybe I'm just a little confused here. PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation...so at WOT, wouldn't there be positive crankcase pressure venting out, into the can, and because there's pressure here, even if there was only modest vacuum from the intake manifold, how would the PCV flow ever be anything other than the correct direction? Looks like my order for a one port can was picked up this morning by FedEx, so perhaps I'm just trying to avoid returning it and getting the two port for my Z51.

Last edited by vaugie; 05-02-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Elite Engineering needs to edit this post and correct the misinformation. There are NO Z51 with a WET SLUMP. Show some pictures of the correct install. Please correct your information Elite Engineering is causing a lot of grief and trouble.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:18 PM
sirjames_CO
Heel & Toe

It is my opinion, at least with my Z51, ProCharger setup that there is NO OIL entering the intake from what Elite deems the "dirty side". We placed a Q-tip in the hose and there was no oil, dirt, etc. It came out clean. The oil supply canister was the culprit and we had a bunch of oil coming out of the SC BOV until Corvette Connections installed a catch can between the supply canister and the intake.

We no longer have oil entering the intake, but that catch can fills quickly. Seems odd that this is not corrected by GM.

I am still curious as to how much oil was entering the intake BEFORE supercharging. If stock C7 cars have this problem, then I think it is GM's problem...

-Jim
Old 05-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

All, thanks for your orders and your patience. We're on schedule to ship all orders complete next week.

Again, thank you and have a nice weekend

Old 05-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

Some additional information:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/w...ette-stingray/
Old 05-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Nicky43
Instructor

I'd like to hear from C7 owners who have installed this Elite Catch Can. Did you have the Z51 or not and which Can did you use?

I strongly believe in a catch can and have always run them and they are extremely important on DI Engines so I'm about to pull the trigger on this but the images shown in this thread by Elite of the C7 Engine bay do not look like mine as far as the hose routing for the Air Separator.

Did you guys have to buy any Vacuum hose to add the can? If so What size diameter hose and what length?

I have a Base model C7.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:43 PM
mb1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Installed mine over the weekend. I feel like this could fall out (as depicted in photo 3) since its not held in with anything. I wonder if anyone else felt the same or had any ideas

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Here's the photo that does not show in "Part 3":
Old 06-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 954 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Nicky43
I'd like to hear from C7 owners who have installed this Elite Catch Can. Did you have the Z51 or not and which Can did you use?

I strongly believe in a catch can and have always run them and they are extremely important on DI Engines so I'm about to pull the trigger on this but the images shown in this thread by Elite of the C7 Engine bay do not look like mine as far as the hose routing for the Air Separator.

Did you guys have to buy any Vacuum hose to add the can? If so What size diameter hose and what length?

I have a Base model C7.

Thanks in advance.

I have a base so installed the elite "good" can, all you need , as base cars don't "burp"

Last edited by Glen e; 06-08-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:42 PM
doneski
Instructor

So you have to drill into something to install this?
Old 06-08-2014, 11:44 PM
mb1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, you need to make a small drill hole in the rubber, at least on Z51 cars.

Originally Posted by doneski
So you have to drill into something to install this?
Old 06-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 954 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

READ:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/i...tructions.html
Old 06-09-2014, 12:57 AM
doneski
Instructor

Only problem I have with that is I installed the AFE CAI... So has anyone done that?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:59 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by doneski
Only problem I have with that is I installed the AFE CAI... So has anyone done that?
Yes...I posted about it w/ pics on the forum. Not an issue.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:21 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the same problem ordered the catch can but got the single outlet can and I have a z51. Left 2 messages but no return call.

Get notified of new replies

To Elite Engineering's Catch Can and Clean-Side Oil Separator

Old 10-15-2014, 01:35 PM
FormulaRedline
Intermediate

So, let me see if I understand this correctly, since I am in the process of installing my Elite Best unit. The outlet hoses from the catch (the sides) are being routed into the intake system, right? The 'Vaccum Barb "B"' is where exactly...post throttle body? Or is it pre-throttle body? From the pictures it looks post, but I would think that would be a source of leaked air into the intake.

The extra connection "C" for the Best unit is connected to the intake elbow, pre-throttle body. So if both of these are essentially connected pre-throttle, what's the difference between this and just venting it to atmosphere? In theory, if the catch can is doing its job, there is no oil coming out. Is it just a technicality to be emissions legal ("closed" loop)? Does it have something to do with the pressure drop in the intake?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:31 PM
tkbigsky
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably a great product just impossible to get ahold of them by phone or email. With non existent customer service just can't do business with them.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by tkbigsky
Probably a great product just impossible to get ahold of them by phone or email. With non existent customer service just can't do business with them.
Sorry you could not get them on the phone, they always responded to my emails when I left a phone message. But i would always follow a phone call message with with an email. I just updated my install PDF with an update of cleaning. Had mine for several months. http://netwelding.com/catch_can.pdf
On the bottom of page 6, you'll see the one line without the check valve goes to where the existing PCV line went, that is after the throttle body. The line you're replacing does not have (or need) a check valve. I elected not to install the line with the check valve, which goes to a hole drilled before the throttle body. If you use both lines you need one check valve, so it doesn't just move air from one side to the other thru the can.
If I was tracking the car (lots of prolonged full throttle operation) or had a supercharger, I'd add the other line. Instead I just have a plug threaded into that 2nd outlet hole.
You're call on dealing with who you want.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-15-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Elite Engineering's Catch Can and Clean-Side Oil Separator